Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fame is going to her head. Too many distractions before the Olympics.....she is counting her chickens before they hatches.

Apparently, so are some of her fans. But I'm guessing her ubers will encourage and support her extra-curricular talk show interviews in lieu of training (but, of course, attribute Ashley's interviews regarding LGBT laws as distractions).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone think that Frank Carroll will allow this girl to slack off her training now? Gracie has made great strides in the last few months and he won't allow her to get complacent.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would make more sense for her to do the tv circuit after a Sochi medal but like so many posts here point out, it isn't very likely to happen. Sorry but its true. There is no need for her fans to give up though. No one knows, astronomers aside, how the stars will align and who can bring it on the big stage. She is certainly the most capable American to medal. We shall see.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It would make more sense for her to do the tv circuit after a Sochi medal but like so many posts here point out, it isn't very likely to happen. Sorry but its true. There is no need for her fans to give up though. No one knows, astronomers aside, how the stars will align and who can bring it on the big stage. She is certainly the most capable American to medal. We shall see.

I think that is why she is doing it now. Best to capatilize on fame and make some money now as the odds of an Olympic medal this go around, even with her improved skating and finally delivering under pressure at Nationals giving more hope to skate to her actual potential (something she has struggled to in the past) at Sochi, are not that high. So best to capatilize on her current post Nationals fame which will probably die off some after the Games.

millie

Medalist
Skaters should be taking advantage of this time to train not using up their energy and time traveling to these media events. This should be the last thing on their minds so close to performing at the Olympics unless their sports psychologists have them built up so much that they think the are invincible. When they come back down to earth, it will be to late. It's only a few weeks away. It's about the money, money money.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Puh-lease, I agree with Jammers - there is NO WAY Frank is going to let her slack off now. :) I am sure Monday was an off day after Nationals and this is a "lighter" week to recover from the pressure and peaking that was Nationals last week. I suspect she will duck back down after Leno into bunker training mode. I believe Lysacek did some circuits right after Nationals as well and he seemed in good form in Vancouver.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that her Olympic performance will not be compromised. I've got a secret rink that's perfect for secret bunker sessions. Hit me up Frank.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It is good for Gracie to get a bit more exposure if she is to replace Wagner as the 'New' US cover girl of this sport. She looks good. Love the maximum exposure of hairography, the modernized packaging works well, Frank knows what he is doing, case point how he pretty much calmed her down before her FS and simply goes 'Go do your job'. Suave! (Big sighs for Mirai...)

I am intrigued by the scenarios if Winter Olympics 2014 is to take place in USA and not Russia, what do you think are her real chances compares to the Russians youngsters?

Icey

Record Breaker
I hope some of you are correct, but I think it much too early to give Frank miracle worker status.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am only saying he won't let her slack off now that goal #1 is achieved, on to goal #2. Typically, coaches give you a "rest day" after a big competition (which was Monday - the Today show...).

I noticed that while FrankC looked VERY pleased with scores and placement, I also noticed there seemed to be some math going on in his mind trying to figure out how much work needed to be done to be a contender (it looked like he was trying to figure out how much of the score was Nationals inflation and what areas still needed touching on).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie's best days are ahead of her so i don't see her medaling in Sochi especially since the judges will be kissing as much Russian butt as possible if Russian skaters skate clean. But in a neutral site Gracie can beat any of the Russian girls.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Skate Canada with a lead after the SP? Not neutral? Isn't her best Grand Prix finish 2nd place....in RUSSIA? True Gracie is better now than earlier this season even but so too are both Russians. A clean Adelina will beat a clean Gracie. Sorry but Adelina has better jumps and that's kinda Gracie's strength. Julia on the other hand... might be beatable if they both went clean and Ill even agree to it going down in Chicago and still end up betting on the consistency of Julia.

EDIT:I wouldn't completely count her out of a medal though. She could do it but most likely at least one Russian would be ahead of her in second or gold.

Nater

Match Penalty
I really like Julia's step sequence and she always scores well on them....even outside of Russia and especially in the free skate. Gracie has the jumps IF executed but Julia has amazing consistency. True, lower scores per jump but way more consistent. Lipnitskaia and Gracie to me is a good battle. Sorry though I'll always tip to Julia do to her IMHO superior steps and spins. Gracie would have to go pretty clean in BOTH programs to win I think. We will see in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited about Sochi!!!!!!!

It's easier to be more Consistent when your jump is 5 inches and the other Skaters jump is 10 inches, with better (harder) technique. This is why edge changes and the axes are penalized, and it's why Julia's 3-3 barely outscored Sotnikova's 3T-3T...a clean Gold program can outscore Julia's by multiple points in TES just by virtue of the better jumps. Julia needs to improve her jump GOE or she may live to regret it.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Yes, Gold could win if she keeps polishing her programs and skates clean. She looks really good with both programs at us nationals.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Gracie's best days are ahead of her so i don't see her medaling in Sochi especially since the judges will be kissing as much Russian butt as possible if Russian skaters skate clean. But in a neutral site Gracie can beat any of the Russian girls.

Agree to disagree. Julia is better.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie has it all and can be the very best; she also has the potential to fall out of the top 8. She is a gifted jumper with natural grace and flare. She looks more powerful than the Russians.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Gracie has it all and can be the very best; she also has the potential to fall out of the top 8. She is a gifted jumper with natural grace and flare. She looks more powerful than the Russians.

We will have to wait and see how the international judges weigh Gracie against the Russians, but I am more optimistic about her chance for the podium, because as evident in Euro concluded recently , they tend to less penalize the deficiency in jump, therefore as long as Gracie manages up on her feet, her speed and power might be plus and appealing.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

More powerful than Sotnikova too?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
More powerful than Sotnikova too?

Well, that's a tough question isn't it? since both skate as proficiently as any skater should, and both have as much glaring flaws as merits, it is hard to tell, but absolute delight to watch both skating. How I love Adelina's double axel-triple toe she showed in Euro. Because both are solid in basic, they can build up many things on it. As of now, Gracie is overall ahead of Adelina especially in flow and speed and continuity though she looks still steep. well, she is yet a fledgling. More practice needs. Adelina is ahead of Gracie in power and edge and spirit on ice, but she needs to polish and find the ideal balance; that's her homework assignment.