Rusty blades , are they worth sharpening ? | Golden Skate

Rusty blades , are they worth sharpening ?

Imtryingskating

Spectator
So basically my skates are Rusty and I don’t really want to sharpen them since I got them only a few weeks ago and have only skated about 5-8 hours on them . To me they don’t look to bad but then again I’m a beginner (also don’t worry I will take care of them ) Anyways thoughts will they be dangerous or cause more damage to my skate if I don’t skate on them ( the other one has absolutely no rust)
5-D08-B91-C-F3-F3-4119-83-CE-37-E25-E8-BD586.jpg

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
So basically my skates are Rusty and I don’t really want to sharpen them since I got them only a few weeks ago and have only skated about 5-8 hours on them . To me they don’t look to bad but then again I’m a beginner (also don’t worry I will take care of them ) Anyways thoughts will they be dangerous or cause more damage to my skate if I don’t skate on them ( the other one has absolutely no rust)
As far as I know, the damage is more likely to happen if you don't remove the rust and let them sit like that. If I'm reading the picture correctly, the rust is in the groove between the edges and not on the sides? The blades wouldn't need sharpening after so few hours since you're a beginner and not wearing the edges down much, but a light sharpening would clean off the rust at the same time as a side effect. If there are no dedicated figure skate shops in Cornwall, is there at least a counter at the rink where you skate that rents skates, and should then have someone who sharpens the rentals and could give you advice on what to use as a rust remover? If you can't find anyone, you can try using a steel wool pad with a very light touch and see how much of the rust you can clean off yourself. (I can hear the tech people on GS gasping in horror, but I'm just suggesting a stopgap measure.) As for your worry about your blade being dangerous to skate on, that would be more likely if you don't remove the rust and it erodes the edge over time. A small erosion or tiny chip worn off a blade can cause a fall if you happen to press on that spot while turning or stroking, and is not a pleasant surprise.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but I was only in Cornwall once about 40 years ago, visiting relatives, and have no idea how much the skating environment may have changed since then. There wasn't anything in that county in the way of professional sales or maintenance then, but I hope it has expanded since. I remember my pairs partner and I skated an exhibition in a rink in Exeter, but why and for whom I don't recall. My Cornwall visit was in the summer and I didn't even have my skates with me so I wasn't looking around for rinks or skate shops. All I can really think of, advising blind, so to speak, is to show the blade to someone at the skate rental counter and ask for a suggestion.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know enough about blades to tell you what to do, so I'll leave that to the professionals, but for the future: why did your blades get so rusty? Are you taking care of them? Do you have soakers?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know enough about blades to tell you what to do, so I'll leave that to the professionals, but for the future: why did your blades get so rusty? Are you taking care of them? Do you have soakers?
She had a previous post under a different title. She'd packed her skates in a hurry to travel from London to Cornwall and left the guards on them instead of soakers. One blade was still damp. The first question was asking if there were skate sharpeners in Cornwall, and I replied that, living on the Pacific coast of Canada I didn't know but that a hockey-playing relative who lives in Cornwall has mentioned taking his skates to Devon for sharpening. This second question grew out of that.

Imtryingskating

Spectator
She had a previous post under a different title. She'd packed her skates in a hurry to travel from London to Cornwall and left the guards on them instead of soakers. One blade was still damp. The first question was asking if there were skate sharpeners in Cornwall, and I replied that, living on the Pacific coast of Canada I didn't know but that a hockey-playing relative who lives in Cornwall has mentioned taking his skates to Devon for sharpening. This second question grew out of that.
Yup , I was just wondering what my opinions were , thanks for explaining

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yup , I was just wondering what my opinions were , thanks for explaining
Sharpen them and please for everything that is holy in skating: ALWAYS carry a towel and when you come off the ice, thoroughly wipe your blades and the soles of your boots and put your soakers on.

Good luck!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Sharpen them and please for everything that is holy in skating: ALWAYS carry a towel and when you come off the ice, thoroughly wipe your blades and the soles of your boots and put your soakers on.

Good luck!
Or as my first coach made little pupils repeat (my grandmother's cousin who also taught one of my cousins, both of us 5 years old): "Take care of your skates and your skates will take care of you." :clap:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Yup, hard guards are for walking. Soft guards get me to and from the rink in my bag, and when my skates get home, they like to lie naked on a towel for a few hours. Or days. Depends on how often I skate and how lazy I am. :laugh:

SK4T3

Rinkside
Yup, hard guards are for walking. Soft guards get me to and from the rink in my bag, and when my skates get home, they like to lie naked on a towel for a few hours. Or days. Depends on how often I skate and how lazy I am. :laugh:

And place them vertical (same position as when you're on the ice) in case of floor-heating; else it can ruïn your boots shape.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
And place them vertical (same position as when you're on the ice) in case of floor-heating; else it can ruïn your boots shape.
Oh yeah, good point! I always place mine on their blades and the heating thing didn't occur to me.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
When I got my first pair of ”real skates” (non-velcro) my mom was like “we‘re not buying 2 types of guards” and so we only got hard guards. Pretty soon, my coach was like “you need soakers,” so we got them

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
When I got my first pair of ”real skates” (non-velcro) my mom was like “we‘re not buying 2 types of guards” and so we only got hard guards. Pretty soon, my coach was like “you need soakers,” so we got them
Before soakers were invented (yes, kiddies, gather around Granny's knee and she'll tell you all sorts of stories about the pioneer days of skating), we used to cut the sleeves off an old fleece sweatshirt and slit one side about 6-7" down from the cut-off shoulder end. After drying our blades, we'd slip each skate into a sleeve like putting a sock over the whole boot-and-blade down to the sleeve cuffs, which we'd fold around sideways to protect the picks. Then the skates in their fleece-lined socks would go into our skate bags standing up and travel home that way. 👩‍🦰👩‍🦳

Elija

On the Ice
Before soakers were invented (yes, kiddies, gather around Granny's knee and she'll tell you all sorts of stories about the pioneer days of skating), we used to cut the sleeves off an old fleece sweatshirt and slit one side about 6-7" down from the cut-off shoulder end. After drying our blades, we'd slip each skate into a sleeve like putting a sock over the whole boot-and-blade down to the sleeve cuffs, which we'd fold around sideways to protect the picks. Then the skates in their fleece-lined socks would go into our skate bags standing up and travel home that way. 👩‍🦰👩‍🦳
My mum made my first pair of soakers out of old bath towels! They worked fine and looked like normal soakers. There are definitely solutions without spending $50 on soakers (not that anyone here is saying they don’t use soakers lol, but just an fyi for anyone whose parents are worried about spending the money).

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, way back in the days before there were such things as fleece sweatshirts and bath towels, the menfolk figure skaters would hunt buffalo (or other local game) with spears. After the menfolk skinned their kill, the womenfolk figure skaters would place strips of hide on a large rock by the riverbank. Squatting in the mud, they would then pickup small rocks and pound the strips to soften them. Then. using needles fashioned from fishbones and thread fashioned from buffalo sinew, they would stitch U-channel soakers from the soft hide strips.

Yes, prices for just about anything figure-skating related have skyrocketed since the pandemic. But in the US you can still get decent soakers for US$15 or so (I haven't checked UK prices).

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I used to have that happen if I forgot a towel etc. make sure you always wipe your blades after skating and put cloth protectors on after. It prevents moisture from getting at the blade after you wipe the, or put them in your bag and go from cold to warm places like rink to home or something. To answer you though.. yes please sharpen them if they’re like this. It’s worse if you dont. Sharpening them will remove the spots.