Anything inherently wrong with skating MK Phantoms as muckaround skates? | Golden Skate

Anything inherently wrong with skating MK Phantoms as muckaround skates?

bunny_hop

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I used to skate as a teen, never to a particularly high level. Since then, I mainly roller and inline skate, and when I've sporadically ice skated for fun, I've used rentals (ugh). While it's mostly recreational skating, I do the odd waltz jump or whatever, so I couldn't use super soft rec skates like Softecs. So I've always checked secondhand shops to see if I could find some semi-decent skates that fit me, so that I could have sharp blades on the occasions when I do skate.

Today I found some Grafs (unsure of boot model) with MK Phantom blades, and bought them. The boots are stiff and pretty broken down. I'm assuming the blades are an older model and wouldn't sell for enough for me to use the proceeds to buy myself more suitable low-end figures skates, but they have a lot of edge left on them. I now skate roller and inline and do a lot of skate tinkering, plan to do the same with these skates and get them in useable shape for when I go recreational ice skating. I reckon the main issue will be the unnecessary stiffness of the boots; I used to use Coronation Ace blades so I doubt I'll trip on the toepicks of the Phantoms.

Does this sound like an inherently bad idea in any way?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone,

I used to skate as a teen, never to a particularly high level. Since then, I mainly roller and inline skate, and when I've sporadically ice skated for fun, I've used rentals (ugh). While it's mostly recreational skating, I do the odd waltz jump or whatever, so I couldn't use super soft rec skates like Softecs. So I've always checked secondhand shops to see if I could find some semi-decent skates that fit me, so that I could have sharp blades on the occasions when I do skate.

Today I found some Grafs (unsure of boot model) with MK Phantom blades, and bought them. The boots are stiff and pretty broken down. I'm assuming the blades are an older model and wouldn't sell for enough for me to use the proceeds to buy myself more suitable low-end figures skates, but they have a lot of edge left on them. I now skate roller and inline and do a lot of skate tinkering, plan to do the same with these skates and get them in useable shape for when I go recreational ice skating. I reckon the main issue will be the unnecessary stiffness of the boots; I used to use Coronation Ace blades so I doubt I'll trip on the toepicks of the Phantoms.

Does this sound like an inherently bad idea in any way?
Yes. If the boots are "pretty broken down" and the blades are too high level for you as well, then yes it's a bad idea. You need a boot and blade set-up that is appropriate to you and your skill level.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As you've already bought them, I'd recommend checking with a skate tech whether the blades are sellable for more than you paid. MK Phantoms are a far cry from Coronation Ace for somebody who does "the odd waltz jump" and it's not just the bottom toe pick that differs! I absolutely love Phantoms but I've seen other people scared to death by them or simply just struggle. I've sold on my 20 year old (hardly used) MK Dance blades for a decent price in the past. A good blade in good condition is always a good blade, but what you really need right now is the right boot and blade for you and I very much doubt whether Phantoms are in that set up. You want to enjoy skating. :wink:

bunny_hop

Spectator
As you've already bought them, I'd recommend checking with a skate tech whether the blades are sellable for more than you paid. MK Phantoms are a far cry from Coronation Ace for somebody who does "the odd waltz jump" and it's not just the bottom toe pick that differs! I absolutely love Phantoms but I've seen other people scared to death by them or simply just struggle. I've sold on my 20 year old (hardly used) MK Dance blades for a decent price in the past. A good blade in good condition is always a good blade, but what you really need right now is the right boot and blade for you and I very much doubt whether Phantoms are in that set up. You want to enjoy skating. :wink:
WednesdayMarch thanks, I reckon that's a good idea. I'll take them to a tech to have them sharpened at some point regardless, so that would be a good time to see if anyone would want them. If they are decent, it's not so much the money (even if I only made $20 "profit" or whatever) as the fact that I wouldn't want them to go to waste. As I said, I've become a bit of a skate tinkerer -- I'll skate anything (that fits my feet) at least once but equally would feel sad if good blades went to waste with me skating them once in a blue moon and not at an appropriate level.