Can and will they come back? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Can and will they come back?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If theo come back I hope it is not with Zueva. They really need to be stretched and they need to let the Shibs be no. 1 with Zueva.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
i am inviting posters to share their opinions about skaters/teams who may be struggling, injured or semi retired to talk about will these skaters come back and be competitive.

1. Carolina Kostner - I still am not sure but she is progressing so we will see. But to be honest she is not bringing anything new or reinvigoration really. I mean spin doctors will say that but I haven't seen that yet. The short program may be an attempt and to be honest from another skater it would be marked as a bit of a disaster despite the attempt to be "artistic" with someting different.

2. Virtue and Moir - while they are not necessarily bringing something really new this team has brought a refinement and connection not seen by the other teams I was worried thejudges would not embrace them and gift the French but it appears they have a chance

3. Julia Lipnskaiya - I really want her to come back with a vengeance but mentally, physically and injury wise plus timing - so many good Russian skaters make this really hard. There is something charming about her but another time and another country who knows what could have been.

4. SK/K - I am not sure they will make a huge top 5 or medal break through but they will have a successful comeback if not for the factor the USA has no one else. Brutal but true - that's why a team with no competitoins under their belt for the last year is going to worlds and 4ccs without having to recently prove themselves.

5. Davis and White - I think we will know within a month after worlds. I don't know if they want it bad enough. I think in their case they have more to lose - better ending up on a high note. They are very popular at least on this site but if they do come back I really hope they can find their niche - they were just a real good dance team but not overly specially. Technically great, well polished and consistent whereas v and m would make errors leet alone the Russians. But they imho don't have the connection or real deep down passion of say even Navka and kostmorov, Bestmianova and Bukin, Krylova and Oksianikov, Klimova and Ponamoroenko, Anissina and Peizerot or V and M. Let them be - gold medallists.

6. Gracie Gold - in a year we will know. I do think she will try to reinvigorate herself. I think she needs to 'get out of the pool' and stop flailing. Find what she wants. The thing is she is the most talented skater in the world and has all the natural things favoring her - looks, athleticism, grace even the name and resources. She might be the one who does it at the olympics which with my bias would be a little unfortunate to those Michelle Kwan's who have shown great consistency but that is life.

7. Kavaguti and Smirnov - I feel so sorry for this team. Two major injuries and both ironically may have ended their olympic dreams. The Russian Fed never really seem to back this team and they got pushed down the Russian ranks. THey are aging and it makes it so hard to come back from such a serious injury as Kavaguti who is such a fighter but with age and this injury/surgery it seems like it might be too much - not to mention they are not the pets. Mind you a lot depends on S and K as well as V and T - will they compete next year and are they healthy.

8. Jeremy Abbott - wonderful skater but I think his time has passed. He needs a consistent quad and I doubt the American federation will back two pretty skaters (Jason Brown) with inconsistent or non existent quads.

9. Jason Brown - I just don't know if he will get the quad but I am not sure he is in the comeback category - he will be held up with his pcs but next year if Vincent Zhou and Adam Rippon compete well and Adam has the quad toe and or lutz and Jason doesn't I would say bye bye Jason. Well liked, popular, you had your chance, you had the backing time to give others the chance. You will always have your fans - but who knows he m ight get the quad and he is a gorgeous skater (I am not against him but I just think for exampleAdam too is an exquisite skater - though he might want to not dotoo campy programs - not sure if it is appreciated by judges.

10. ET - Liza so sad to see her just sort of dye on ice. She just isn't doing it technically or artistically and with the Russian battlegrounds the 2015 world champ seems a memory.

11. How could I forget Mao. I think she will give it a valiant try but she needs to address not relying on h er reputation, skating skills or the 3A I think she needs to look at her other jumps and in particular she needs a 3 3 in the short though I can see 3loop 3loop combo and 3 flip with the issues with her lutz givingg her a competitive program. She needs maybe some time off ice to heal. Retrain the 3A and get the 33 combo.

12. Coomes and Buckland - I think this team has huge potential in part because the secondary Russians are flailling and falling but they are not exactly a particularly outstanding or unique team. But being the British champs and not a lot of competition I expect they will be at the Olympics but not as a top 5 threat which at one point i thought might happen.

Carolina will, for sure, be winning or getting silver at many events soon. I have confidence in her completely after her showing at Euros. I am not sure about Julia. I love her so much. She is my favorite senior russian lady but I do not think she will make the Olympic team next year :(. Gracie is a gamble.. She has said so many times this season " Oh, I am finally over Worlds. I am ready to fight!" and then each time she falters again she says "I was not really over worlds yet". Again, now she swears she is ready for next season and has put that monumental dissapointment in the past but who knows? I think she is taking MANY good steps. New coach, skating with her good friends, living by herslef, NOT taking any time off. But we will have to see. I also doubt a Mao comeback. Again, a favorite skater of mine but her season was simply disastorous. I think she was injured though so maybe when she heals? There is just so much competiton in Japan though.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
D/W Announcement definitely about Love on the Floor.

andromache

Record Breaker
Josh Farris is going to make the comeback of the century. He's doing 4Ts and working on 4Ss in practice. I'm hoping to see him on the GP circuit next season. He might not be Olympic-podium ready next season, but he will still be bringing gorgeous performances and effortless jumps. The competition for who makes the US team next season just got more insane.

Gracie Gold will make it to the Olympics next season. It'll be a triumph for her compared to this season's disaster.

Carolina can win another Euros medal next season, and maybe a few GP silvers or bronzes too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the reference point regarding Meryl Davis and Charlie White, see this tweet from NBC Olympics' Nick Zacardi:

https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/830149467286364160

Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who haven't said if they're retiring or going for PyeongChang, are scheduled to be on Today Show on Feb. 22.

My guess is they will be there to promote Stars on Ice, but there is probably going to be an announcement in there too.

lyndichee

Medalist
For the reference point regarding Meryl Davis and Charlie White, see this tweet from NBC Olympics' Nick Zacardi:

https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/830149467286364160

My guess is they will be there to promote Stars on Ice, but there is probably going to be an announcement in there too.

Based on that sentence, I think they will definitely confirm if they will be back or not. I am leaning towards yes, they will come back. Ice dance is too interesting for them not to want to be in the mix against V/M, P/C, and rejuvenated ShibSibs. I don't think they should but I feel like all this uncertainty for 3 years and the teaser, there could be something huge coming up.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Based on that sentence, I think they will definitely confirm if they will be back or not. I am leaning towards yes, they will come back. Ice dance is too interesting for them not to want to be in the mix against V/M, P/C, and rejuvenated ShibSibs. I don't think they should but I feel like all this uncertainty for 3 years and the teaser, there could be something huge coming up.

I'm actually leaning toward no myself. I just don't get that vibe that they want to comeback and they seem quite content in their post-competition lives. I think they have 300 percent during Sochi and I'm not sure they want to exert that much energy again.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose anything is possible, but I'll be shocked if Meryl and Charlie decide to come back.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I suppose anything is possible, but I'll be shocked if Meryl and Cheryl decide to come back.

I understand what you mean with your typo or whatever hahaha auto correct. :rofl: And I agree.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I understand what you mean with your typo or whatever hahaha auto correct. :rofl: And I agree.

Lol. I read that quoted post and could not find any mistake for a while until I found and cracked up laughing. Our brains just read what they want to correct discrepancies. Meryl & Cheryl. Autocorrects make the funniest bloopers of them all.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm actually leaning toward no myself. I just don't get that vibe that they want to comeback and they seem quite content in their post-competition lives. I think they have 300 percent during Sochi and I'm not sure they want to exert that much energy again.

And as others have said, Charlie's getting pretty political on social media lately, which he has every right to of course, but that doesn't strike me as someone about to comeback to try for the Olympics.

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
I have no doubts gracie will come back. As marina said, Raf is just nathans jump coach but she makes him love what he does :laugh: I believe Marina Zueva can bring out the girl from 2012-2014 who just loved to skate and attacked her programs!! And obviously training with Patrick and Nathan will surely be motivational and will push her a lot. For those worried about gracie not having carly anymore, its about time she becomes more independent. Maia can be gracie's carly too!!:hap93:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have no doubts gracie will come back. As marina said, Raf is just nathans jump coach but she makes him love what he does :laugh: I believe Marina Zueva can bring out the girl from 2012-20014 who just loved to skate and attacked her programs!! And obviously training with Patrick and Nathan will surely be motivational and will push her a lot. For those worried about gracie not having carly anymore, its about time she becomes more independent. Maia can be gracie's carly too!!:hap93:

JFarrisFAN, love the positive vibes for Gracie. It's welcomed and refreshing!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have no doubts gracie will come back. As marina said, Raf is just nathans jump coach but she makes him love what he does :laugh: I believe Marina Zueva can bring out the girl from 2012-20014 who just loved to skate and attacked her programs!! And obviously training with Patrick and Nathan will surely be motivational and will push her a lot. For those worried about gracie not having carly anymore, its about time she becomes more independent. Maia can be gracie's carly too!!:hap93:
Maybe Patrick should work with Raf with the jumps time is ticking.

jcoates

Medalist
It's official: D/W will not compete in Peyongchang. Announced on the Today show this morning.

No surprise IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have no doubts gracie will come back. As marina said, Raf is just nathans jump coach but she makes him love what he does :laugh: I believe Marina Zueva can bring out the girl from 2012-2014 who just loved to skate and attacked her programs!! And obviously training with Patrick and Nathan will surely be motivational and will push her a lot. For those worried about gracie not having carly anymore, its about time she becomes more independent. Maia can be gracie's carly too!!:hap93:

Well something is going to give probably with Zueva. She can't be focussing on major dance teams, the men's OGM fave or co fave in Nathan and a desperate and fading maybe even has been in Chan and basket case Gold. I still believe in Gold - she has it all if she can deal with her demons. As for Chan I REALLY love his pure skating and if it weren't for a quad fest and the current scoring system he might do well but the world is changing and Nathan is the way. With the push for quads we may see some very eratic results. Call it exciting, call it just a hot mess, whatever.

Last edited: