Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva?

boskil

Match Penalty
Let's just say Evgenia has stolen some kilograms from Yulia and expect both girls to have a great season, ok? :biggrin:

Elizaveta Nugumanova is coming... JGP,beware! :scard7:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I'm not going to jump to conclusions about Zhenia's future but Liza won the WC after a very dominant season and then put on some stinker summer exhibitions. So I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant to make note of such things although I'm much more concerned with how cheesy and uncomfortable the program made me feel. Do I need to watch it again or was it really kind of a dud?
I agree with you. In the show Evgenia looks bigger and heavier than before, and it seems that growing pains are unavoidable especially for a female skater. I am a little worried about her jumps, just out of good intentions. :)

Now that she's grown up a bit more, her resemblance to Adelina Sotnikova has become even more uncanny! Seriously, last season Evgenia looked like Adelina's little sister, but now they could be twins! :laugh:
Although they two look very much alike, I think Adelina is more beautiful. Any in-depth analysis is not necessary here.:laugh:

Spiral

Final Flight
However the season for "medved" (bear) hunting started... Haters are activated and regain hope for her defeat... Not only here, but also in russian forums. In fact she is one of the most controversial female skater in Russia (among Yulia, Tuk, Adelina and Ilinykh)

You mean, all the successful Russian figure skaters? And they say that patriotism is currently in vogue there...

Just because she had some out of shape looking moments doesn't mean anything in regards to the upcoming season but I don't think it's some taboo to talk about how her 3t in combination was less than stellar. The bear is still a jumping machine and I don't think it makes anyone a hater and I'm not sure why everyone is being so defensive and sounding the alarms :unsure:

It's not a taboo, it's just pointless. And I'm sure everybody has some less than stellar combos/jump attempts throughout the season, but it's only Evgenia's that garner so much attention, dour predictions and even talk about her changed appearance, like we are all blind here, apparently from the presumption that if one repeats something enough times, enough people will start believing it, despite what their eyes tell them. So, yes, I agree with Hugo - the bear hunting season has started. Luckily, it's just a fan forum that won't affect anything. I won't be surprised if next season the bear will eat up all the competition again.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Just because she had some out of shape looking moments doesn't mean anything in regards to the upcoming season but I don't think it's some taboo to talk about how her 3t in combination was less than stellar. The bear is still a jumping machine and I don't think it makes anyone a hater and I'm not sure why everyone is being so defensive and sounding the alarms :unsure:

Nugamoanov was there doing 3-3's right? In fact...since JGP starts earlier she is probably training a bit harder than the seniors. Her SP is really solid IMO!!
In the off season or not, everyone here should have their say on anything in which they are interested. To say the least, not a single skater is flawless in different ways.

Sam, Nugumanova might be very sad to read this post of yours. Do you know why? :laugh:

Pracygr

On the Ice
You mean, all the successful Russian figure skaters? And they say that patriotism is currently in vogue there...
Public forums are never very representative of general public to begin with: you have to be fairly obsessed with a topic to go out and discuss it with strangers, which immediately puts you in minority compared to most people. And then Russian forum culture is pretty terrible on top of that. As soon as a particular board becomes too toxic, sensible people move away, leaving disproportionately high number of not quite as sensible people to simmer in that toxic environment. Such thing isn't really exclusive to Russia, it will likely happen to any board if it's allowed to go on without good moderation. The problem specific to Russia is that good moderation is rarely a thing, and many users already assume that mud throwing is the way public forums are meant to be. So yeah, not the best source of if you want to know what an average person thinks about things.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's not a taboo, it's just pointless. And I'm sure everybody has some less than stellar combos/jump attempts throughout the season, but it's only Evgenia's that garner so much attention, dour predictions and even talk about her changed appearance...

Um... are you joking? Because everyone gets scrutinized here. Satoko every single time she jumps. Adelinas name alone can open a can of worms all on its own. Julia got the exact same "she'll lose all her jumps next season when she's not just some skinny little waif anymore" comments (I actually think she got way worse). Elena last season got so many harsh comments because of her struggles with her jumps and less than stellar programs. It sure gets too harsh sometimes around here, or people might jump the gun, but there's certainly no "bear hunt" going on.

Besides - it was one poster making a "doom & gloom" post? Who even apologized about it? Most of what's coming afterwards is basically defending Evgenia, up to some pretty overblown posts too, IMO. Saying one thinks her appearance has changed to a more womanly one sure isn't bashing or '"hunting". And simply pointing out that the combo 3T's were iffy isn't either. It's like some people are waiting to find the "haterz".

Spiral

Final Flight
In the off season or not, everyone here should have their say on anything in which they are interested. To say the least, not a single skater is flawless in different ways.

Yeah, let's all of us have a say about everybody's imperfections, like a thread per each fall, underrotation and wrong edge per skater during the season.

Um... are you joking? Because everyone gets scrutinized here. Satoko every single time she jumps. Adelinas name alone can open a can of worms all on its own. Julia got the exact same "she'll lose all her jumps next season when she's not just some skinny little waif anymore" comments (I actually think she got way worse). Elena last season got so many harsh comments because of her struggles with her jumps and less than stellar programs. It sure gets too harsh sometimes around here, or people might jump the gun, but there's certainly no "bear hunt" going on.

Besides - it was one poster making a "doom & gloom" post? Who even apologized about it? Most of what's coming afterwards is basically defending Evgenia, up to some pretty overblown posts too, IMO. Saying one thinks her appearance has changed to a more womanly one sure isn't bashing or '"hunting". And simply pointing out that the combo 3T's were iffy isn't either. It's like some people are waiting to find the "haterz".

It's all in the sense of proportion. Evgenia had one fall in a show in July, and only in the last three pages of this thread there are half a dozen posts to the effect that her technique leaves a lot to be desired and/or her figure has changed a lot. And I've also noticed that all the skaters you mentioned are Russian and one Japanese.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's all in the sense of proportion. Evgenia had one fall in a show in July, and only in the last three pages of this thread there are half a dozen posts to the effect that her technique leaves a lot to be desired and/or her figure has changed a lot. And I've also noticed that all the skaters you mentioned are Russian and one Japanese.

No, really, like 6 posts in 3 pages isn't a lot and especially when it's fair game to critice her technique and skaters techniques in general. And I really don't think the body changes comments were mainly meant negatively (IMO, she changed but looks better).
Because I thought of Evgenias closest competition first, so mainly Russian examples. That list is so incomplete though. You could bet on "Ashley needs to retire" popping up at least once every season. The headcase jokes regarding Gracie sometimes reach really bad levels. And apparently Jason Browns ponytail alone ruins all the vital masculinity and credibility in Mens Skating. Are the american examples better?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Actually I believe all skaters get their portion of critique here:scratch2: People aways find something to complain about.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I thought the point of GS in the offseason was to watch summer shows, look at skaters' pics, discuss the news when there are any (like programs, GP assignments, interviews, coaching changes, training camps, etc.) and relive favorite moments with the other fans (love the original programs and favorite choreo details threads in this sub-forum). Honestly, I'd rather predict what the weather will be like in March, because that's much more reliable (2-3 snowstorms, because that's what happens every year in March where I live) :).
This is only your own subjective understanding. Don't force your ideas on others this way.

Yeah, let's all of us have a say about everybody's imperfections, like a thread per each fall, underrotation and wrong edge per skater during the season.
Your reasoning is really lame, unfortunately. Evgenia is a newly crowned WC, who is attracting not only more and more followers around the world, but also growing dissections from ordinary FS lovers, with which I see nothing wrong.

andromache

Record Breaker
When anybody skated as flawlessly as Evgenia did last season, there's going to be critiques and dissections when she makes mistakes. Maybe one or two users is out to be mean or unfair, but I think we're mostly all just discussing the possibilities of the upcoming season. Evgenia could be not on her game because it's the off-season, and that's fine! But there's no denying how much her body has changed, and it's also possible that will impact her results next season, which will in turn impact everyone else's results.

Plus, I don't think anyone is "critiquing" Evgenia's figure. (People can critique technique all they want, that's fair game.) They're simply point out the change in her body and speculating. If Hanyu came out looking like he had put on weight or something, people would speculate about how that could affect his skating, too. IMO, I'm glad to see Evgenia looking like a healthy young woman! The body changes female skaters go through might not be desirable because of the impact it has on their jumps, but they're 100% normal. Acting like it's somehow wrong to acknowledge that GASP a teenager is putting on weight where all teenagers put on weight is what really blows my mind.

I hope to see her at the top of her game in October/November. Though she'll be hard-pressed to top her LP this past season, IMO. LOVED it.

ETA: And lest we forget, it's the off-season. There would be less talk about this one performance of Evgenia's if we had anything else to talk about! But any little thing in the off-season is going to get discussed to death because we're all bored. Let's get some news on Gracie's music choices so instead we can all switch over into "BUT LORI AND FRANK WON'T LET HER SKATE TO WHAT SHE WAAAAAANTS THAT'S WHY SHE CAN'T WIN" mode ;).

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you. In the show Evgenia looks bigger and heavier than before, and it seems that growing pains are unavoidable especially for a female skater.

I agree she looks bigger, and I think she looks better. Evgenia isn't the first female skater who appears to have successfully put off inevitable body changes, probably because of their strenuous training during the season and restrictive calorie consumption. Going way back, Ekaterina Gordeeva dieted during the 1987-88 Olympic year, by her own admission in her book.

I'm encouraged to see Evgenia looking like she's allowed her body to take a course which was inevitable. This is the perfect time to do it. Given what I've seen of her talent and determination, I'm not very worried about her. I'll leave others to speak about jumping technique, but even if she has to change it, hey, others have done so successfully.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree she looks bigger, and I think she looks better. Evgenia isn't the first female skater who appears to have successfully put off inevitable body changes, probably because of their strenuous training during the season and restrictive calorie consumption. Going way back, Ekaterina Gordeeva dieted during the 1987-88 Olympic year, by her own admission in her book.

I'm encouraged to see Evgenia looking like she's allowed her body to take a course which was inevitable. This is the perfect time to do it. Given what I've seen of her talent and determination, I'm not very worried about her. I'll leave others to speak about jumping technique, but even if she has to change it, hey, others have done so successfully.

Oooooh, I like this post a lot. Better to deal with the body changes now than to try and put them off longer with an Olympic year looming ahead. Smart thinking!

(And I still have my fingers crossed for an Olympic battle between post-pubescent, issues all behind them Yulia and Evgenia!)

Sweet Dream

Final Flight

I shall be only too pleased to see her getting through this period successfully. :)

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oooooh, I like this post a lot. Better to deal with the body changes now than to try and put them off longer with an Olympic year looming ahead. Smart thinking!

(And I still have my fingers crossed for an Olympic battle between post-pubescent, issues all behind them Yulia and Evgenia!)

Thank you! And yes, I too was thinking about Yulia vs. Evgenia. Yulia looks so good in recent pictures, and I imagine that has something to do with gaining confidence and power by being accepted for herself as she is now.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oooooh, I like this post a lot. Better to deal with the body changes now than to try and put them off longer

I read an interview with the actress Liv Tyler. Her mother had her in a modeling career and on a strict diet. When she was 15, Liv said "no more," quit modeling, and within months she shot up about six inches. To me, that is very dramatic, and a clear indication of what constant dieting can do.

Spiral

Final Flight

I see no evidence of Evgenia having any issues, at least as of now (not everybody struggles during puberty), but I'd be ecstatic to see Yulia and Evgenia battling for Olympic gold in a year and a half. Of course, I'll be torn too, because I love both of them (and a number of other lady skaters too), but mostly I'll be happy to see them both at the peak of their powers, and eventually it won't matter who was first and who was second at the OG. Both of them will have a thriving professional career and a long lasting legacy. It's the skaters who don't make the Olympic teams because of quotas (e.g. Russian ladies, Japanese single skaters, American and Canadian ice dancers, American men, Chinese and Russian pairs) that I'll be very sorry for.

I read an interview with the actress Liv Tyler. Her mother had her in a modeling career and on a strict diet. When she was 15, Liv said "no more," quit modeling, and within months she shot up about six inches. To me, that is very dramatic, and a clear indication of what constant dieting can do.

Wow! I applaud Liv Tyler for having so much common sense and an independent mind at fifteen.

Last edited: