Boot/blade advice needed | Golden Skate

Boot/blade advice needed

SnowFox

Spectator
Hi all,

I need some advice on my boots/blades and there’s a few things going on, so bear with me. I’m an adult skater who’s been skating for about a year now (not counting lockdowns). I’m at pre-freeskate level, currently working on one-foot spin w/ entry, waltz jump and mazurka. I have Jackson Freestyles w/ stock Aspire XP blades which I’ve been using since I started taking group lessons. I’ve always had some amount of pain when wearing them, but kept chalking it up to the break-in period (even after several weeks). I thought maybe I’m just not skating enough for my feet to adjust (3-6 hrs/week). At this point the only customization to my boots was heat molding. I had issues with lace bite and to this day still skip a few eyelets. At first I even skipped the eyelet around the ankle but that wasn’t allowing my heel to lock in the boot correctly.

Finally I bit the bullet and wanted to try different insoles to see if they’d help, and went for custom heat molded Superfeet (I just really wanted the pain gone at this point). The stock insoles were very heavily worn down in the big toe area specifically, and my skate tech called my feet “unique” (not exactly what you want to hear for figure skating). I immediately felt the difference in arch support, and was able to “feel” my blade a lot better, and it seemed an improvement at first but now I’m once again experiencing pain, just in different areas. I have high arches (I think) and they cramp up very quickly when skating. I was kind of just toughing it out but I don’t think having to take preemptive painkillers before a 25 minute skating lesson and still feeling pain to the point of needing to stop and lift my feet off the ice halfway through should be the norm?

My other issue is now that I’m working on spin entry, I’m having a lot of trouble getting onto my spin rocker. I can spin, but always kinda end up scraping my toe picks. I’ve read that this is a common issue with the Aspire XP blade, that it just has a bad spin rocker. I mentioned this and suggested getting Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades to my skate tech (yeah I was ready to dump that $$ just to get over the frustration) but he told me the MK Pro has a shallow rocker and I will just end up on the toe picks more. Instead he added a thin plate between the boot and blade to lift the pick off the ice more. That DID help, but my spins still scrape a lot. Also it’s once again causing pain in different areas (big toe and inside ball area) and now my arches are painful and crampy even half a day after getting off the ice - and I only skated for maybe 15 minutes before giving up in frustration. I think I’ve only been able to get that smooth spinning noise 2-3 times ever since I started skating.

I’m just at the end of my rope at this point because I’ve been struggling with these issues for weeks now and the past couple times I’ve left open skate sessions much sooner than I would’ve liked. The pain was bearable before because I was making good progress but now I feel I’m at a standstill and it’s just frustrating.

I was planning on treating myself and splurging on new skates soon, but I was hoping to get a few more levels out of my Freestyles before retiring them. I did manage to score some brand new Wilson Majestic blades in my size for a steal, they should arrive next week and I’m hoping they’re an improvement. I was ready to splurge on pricier blades but if these do the trick, it’ll be nice to save that $$ for whatever blades I’ll need for my new boots. Since these are my first pair of skates I’m not sure what boots are “supposed” to feel like, but the Freestyles have always felt sort of awkward and “clunky” to me. I’ve never felt particularly confident or stable in them.

Any advice to maybe help alleviate pain to get some more life out of my Freestyles? Suggestions for boot brands to try? And if you’ve read this far, thank you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,

I need some advice on my boots/blades and there’s a few things going on, so bear with me. I’m an adult skater who’s been skating for about a year now (not counting lockdowns). I’m at pre-freeskate level, currently working on one-foot spin w/ entry, waltz jump and mazurka. I have Jackson Freestyles w/ stock Aspire XP blades which I’ve been using since I started taking group lessons. I’ve always had some amount of pain when wearing them, but kept chalking it up to the break-in period (even after several weeks). I thought maybe I’m just not skating enough for my feet to adjust (3-6 hrs/week). At this point the only customization to my boots was heat molding. I had issues with lace bite and to this day still skip a few eyelets. At first I even skipped the eyelet around the ankle but that wasn’t allowing my heel to lock in the boot correctly.

Finally I bit the bullet and wanted to try different insoles to see if they’d help, and went for custom heat molded Superfeet (I just really wanted the pain gone at this point). The stock insoles were very heavily worn down in the big toe area specifically, and my skate tech called my feet “unique” (not exactly what you want to hear for figure skating). I immediately felt the difference in arch support, and was able to “feel” my blade a lot better, and it seemed an improvement at first but now I’m once again experiencing pain, just in different areas. I have high arches (I think) and they cramp up very quickly when skating. I was kind of just toughing it out but I don’t think having to take preemptive painkillers before a 25 minute skating lesson and still feeling pain to the point of needing to stop and lift my feet off the ice halfway through should be the norm?

My other issue is now that I’m working on spin entry, I’m having a lot of trouble getting onto my spin rocker. I can spin, but always kinda end up scraping my toe picks. I’ve read that this is a common issue with the Aspire XP blade, that it just has a bad spin rocker. I mentioned this and suggested getting Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades to my skate tech (yeah I was ready to dump that $$ just to get over the frustration) but he told me the MK Pro has a shallow rocker and I will just end up on the toe picks more. Instead he added a thin plate between the boot and blade to lift the pick off the ice more. That DID help, but my spins still scrape a lot. Also it’s once again causing pain in different areas (big toe and inside ball area) and now my arches are painful and crampy even half a day after getting off the ice - and I only skated for maybe 15 minutes before giving up in frustration. I think I’ve only been able to get that smooth spinning noise 2-3 times ever since I started skating.

I’m just at the end of my rope at this point because I’ve been struggling with these issues for weeks now and the past couple times I’ve left open skate sessions much sooner than I would’ve liked. The pain was bearable before because I was making good progress but now I feel I’m at a standstill and it’s just frustrating.

I was planning on treating myself and splurging on new skates soon, but I was hoping to get a few more levels out of my Freestyles before retiring them. I did manage to score some brand new Wilson Majestic blades in my size for a steal, they should arrive next week and I’m hoping they’re an improvement. I was ready to splurge on pricier blades but if these do the trick, it’ll be nice to save that $$ for whatever blades I’ll need for my new boots. Since these are my first pair of skates I’m not sure what boots are “supposed” to feel like, but the Freestyles have always felt sort of awkward and “clunky” to me. I’ve never felt particularly confident or stable in them.

Any advice to maybe help alleviate pain to get some more life out of my Freestyles? Suggestions for boot brands to try? And if you’ve read this far, thank you.
Hi and welcome! okay you have alot going on here so bear with me.

First of all, high arches, are your feet wide, narrow a little of both? That would help with brand and style suggestions for boots. High arches already make me want to say Risport.
As far as lace bite: Bunga pads are your friends, get some and wear them and lace your boots properly all the way up (unless breaking boots in then leave the very top unlaced).
Lastly, your blades: you just downgraded in blades as majestic are a recreational blade. And your "tech" was wrong about the MK Pros and I would still look at getting those (or even better) Coronation Ace for your new boots when you get them....will be world of difference you are looking for.

You might need to look for new skate pro and real figure skate fitter pro, and if you provide where you are, myself and others here can usually tell you who to go to.

Good luck! :)

SnowFox

Spectator
Hi and welcome! okay you have alot going on here so bear with me.

First of all, high arches, are your feet wide, narrow a little of both? That would help with brand and style suggestions for boots. High arches already make me want to say Risport.
As far as lace bite: Bunga pads are your friends, get some and wear them and lace your boots properly all the way up (unless breaking boots in then leave the very top unlaced).
Lastly, your blades: you just downgraded in blades as majestic are a recreational blade. And your "tech" was wrong about the MK Pros and I would still look at getting those (or even better) Coronation Ace for your new boots when you get them....will be world of difference you are looking for.

You might need to look for new skate pro and real figure skate fitter pro, and if you provide where you are, myself and others here can usually tell you who to go to.

Good luck! :)

I was told my feet were a little narrow, but was fitted with 8.5 mediums. The thing is when I try to measure myself using online guides I might have needed a 7.5? Obviously a fitter would know better but just an observation.

I'll get pads and try lacing them up the normal way again. I've tried so many lacing patterns at this point trying to find something that works, lol.

From what I read I was under the impression the Majestics were about the same level as the Aspires, but oh well. They really were a steal and maybe I'll just resell them or try them out to see how I like the 7' rocker.

I live in the Seattle area but I'm willing to travel. Honestly at this point I'm willing to do anything to get relief from the pain and start progressing again because it's seriously killing my enjoyment of the sport. :confused:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I see a couple of red flags in your posts. First things first: what is your regular, street shoe size? Because the discrepancy you described could fully explain the pain you're having and the extra wear from the big toe (if the boots are too big, you will intuitively clench your toes to keep your foot from moving around). Properly fitted boots are between one to two whole sizes smaller (depending on the boot maker) than your street shoes. If you were *correctly* fitted for 8.5 size skates, I would assume your street shoe size is a 10. Is that the case?

Second, no, actually, lots and LOTS of people who sell skates don't know diddly squat about how to correctly measure and size someone. So in fact you are usually better off assuming that someone that works in a skate/pro shop does NOT know better than you.

SnowFox

Spectator
I see a couple of red flags in your posts. First things first: what is your regular, street shoe size? Because the discrepancy you described could fully explain the pain you're having and the extra wear from the big toe (if the boots are too big, you will intuitively clench your toes to keep your foot from moving around). Properly fitted boots are between one to two whole sizes smaller (depending on the boot maker) than your street shoes. If you were *correctly* fitted for 8.5 size skates, I would assume your street shoe size is a 10. Is that the case?

Second, no, actually, lots and LOTS of people who sell skates don't know diddly squat about how to correctly measure and size someone. So in fact you are usually better off assuming that someone that works in a skate/pro shop does NOT know better than you.

My regular size is a 9.5, and I mostly wear only Merrells or similar wider toe box/minimalist type shoes. Reason being that more traditional footwear tends to pinch my toes a LOT. Before I found that brand, it was pretty much a given that I would get blisters, skinned toes and a half blue big toenail (wish I were exaggerating) every time I went for a longer walk/hike.

My tech did comment on the big toe wear when he made my custom insoles but I think he assumed it was more due to me not tying the ankle eyelet and locking my heels into the boot properly, causing my feet to slide forward. He's known as being "the guy" in the area and has been working with me since I got my skates, but wasn't the person who originally fitted me. I figured I was in good hands since he came highly recommended by basically everyone around me. And to be fair when I had just started out I had absolutely no idea (and still not quite sure I do) of how a boot feels when it's "right", so I assumed the pain was just due to initial break-in. With these newer sturdier insoles it's hard to tell if there is a similar wear pattern, but it does look like there is once again heavier pressure in all the toes. I've also tried taking the insoles out and stepping on them to check fit, there is a slight overhang on the outside edge (but not the toes, only the side) and inside ball area. There is about a .5" gap between the top of the insole and my big/middle toe (I also have Morton's toe).

I did find a local podiatrist who is a figure skater, so maybe I should go see her and see what she says about my feet. I'm not afraid to splurge a little on my next pair of boots, and I know some people go through many before finding "the one", but I'd like to try and get as close as I can and not be equally disappointed after spending 2-3x the amount I did on my Freestyles. If push comes to shove I've been considering roadtripping down to California because there seem to be quite a few pro shops there who know what they're doing.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My regular size is a 9.5, and I mostly wear only Merrells or similar wider toe box/minimalist type shoes. Reason being that more traditional footwear tends to pinch my toes a LOT. Before I found that brand, it was pretty much a given that I would get blisters, skinned toes and a half blue big toenail (wish I were exaggerating) every time I went for a longer walk/hike.

My tech did comment on the big toe wear when he made my custom insoles but I think he assumed it was more due to me not tying the ankle eyelet and locking my heels into the boot properly, causing my feet to slide forward. He's known as being "the guy" in the area and has been working with me since I got my skates, but wasn't the person who originally fitted me. I figured I was in good hands since he came highly recommended by basically everyone around me. And to be fair when I had just started out I had absolutely no idea (and still not quite sure I do) of how a boot feels when it's "right", so I assumed the pain was just due to initial break-in. With these newer sturdier insoles it's hard to tell if there is a similar wear pattern, but it does look like there is once again heavier pressure in all the toes. I've also tried taking the insoles out and stepping on them to check fit, there is a slight overhang on the outside edge (but not the toes, only the side) and inside ball area. There is about a .5" gap between the top of the insole and my big/middle toe (I also have Morton's toe).

I did find a local podiatrist who is a figure skater, so maybe I should go see her and see what she says about my feet. I'm not afraid to splurge a little on my next pair of boots, and I know some people go through many before finding "the one", but I'd like to try and get as close as I can and not be equally disappointed after spending 2-3x the amount I did on my Freestyles. If push comes to shove I've been considering roadtripping down to California because there seem to be quite a few pro shops there who know what they're doing.
Have you seen Rick at Highland Ice yet? That is who I would send you to in the Seattle area.

SnowFox

Spectator
Have you seen Rick at Highland Ice yet? That is who I would send you to in the Seattle area.

Yep, that's literally who I've been working with and where I take classes. He didn't do my initial fitting though (didn't know any better at the time), which may have been the mistake. 😭

Should I just insist to get fitted by him for new boots and see what he suggests? I have to admit I'm a little hesitant at this point.

Edited to clarify: I WAS fitted at Highland, but not by Rick. I haven't been to any other pro shops in the area and always done everything through them.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yep, that's literally who I've been working with and where I take classes. He didn't do my initial fitting though (didn't know any better at the time), which may have been the mistake. 😭

Should I just insist to get fitted by him for new boots and see what he suggests? I have to admit I'm a little hesitant at this point.

Edited to clarify: I WAS fitted at Highland, but not by Rick. I haven't been to any other pro shops in the area and always done everything through them.
You can try to ask to be fitted by Rick. But if you do want to travel to California, I (and others) can suggest good fitters there too.

SnowFox

Spectator
You can try to ask to be fitted by Rick. But if you do want to travel to California, I (and others) can suggest good fitters there too.
I mean... I don't want to, but I will if I have to. I'll ask about a new fitting and see what he says. At this point I feel like a bit of a pest and that these attempted fixes should have helped me by now. 😅

Which brands would you recommend? Looking at some comparisons, it seems that Riedell/Risport/Edea are good options for Greek feet? Do you think the Coronation Ace blades are a good option for my level, or should I consider something different? Moving forward I do intend to get through the rest of the free skate levels and eventually private lessons to get as far as they can take me. I don't have illusions of competing or anything, but I do enjoy challenging myself the best I can.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Which brands would you recommend? Looking at some comparisons, it seems that Riedell/Risport/Edea are good options for Greek feet? Do you think the Coronation Ace blades are a good option for my level, or should I consider something different? Moving forward I do intend to get through the rest of the free skate levels and eventually private lessons to get as far as they can take me. I don't have illusions of competing or anything, but I do enjoy challenging myself the best I can.
I have high arches and feet that are wider at the toe joint and have found Risport to be a good fit. Edea were all kinds of wrong and I couldn't even lace up the Riedells I tried but YMMV. We are all different. I have just had my Risports punched out at the toe to help with the oedema from my pain medication. All kinds of things are possible to help get the right fit, but it really does help if you're fitted with the best possible option to start with. I think in your position I'd ask for Rick to start again with your fitting and boots. He seems to be the recommended chap and should be able to sort you out. There comes a point where there's really little point in flinging more money at a problem which could probably be best cured by starting again with new boots.

As to the blades, Coronation Ace is pretty much always the right answer. I strongly feel that they are the best intermediate blade out there and they will take you very happily from where you are at the moment, through an epiphany with your spinning to pretty much anywhere you want to go, unless you decide to specialise in dance at higher levels.

And there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't compete if you want to. Adults can and do compete as there are opportunities for that all over the world. The adult skating scene is vibrant and competitive and don't let anyone tell you that you're "too old" to do anything!

SnowFox

Spectator
I have high arches and feet that are wider at the toe joint and have found Risport to be a good fit. Edea were all kinds of wrong and I couldn't even lace up the Riedells I tried but YMMV. We are all different. I have just had my Risports punched out at the toe to help with the oedema from my pain medication. All kinds of things are possible to help get the right fit, but it really does help if you're fitted with the best possible option to start with. I think in your position I'd ask for Rick to start again with your fitting and boots. He seems to be the recommended chap and should be able to sort you out. There comes a point where there's really little point in flinging more money at a problem which could probably be best cured by starting again with new boots.

As to the blades, Coronation Ace is pretty much always the right answer. I strongly feel that they are the best intermediate blade out there and they will take you very happily from where you are at the moment, through an epiphany with your spinning to pretty much anywhere you want to go, unless you decide to specialise in dance at higher levels.

And there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't compete if you want to. Adults can and do compete as there are opportunities for that all over the world. The adult skating scene is vibrant and competitive and don't let anyone tell you that you're "too old" to do anything!
Sounds like Risport so far is the winner in terms of suggested brands for me. I'm pretty much on the same page at this point as far as starting over with a better fit. Admittedly the Freestyles might have been the best fit at that time because we were taking into account budget and whether or not I would be sticking with it (I decided I wanted to try figure skating fairly arbitrarily and even made myself wait a year to make sure it was still something I wanted to do before springing for my own pair).

I have an appointment for tomorrow so hopefully we'll get something sorted out. I've already accepted that I may have to fling more money at this - but at least if I start over I won't be beating a dead horse trying to fix my current boots. I'm sure I'll be spending at least twice as much on a new boot/blade combo, but at this point I'll do anything to alleviate the pain and frustration of not being able to skate as long as I'd like. I've also got an appointment with a podiatrist next week, I'm interested to see what she says and it can't hurt considering some custom orthotics.

Question about blades - there are some brand new Coronation Ace Revolution parabolic blades available for the same price as regular Coronation Ace blades right now ($250 vs $350), would that be worth it? Is there a risk of "overblading" or is the only risk to my wallet if I decide I really like these blades and the time comes to replace them? There are also some used P99 blades available for $100 which seems like a steal but I'm not experienced enough to tell how much life is left in them. Is buying used blades pretty much a bad idea unless you know the exact condition from the previous owner?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There are also some used P99 blades available for $100 which seems like a steal but I'm not experienced enough to tell how much life is left in them. Is buying used blades pretty much a bad idea unless you know the exact condition from the previous owner?
Buying used blades is a bad idea unless you yourself are competent (or someone you know for sure is competent) to independently evaluate the condition of the blade.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Sounds like Risport so far is the winner in terms of suggested brands for me. I'm pretty much on the same page at this point as far as starting over with a better fit. Admittedly the Freestyles might have been the best fit at that time because we were taking into account budget and whether or not I would be sticking with it (I decided I wanted to try figure skating fairly arbitrarily and even made myself wait a year to make sure it was still something I wanted to do before springing for my own pair).

I have an appointment for tomorrow so hopefully we'll get something sorted out. I've already accepted that I may have to fling more money at this - but at least if I start over I won't be beating a dead horse trying to fix my current boots. I'm sure I'll be spending at least twice as much on a new boot/blade combo, but at this point I'll do anything to alleviate the pain and frustration of not being able to skate as long as I'd like. I've also got an appointment with a podiatrist next week, I'm interested to see what she says and it can't hurt considering some custom orthotics.

Question about blades - there are some brand new Coronation Ace Revolution parabolic blades available for the same price as regular Coronation Ace blades right now ($250 vs $350), would that be worth it? Is there a risk of "overblading" or is the only risk to my wallet if I decide I really like these blades and the time comes to replace them? There are also some used P99 blades available for $100 which seems like a steal but I'm not experienced enough to tell how much life is left in them. Is buying used blades pretty much a bad idea unless you know the exact condition from the previous owner?
Do NOT buy the used P99s. Or P99s at all, new or secondhand. I've seen far too many skaters buy them and swear that they love them when in actual fact they have really stunted their progress.

Whilst I'd definitely say that Coronation Ace are the blade to pick, there's little point in going for the Revolution (lighter) or Parabolic versions at this stage of the game. You won't feel the benefit of the parabolics until you have really good edges and if you go for lighter blades at this stage of the game, you'll totally miss the benefits when you could really use them which comes at a much higher level than you are at the moment. Go with the traditional version.

And please don't buy the Pattern 99s. Seriously. Just don't.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'll sum this up quickly: Don't buy used blades. You can overblade and you don't require P99's at this point and in contrast to other posts in this thread: Pattern 99 is not a bad blade if you are the level and have the skills to actually use it, they are not bad at all, I and other elites/Pros have used them for years and love them and it hasn't stunted us in any way.

Parabolic is a no for you and most people TBH. Also, when you do buy an intermediate blade: Coronation Ace or MK Pro, just get the standard ones, you don't need the fancy Rev blades and they aren't that great anyway especially if you like to do catch foot spins.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'll sum this up quickly: Don't buy used blades. You can overblade and you don't require P99's at this point and in contrast to other posts in this thread: Pattern 99 is not a bad blade if you are the level and have the skills to actually use it, they are not bad at all, I and other elites/Pros have used them for years and love them and it hasn't stunted us in any way.

Parabolic is a no for you and most people TBH. Also, when you do buy an intermediate blade: Coronation Ace or MK Pro, just get the standard ones, you don't need the fancy Rev blades and they aren't that great anyway especially if you like to do catch foot spins.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean that P99s are in any way, shape or form a bad blade - quite the contrary! - just that I've seen too many skaters who are nowhere near the skill level to use them, buy them and really put back their own progress. (One in particular is breaking my heart as she's so disillusioned with her own lack of progress but can't or won't see that her equipment choice was very wrong.) For the people who are the right level, they can be great. I think they're a bit of a love/hate blade amongst the higher level skaters but for those they suit, they're fabulous. Blades are very much a matter of personal taste, but Pattern 99s won't help your skating in any way if you're not of the appropriate level to use them.

What Ic3Rabbit says above is absolutely on the mark. (As per usual!)

SnowFox

Spectator
Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone! I got refitted and asked what he'd have put me in and apparently my feet are annoying enough to do best with a fully custom boot. That said he felt like a semi-custom would work for me and decided on Jackson Premieres with a split C/E width and lowered heel height. I thought for sure I had a high arch but apparently it's actually kinda low, maybe it's my high instep deceiving me. I'll be getting Coronation Ace blades to match and was also suggested Legacy 8/Matrix Legacy blades as possible alternatives.

My wallet is bleeding but I did expect to pay around this much so it wasn't really a shock. I just keep telling myself it's an early birthday present since they should be arriving right before/around then. 😂

Until then I'll be getting my current boots modified to hopefully alleviate my suffering a little until the new ones arrive. I was planning on keeping them anyway and maybe mounting pic skates for off-ice eventually. I'm really excited to get new stuff and put in way more hours on the ice making progress without pain again. 😄

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone! I got refitted and asked what he'd have put me in and apparently my feet are annoying enough to do best with a fully custom boot. That said he felt like a semi-custom would work for me and decided on Jackson Premieres with a split C/E width and lowered heel height. I thought for sure I had a high arch but apparently it's actually kinda low, maybe it's my high instep deceiving me. I'll be getting Coronation Ace blades to match and was also suggested Legacy 8/Matrix Legacy blades as possible alternatives.

My wallet is bleeding but I did expect to pay around this much so it wasn't really a shock. I just keep telling myself it's an early birthday present since they should be arriving right before/around then. 😂

Until then I'll be getting my current boots modified to hopefully alleviate my suffering a little until the new ones arrive. I was planning on keeping them anyway and maybe mounting pic skates for off-ice eventually. I'm really excited to get new stuff and put in way more hours on the ice making progress without pain again. 😄
Stay with the coro ace blades, they're great and especially for spins. You will eventually regret it if you get Legacy 8/Matrix blades.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Great news! You'll never regret the Coronation Aces. I hope you can use your current boots for off-ice wheels of some sort. It's great fun, provided you can find a suitable surface.

Happy skating!