Article: Strong Spirit Defeats Fractured Spine | Golden Skate

Article: Strong Spirit Defeats Fractured Spine

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Due to extensive traveling, Ruh encountered coaching difficulties throughout her skating career. "I never lived in my home country and yet skating for it made room for a lot of politics to get in the way with training and competitions," noted Ruh. "I started off well in 1986 with Mr. Nobuo Sato, but being on a foreign team with the stress of the politics was too much for both of us."

More

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Thank you Paula

This is a great article. I love her skating. She is so beautiful, artistic, so talented. I wish she hadn't had to pursue the jumps, and I would rather see her skate with SOI than some of the current people. One of the most elegant women on the ice, I could watch her skate and spin for hours. Another huge talent reminds me how ugly many of the jumping beans are to watch in comparison with her.

Bring Lucinda back to the ice, Chris Dean and Scott!

An interesting and well-writen piece. Check out the cute picture!

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/images/lucindaruh.jpg

Lucinda says that when she had a growth spurt and shot up to 5'9" this gave her a higher center of gravity and she was never able to get her sense of balance back for jumping. I wonder if this change, however, helped to make her the world's premier spinner.

Here's a funny item. She worked with Toller Cranston as a coach, but it didn't work out because both of them were so deep into the artistic side of the sport that she didn't get any training on the technical side.

Mathman:)