Brown: " I want to be me" | Golden Skate

Brown: " I want to be me"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brown, who stood in fourth after the short program, gave a near-flawless free skate which featured eight triple jumps. The rest of his routine to “The Scent of Love” from The Pianosoundtrack was highlighted by his level four spins and footwork which received high grades of execution (GOE). The 23-year-old earned 179.44 to move up to third place overall (269.22).
“I feel great!” said Brown. “You know it’s been a tough year I feel like I’ve been chasing something all year. When I got assigned with this event, I (knew that I) just can be me. And I want to be me, the best I can be me. Kind of embrace who I am, love who I am. I went out there, and it wasn’t trying to prove anything or trying to be someone I wasn’t. It wasn’t an easy road to get here.”
On the new upcoming rule change, Brown said it’s the job of the skaters to figure out how to maximize their potential.
“When you get to a point where the skaters are able break records and push those rules, it’s that time to change it up again and you are in a system where you try to break those records and push those boundaries,” he explained. “I think it’s exciting. Until we try it and you’re in it, you kind of know whether it’s better or worse. I think it’s an exciting opportunity and we’ll see how it goes next year.”
This was the American’s first senior ISU Championship medal for the skater, and when it sank in, he got emotional.
“It was not just a senior championship medal for me right now,” said Brown. “I overcame so much this season. I continued to fight and I continued to get up every time I fell, literally. I’m so proud to be up here with these two men. They are incredible. I cannot wait to cheer them on at the Olympic Games. Just to be able to be here and pick myself up after these U.S. Championships and kind of prove to myself that I’m here, I have so much to give, I love to perform and just being able to do that is like…I can’t even put it into words.”
More...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many of these great interviews and stories, I'm not able to keep up .... but of course I read this one.;)

Crying happy tears again after that redemptive skate. Yes, Jason, you did prove yourself after the disappointing US Nats:yay:

And please please please bring The Piano to SOI:pray:

slider11

Medalist
I have watched Jason's LP from the 4CCs several times. THAT is skating. THAT is what the US judges were looking for to send him to the Olympics. It didn't happen and the 3 men who are going deserve it. But there is no doubt to me that Jason would have made his mark on the Olympics. Likely, one of the super-jumpers will capture the gold and maybe the podium. But I am waiting to watch Patrick, Javi, Misha and Adam skate. And I think others will do the same. Jason will be watching too but, hopefully, we have not seen the last of him.

amc987

On the Ice
Does anyone know why Jason went back to his program to the "The Piano" soundtrack for 4CC? It was exquisite, but I also loved this season's program to "Inner Love". I wonder if Jason had been struggling with the latter all year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The title of this thread makes me think Jason should skate to This is Me from the Oscar nominated original song from The Greatest Showman although I kind of think it might be a more thematic song for Adam Rippon - heck they both can skate to it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have watched Jason's LP from the 4CCs several times. THAT is skating. THAT is what the US judges were looking for to send him to the Olympics. It didn't happen and the 3 men who are going deserve it. But there is no doubt to me that Jason would have made his mark on the Olympics. Likely, one of the super-jumpers will capture the gold and maybe the podium. But I am waiting to watch Patrick, Javi, Misha and Adam skate. And I think others will do the same. Jason will be watching too but, hopefully, we have not seen the last of him.

I'm so happy for him, and I don't think we've seen the last of him at all. I think he still likes competing and hopefully will like it even more now!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for giving us more quotes from Jason!

It was great to see him win his first ISU championship medal!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not just a great quote from Jason, but it reminded me at the beginning of the season, Misha Ge wrote on an IG post: I will not do anyone else, I will do me. And look how Misha’s season turned out.:)

Can’t wait to see how Jason skates next year as the “best he can be me”:clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Who wouldn't want to be Jason, though?

Especially if it happens to come with a shiny new medal, 680 ISU ranking points and $8,000 in prize money? ;)

I kid. All the stuff above is nice, of course, but it did seem that Jason was the most ease with himself here then he's been all season. It would have been nice if it came together sooner, but if this is indeed the end of his season (we'll see if he ends up at Worlds as the 1st alternate) it's a great finish for him.

:cheer:

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Not just a great quote from Jason, but it reminded me at the beginning of the season, Misha Ge wrote on an IG post: I will not do anyone else, I will do me. And look how Misha’s season turned out.:)

Can’t wait to see how Jason skates next year as the “best he can be me”:clap:

Well, for me this season is - apart from unexpected results and too many injuries/withdrawals - about finding an individual way to successfully embrace of who you are in competitive environment, finding an ease to express yourself more 'truthfully' /authentically as a person on ice, not only as a character to be projected/created in competitive program. I really feel that Jason, Misha and Adam succeeded in this approach, or more like they stood out in the field - their programs (more or less successfully executed) mirror their skating sensibility in more than ever personal sense for me, putting them as centerpieces of program and exposing something beyond just 'show' notion.

And it paid off in my opinion, even when we take Jason's lack of Olympic qualification - I really felt that all 3 of them connected with audiences on more 'intimate' level this season by 'doing themselves', digging more into how they see their skating and want to created it than submitting into someone else's vision/outlook how they should be. Between Jason's musicals flair and intricate lyricism, Misha's classical repetoire auto-creation with rawness in emotional sense of performance and Adam's proved sass and poise whether he stands firmly on the ground or is ready to spread his wings and fly they all made cases for themselves and found a way to reach their audience, often touching people way deeper than just program's visual.

I think that Jason is doing the best when he is 'doing himself', not really separating his persona from his skating - and it is great to see him finding that state again at 4cc; I can only hope that what he put on ice there will confirm his words and give him a boost in right direction. Because he is all about giving, doing it with so much emotion and honesty that is so rare nowadays, to see a skater who is that compassioned and authentic in his love for skating and discipline in general. This is something unique and should be accepted as a part of competitive reality, even if not getting high results and being frowned upon by some. It is just unusual to see so much enthusiasm over sole fact of having an opportunity to express your own personality in competitive reality where being in certain role is so important. At the same time, for me it is refreshing and eye-opening perspective to see through figure skating overall, adding that joy and excitement over performance moment than just seeing skaters, their pedigree, results or people's expectations for them; it is good to not only see this freedom and exuberance, but to actually feel it embodied by Jason every time I watch him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks for giving us more quotes from Jason!

It was great to see him win his first ISU championship medal!

Is this really his first ISU Medal?? For some reason, I thought he'd medaled at this very event. It must have been Joshua Farris I was thinking of. Congratulations Jason!!!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is this really his first ISU Medal?? For some reason, I thought he'd medaled at this very event. It must have been Joshua Farris I was thinking of. Congratulations Jason!!!!!

He finished sixth at both of his two previous appearances at 4CC. And yes Joshua Farris won silver in 2015.

Last edited:

Libby96

Rinkside
I know Jason has medaled at some Grand Prix events. Is this considered different than an "ISU Championship Medal" because those are a limited field of 12 skaters?

It was so delightful to see him end his season on a high note. Kudos to Max Aaron too, on his "redemption" skate.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know Jason has medaled at some Grand Prix events. Is this considered different than an "ISU Championship Medal" because those are a limited field of 12 skaters?

It was so delightful to see him end his season on a high note. Kudos to Max Aaron too, on his "redemption" skate.

Hi Libby! The ISU Championship events are : Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, European Figure Skating Championships, World Figure Skating Championships and World Junior Figure Skating Championships. They are considered a "bigger" deal because they involve a larger field of skaters and happen at season's end. They also yield more ranking points. Also at championships, you get a small medal if you place in the top 3 in each segment. So Jason got a medal for the completion and a small bronze medal for his placement in the free skate.

Also belated welcome to Golden Skate. Post often and post long!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great way for Jason to end his season! I hope he'll have some wonderful memories of this in his head as he prepares for next season...And thank you Jason for being the cheerleader in the green room!

Bcash

Final Flight
He's already him. And fans have embraced (indulged) him for all this time.'

My personal opinion on Jason: 1. Get a hair cut. 2. Get rid of the elaborate wrist action, at least for a program like Hamilton. It's comical.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's already him. And fans have embraced (indulged) him for all this time.'

My personal opinion on Jason: 1. Get a hair cut. 2. Get rid of the elaborate wrist action, at least for a program like Hamilton. It's comical.

Jason has pretty much said the pony will go next year, although I think his decisions about his look have nothing to do with what fans think. He's very independent minded that way. :biggrin: And Lin Manuel Miranda, the creator of Hamilton, is fine with Jason's "elaborate wrist action", so I think I'll go with his opinion on the choreo.;)

Of course Jason's fans have supported him all this time, and I hope we would continue to do so. Isn't that what fans do? :clap: "Indulge" is a interesting word; it makes me think of tolerating some lesser skills or effort on behalf of a skater.:scratch3: I assure you that Jason's fans support the superior artistry and skating and spinning skills he brings to the ice, and that has nothing to do with "indulging" as I hear it. But perhaps it was not meant that way....