Brian Boitano Sings ! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano Sings !

Jill

On the Ice
I don't think he did too bad, but keep up the lessons, Brian. As for being off pitch, Darlene Love, one of the best singers alive, sings just slightly off key, and I think it works well for her.

Regarding Carly Patterson, every now and then, isn't there a gymnastics/skating cheese fest on Wide World of Sports? I think it's a way for the Olympic gymnasts to cash in. One big problem is, the time frame. Correct me if I'm wrong, you always do, but I think it's just about impossible for one gymnast to perform a three minute routine on an apparatus. Three minutes is nothing to a seasoned figure skater. Ensemble numbers are a different story, but that's not feasable in a skating show.

Linny

Final Flight
Balance Beam

And the camera was set so that when Carly did her floor work, the balance beam was in the way. Dumb mistake. Real shame, too, because it's not like she's going to have a ton of chances to be on TV.
Linny

JillLaQ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong,............., but I think it's just about impossible for one gymnast to perform a three minute routine on an apparatus. Three minutes is nothing to a seasoned figure skater.
That's a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. That may account for why Carly spent so much time in her program just resting and posing.
"...you always do..."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: This gives me an opportunity to apologize for some of the things I said in our political discussions over in the Cafe in November. More heat than light on my part, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Mathman:)

Jill

On the Ice
That's okay, Mathman, I don't get offended. But it's very kind of you to apologize. I was just joking when I said "you always do." I would hope everyone feels comfortable enough to put in their two cents-and you know that I sure do!

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I'd rather listen to Brian sing than have another Diana DiGarmo song. :laugh:

I thought Brian did fine. I wouldn't suggest he take it up as a profession, but I thought it worked fine in the context of the show. I recall reading somewhere that he once appeared in a cabaret type of show with other people for an AIDS benefit in San Francisco, and I thought that was great of him to risk doing something out of character for a great cause.

Bubbles

Rinkside
>I recall reading somewhere that he once appeared in a cabaret type of show >with other people for an AIDS benefit in San Francisco, and I thought that was >great of him to risk doing something out of character for a great cause.

Actually, he's done it for several years in a row. He usually sings a comic duet with Mary Jo Catlett, a singer/actress.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I didn't catch the very start of the show, but for some reason I think I have heard him sing before and thought he was decent. Otherwise though, IMO the show was terrible:

The whole Carly Patterson thing didn't fit in. And I found watching her powder her hands very awkward. It seemed obvious that maybe that wasn't supposed to be shown. Generally I think gymnastics and skating don't work too well together in this case. After skaters moving quickly across the ice and constantly moving around doing impressive tricks and such and then we are focused on the this little mat at the end of the ice where she is performing, perhaps equally as difficult, elements but essentially staying in one place and not being a big attention getter.

I wasn't a fan of the Diana DeGarmo portion either. I didn't find her song at all fantastic and the outfit was "unflattering" to say the least! :p That sweater was horrible!

Also, I'm afraid the skaters weren't particularly ones that I found interesting to watch.

Sorry Brian!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, isn't anybody going to say anything about Katarina Witt's special last Sunday?

mpal2

Final Flight
Does anyone know if Katarina's will be re-aired? My power blinked out in the middle of Yuka's skate with the live singer and it came back on in the middle of Steven Cousins. I really want to get all of Yuka's program. :cry:

Linny

Final Flight
Katt Witt's special

It was the best pro or exhibition type skating special that I've seen this season. Every number was better than the next. The group numbers meshed well. Even Jason Dundjen was looking pretty snazzy (and he doesn't usually stand out, especially when the cast includes Steven Cousins).
Linny

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
At least he was singing live (as far as I could tell) and not lip-synching. Did you notice how out of breath he was after his skate, when he was trying to announce the cast?

Mathman

Yes, I noticed that Brian was huffing and puffing. Guess the singing really got to him. Just kidding, of course. Maybe he's a bit out of practice, and he's not used to landing those jumps?