Ashley Wagner's future | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's future

FlattFan

Match Penalty
when was the last time Ashley had a 3x3 fully rotated in a high pressure event?
When was the last time she had a 7 triples?

Akiko? Akiko who upped her technical skills the past 2 years? Not the same.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I wonder how you'd feel about people saying the same about Rachel Flatt competing as US #1 in 2010 having "had her chance" (especially given her 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 season).

Flatt was not gifted with natural talent like Mao/Yuna/Carolina. She did what she could and did the best of her abilities. She's now in school, thriving. Where is Ashley?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Flatt was not gifted with natural talent like Mao/Yuna/Carolina. She did what she could and did the best of her abilities.

You can say the same for Wagner too.

The comparison to Suzuki is fair, but even she has a world medal, which Wagner does not have.

janav

On the Ice
I see similarity between Ashley and Alena Leonova. They are both great performers (Leonova's SP this year is my favourite) but lack a bit in the technical content. Alena is propably(and sadly IMO) done because of the quantity of talented Russians but Ashley still has few good years in front of her. The fact that she's not under so much pressure can only help her. Looking forward to see her in TEB. Then again, I'm not that much interested in who gets the medal or not, I'm very subjective when it comes to programs I like.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Still skating and winning medals?

BOOM!

FlattFan, you're making it seem as if Ashley has turned into Caroline Zhang or something. No, Ashley is not the most talented skater in the field but it's obvious from her scores and results that she is still competitive even without a 3-3 or 7 triples. That's saying something...

Chris_E

On the Ice
You can say the same for Wagner too.

The comparison to Suzuki is fair, but even she has a world medal, which Wagner does not have.

Didn't she achieve that at a later age than Ashley? She has the right to keep trying as long as she wants. No one knows the future, this could be her year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Didn't she achieve that at a later age than Ashley? She has the right to keep trying as long as she wants. No one knows the future, this could be her year.

I'm not saying Wagner can't try or won't get one in the future - I was simply stating a fact. Until Wagner is able to win one, that will continue to be the case. That's all.

And I agree, stranger things have happened.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm not saying Wagner can't try or won't get one in the future - I was simply stating a fact. Until Wagner is able to win one, that will continue to be the case. That's all.

And I agree, stranger things have happened.

Agreed, but remember the field Akiko was competing in around the time she won that world medal. It was one of the weakest international fields we've had in a really long time. Yu-Na was gone, Miki was gone, Mao was still struggling with her jumps, Carolina was performing junior level content and no one did anything harder than a 3T-3T. Needless to say I don't see the sport suffering another technical regression of that magnitude any time soon.

I do think it will be much harder for Ashley to get herself on a world podium in this field of ladies b/c the level of competition is much higher than it was back when Akiko medaled but, as R.D. said, much stranger things have happened.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley competed in the same field when akiko won her world medal. Ashley probably won't be saying it was the weakest field ever.

Icey

Record Breaker
Agreed, but remember the field Akiko was competing in around the time she won that world medal. It was one of the weakest international fields we've had in a really long time. Yu-Na was gone, Miki was gone, Mao was still struggling with her jumps, Carolina was performing junior level content and no one did anything harder than a 3T-3T.
Gedevanishvilli (excue spelling) did a 3lutz-3t in the short, but all the rest only did 3t-3t and more of those were done in the short program than the long.

lefeury

Rinkside
I like the comparison to Akiko, different types of artistry but wow Ashley can put down some beautiful programs and so far this year has been handily rewarded. What's with all the hate!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley is one of the only skaters in the current field who can sell a performance whether she's landing 1 triple or 7. That's one thing she has over the Russians who are slated to be above her this season. In that sense she's kind of a Leonova too... Not many "performers" today so I'm glad Wagner continues to bring at least that even when the jumps fail her.

Matilda

Medalist
Just here to wish Ashley the best of luck in TEB. I love her spirit and commitment to her perfoirmances. Go Ashley! :cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has anybody noticed that Ashley got 2nd in her event and has not received much attention from Icenetwork or USFSA?

"Gold takes Bronze at Skate America" There was a nice article about that. I think Ashley deserves some love too. She is a former national champ and does add some spice to the current ladies competing both at home and internationally. In any event, I hope you are correct and that she will get some media attention this week!

(1) New interview with Wagner as she competes at TEB:
Wagner finds inspiration in performing for audience
Two-time U.S. champion says she still gets a rush from competition

Posted 11/21/14 by Jean-Christophe Berlot
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/11/21/102080632

(2) Contrary to your posts, I would say that IN gave plenty of love to Wagner for her Skate Canada results.

Six paragraphs about Wagner's silver and lotsa quotes from her were in IN's article about the final Ladies results in Kelowna. The article devoted more space to Wagner than to the winner or to any other lady.
Russian-of-the week Pogorilaya wins Skate Canada
Wagner takes silver on strength of components; Miyahara bags bronze

IN's article on the Ladies SP at Skate Canada had four paragraphs on Wagner, including quotes from her. She got more ink than Pogorilaya, who won the SP.
Another week, another Russian: Pogorilaya leads
Two-time U.S. champ just 1.42 points out of first; Leonova takes third

Posted 11/1/14 by Klaus-Reinhold Kany
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/11/01/100278854

And I'm sure that USFS gave Wagner prominent billing in its press releases about Team USA's results at Skate Canada. (I will let you look them up yourself.)​

(3) Bottom line: Wagner was not snubbed. What I meant in my earlier post is that after coverage of Skate Canada was completed, it was only natural that IN's attention turned to competitors at the GPs taking place in each subsequent week.

Last edited:

lefeury

Rinkside
thank you golden411 for posting the articles, I actually hadn't seen them. I love the new interview as it echos what I have seen in her skating this year so far and such a great attitude. I also have noticed in the universal and NBC footage that she is commented on in a positive way in the preview to the shows as well as Gracie.