Can you advise a fitter in France ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can you advise a fitter in France ?

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Thank you @WednesdayMarch , @tstop4me and @Elenea for your input on insoles. I'm taking note of all you said and will make sure to get insoles with Everglides!

I feel ready for my appointment, thank you everyone for so patiently answering my questions and sharing your expertise!

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Hi guys, very bad news : due to the strike movement in France, my ferry tonight is canceled so I can't make it to Everglides tomorrow 😭😭
Hopefully I can reschedule for next Monday, but it's unsure.
The "good" news is it leaves me time to order the CA blades in France and bring them to Everglides 🙃

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh, that's really bad news about the strike!

I wouldn't order the blades until you have the boots, as you may well go down in size from the projected 250, plus the soles of each pair can vary in size, too.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Oh, that's really bad news about the strike!

I wouldn't order the blades until you have the boots, as you may well go down in size from the projected 250, plus the soles of each pair can vary in size, too.
I was planning on buying the CA blades in 9 and 9 1/4 as the brands sizing charts say they fit RF3 Pro & Royal pro boots in size 245 and 250 + the Jackson Debut in 244 (but not the bigger sizes 248 or 252 according to their international sizing chart, so this scenario would be a Legacy 7 if that's the only blade Everglides has).

I can send the size of blades I won't use back to get a refund from the shop, or both set if none get used, so it seemed to me a safe option.
Do you think differently?

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I was planning on buying the CA blades in 9 and 9 1/4 as the brands sizing charts say they fit RF3 Pro & Royal pro boots in size 245 and 250 + the Jackson Debut in 244 (but not the bigger sizes 248 or 252 according to their international sizing chart, so this scenario would be a Legacy 7 if that's the only blade Everglides has).

I can send the size of blades I won't use back to get a refund from the shop, or both set if none get used, so it seemed to me a safe option.
If you can send them back for a full refund, then I think it's an excellent option! Incidentally, I have 9 1/4" blades on my 6.5/248 Jackson boots with no problem so make sure to try the blades on the sole of the boot you pick - and remember that the Debut has a cosmetic flare on the heel, so the blade doesn't need to be tip to tip on those - before dismissing anything. Good luck! :cool:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I assume you'll need to pay return postage? With the shortage of Wilson CA blades, see if Everglides would be interested in the extra pair. Maybe they'll take it as an offset to your boot purchase. But be prepared with what it would cost you to return them, and euro to pounds conversion, and all that, to see what they offer is worthwhile.

Just out of curiosity, post-Brexit, when you travel between France and UK, do you need to clear customs each time?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I assume you'll need to pay return postage? With the shortage of Wilson CA blades, see if Everglides would be interested in the extra pair. Maybe they'll take it as an offset to your boot purchase. But be prepared with what it would cost you to return them, and euro to pounds conversion, and all that, to see what they offer is worthwhile.

Just out of curiosity, post-Brexit, when you travel between France and UK, do you need to clear customs each time?
I wouldn't think Everglides would buy blades from a private individual because of laws about imports. They may, however, be able/willing to refer you to a skater who wants to buy them from you directly.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
It will be my first time traveling post-Brexit but I think yes, that will happen. The other reason I'm interested in buying the blades in France is that it allows me to stay below the tax-free limit of buys in England : were I to buy both boots + blades at Everglides, I would need to pay between 2-3% of taxes to bring back the products in France. B oots only and I'm still below the limit.

I wouldn't think Everglides would buy blades from a private individual because of laws about imports. They may, however, be able/willing to refer you to a skater who wants to buy them from you directly.
I doubt it too since I wouldn't be able to provide an invoice for their books and all. Since I can get a refund for the blades, it's not a high priority for me anyway.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Hi everyone, it's update time!
I finally made it to Everglides yesterday, for my much awaited appointment.

I was absolutely amazed by Lara's knowledge and patience, she offered I think around 10 different boots to try and never once pressured me to make a choice quickly.
My 2hours appointment turned out to be 3h30 ! Thanks to the person who canceled after me, I really got all the time needed 😅

It turns out my feet are a bit longer than I measured, so the correct boot size for me is 250 / 6,5.
The luminous footprint thingy showed I have crazy high arches (almost no side of the middle of my feet in contact) so custom insoles were much needed indeed.
After trying on many boots, I went with the Jackson Premiere. Lara heat molded them twice (once for my ankles, a second one for the custom insoles) and punched out the ankle bones + my protuding navicular bone on both feet, as well as the small toe space on my right foot.
She then did a temp mount with the 9 1/2 CA blades I had brought (thank you universe for the last minute doubts and subsequent order!).

Being all set at the shop, boots were perfectly snug and comfortable, I went to the local rink to try them out. The rink is honestly not in a great shape, and they had not done the ice between public sessions. I was hence skating on snow with loud music, so there was no way to check my blade marks and sounds, as recommended by @tstop4me (I think)?
Left one foot glide was fine, right foot one on the other hand was a mess, I was falling on my inside and had super intense pain in my arch 10 minutes in. This confirmed Lara's suspicion that my high arches make me over pronate on the ice (which I did not when she checked at the shop).
So, as planed, I went to the ice rink shop they also own, where her employee was waiting for me to do the blade adjustments in between bouts of skating (you literally walk off the ice into the shop).
After moving my right blade a bit, which helped a lot but not completely, Clare heat molded the boot + insole again and that did the trick! In the end, she did the permanent mounting, though she left 4 screws off on each skate in case I need to switch blades later and avoid too many holes. I was not crazy about it but she assured me it was perfectly fine, so I decided to trust her because what do I know?

Now I'm back home, lacking sleep from 2 uncomfortable nights on the ferry and sore from all the walking around, but excited about my new skates!
I really feel great in them, even if they really look ugly haha (hello skate tape) and maybe the quality is a bit average as I already scratched the gray paint on my right heel (tip from Clare : use acrylic paint - the kind used for model scales- to fix that)

I won't be able to follow the breaking-in steps @tstop4me recommended, since I already skated yesterday (though nothing crazy considering the crowd).
I did the 100 knee bending series on the ice though^^
But the boots don't really feel unmanageable, I guess from the multiple heat molding? I'll see.
Now I really need to learn to lace my skates tighter though, it's not yet perfect !

Quick note for a French person coming to this thread for advice :
- Everglides really know their stuff, do not hesitate to visit them!
- check out the Brittany Ferries for a cheap price (24h round trip offer), Everglides shop is a bus ride away from the port (though it takes 1h30 because they're across the bay)
- make sure you go skating afterwards. If I had left England after my morning appointment, I would be in France with unusable skates...
- figure skates go through security and customs without any problems, though me traveling with 3 sets of blades, new skates and old ones in 2 bags raised a few questions haha!
>> Si vous avez des questions, n'hésitez pas !

Blades & boots shortage :
- Lara suspects John Wilson and MK prioritize European and American markets as they sell the blades higher, and UK gets what's left. No idea how true that is, but if I'm considering what I see in France, it is really plausible. She was in a bit of disbelief when I told her how easy it was for me to order all the blades I brought.
- Risport and Edea are in a serious shortage, without much explanation from the manufacturers. She had only 1 Edea for me to try, it was extremely wrong for my feet as expected, and only 2 Risport with one not my size (255). I tried them for the feel and this brand definitely fits me, but this time there was no stock for my exact needs. I'm okay with that, as I'm happy with my choice.
- apparently many customers don't take the shortage very well, being angry and agressive towards the shop. I felt the situation was really painful for her, I hope people will be more understanding and things will get better soon!

I hope I covered everything, feel free to ask anything!
Again, a very big thank you to everyone on this forum, you taught me so much! I am extremely grateful for your patience and teachings, 2 month ago I would have gone all wrong about this.
You guys are amazing!!
Special mention to @tstop4me and @WednesdayMarch i bothered in DM for additional questions 🤪

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I was absolutely amazed by Lara's knowledge and patience, she offered I think around 10 different boots to try and never once pressured me to make a choice quickly.
My 2hours appointment turned out to be 3h30 ! Thanks to the person who canceled after me, I really got all the time needed 😅

It turns out my feet are a bit longer than I measured, so the correct boot size for me is 250.
The luminous footprint thingy showed I have crazy high arches (almost no side of my feet in contact) so custom insoles were much needed indeed.
After trying on many boots, I went with the Jackson Premiere. Lara heat molded them twice (once for my ankles, a second one for the custom insoles) and punched out the ankle bones + my protuding navicular bone on both feet, as well as the small toe space on my right foot.
She then did a temp mount with the 9 1/2 CA blades I had brought (thank you universe for the last minute doubts and subsequent order!).

Being all set at the shop, boots were perfectly snug and comfortable, I went to the local rink to try them out. The rink is honestly in not a great shape, and they had not done the ice between public sessions. I was hence skating on snow with loud music, so there was no way to check my blade marks and sounds, as recommended by @tstop4me (I think)?
Left one foot glide was fine, right foot one on the other hand was a mess, I was falling on my inside and had super intense pain in my arch 10 minutes in. This confirmed Lara's suspicion that my high arches make me over pronate on the ice (which I did not when she checked at the shop).
So, as planed, I went to the ice rink shop they also own, where her employee was waiting for me to do the blade adjustments in between bouts of skating (you literally walk off the ice into the shop).
After moving my right blade a bit, which helped a lot but not completely, Clare heat molded the boot + insole again and that did the trick! In the end, she did the permanent mounting, though she left 4 screws off on each skate in case I need to switch blades later and avoid too many holes. I was not crazy about it but she assured me it was perfectly fine, so I decided to trust her because what do I know?

Now I'm back home, lacking sleep from 2 uncomfortable nights on the ferry and sore from all the walking around, but excited about my new skates!
I really feel great in them, even if they really look ugly haha (hello skate tape) and maybe the quality is a bit average as I already scratched the gray paint on my right heel (tip from Clare : use acrylic paint - the kind used for model scales- to fix that)

I won't be able to follow the breaking-in steps @tstop4me recommended, since I already skated yesterday (though nothing crazy considering the crowd).
But the boots don't really feel unmanageable, I guess from the multiple heat molding? I'll see.
Now I really need to learn to lace my skates tighter though, it's not yet perfect !

- check out the Brittany Ferries for a cheap price (24h round trip offer), Everglides shop is a bus ride away from the port (though it takes 1h30 because they're across the bay)
- make sure you go skating afterwards. If I had left England after my morning appointment, I would be in France with unusable skates...
- figure skates go through security and customs without any problems, though me traveling with 3 sets of blades, new skates and old ones in 2 bags raised a few questions haha!

- Lara suspects John Wilson and MK prioritize European and American markets as they sell the blades higher, and UK gets what's left. No idea how true that is, but if I'm considering what I see in France, it is really plausible. She was in a bit of disbelief when I told her how easy it was for me to order all the blades I brought.
- Risport and Edea are in a serious shortage, without much explanation from the manufacturers. She had only 1 Edea for me to try, it was extremely wrong for my feet as expected, and only 2 Risport with one not my size (255). I tried them for the feel and this brand definitely fits me, but this time there was no stock for my exact needs. I'm okay with that, as I'm happy with my choice.
- apparently many customers don't take the shortage very well, being angry and agressive towards the shop. I felt the situation was really painful for her, I hope people will be more understanding and things will get better soon!

Again, a very big thank you to everyone on this forum, you taught me so much! I am extremely grateful for your patience and teachings, 2 month ago I would have gone all wrong about this.
You guys are amazing!!
Special mention to @tstop4me and @WednesdayMarch i bothered in DM for additional questions 🤪
Oh, this is a wonderful update! I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you at the Gosport rink (which isn't the best one in the UK by a long shot, but I'm very fond of it as I used to teach there in the 1990s) but I knew Everglides would fit you properly. Lara and Clare really do know their stuff. And yes, they get an enormous amount of rudeness and aggression when they can't magically produce the exact thing that people want or need owing to the current supply problems. (Also, can you imagine the kind of storage they'd need to keep every single brand, boot model/colour, blade and size in stock?!)

Happy skating. I'm glad I could help.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Oh, this is a wonderful update! I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you at the Gosport rink (which isn't the best one in the UK by a long shot, but I'm very fond of it as I used to teach there in the 1990s) but I knew Everglides would fit you properly. Lara and Clare really do know their stuff. And yes, they get an enormous amount of rudeness and aggression when they can't magically produce the exact thing that people want or need owing to the current supply problems. (Also, can you imagine the kind of storage they'd need to keep every single brand, boot model/colour, blade and size in stock?!)

Happy skating. I'm glad I could help.
Don't worry about not meeting me, I hope it means all is well with your family!
I tried to convince Lara to open a branch in France but I don't think I succeeded 😂

Friday

Rinkside

It turns out my feet are a bit longer than I measured, so the correct boot size for me is 250.
The luminous footprint thingy showed I have crazy high arches (almost no side of my feet in contact) so custom insoles were much needed indeed.

Being all set at the shop, boots were perfectly snug and comfortable, I went to the local rink to try them out. The rink is honestly in not a great shape, and they had not done the ice between public sessions. I was hence skating on snow with loud music, so there was no way to check my blade marks and sounds, as recommended by @tstop4me (I think)?

You guys are amazing!!
I'm so happy for you, wish you all the best with your new skates!!!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Mauve. I'm so glad you finally made it there, and that everything worked out well. Maybe there's a future in international blade smuggling.:biggrin:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Lara suspects John Wilson and MK prioritize European and American markets as they sell the blades higher, and UK gets what's left.
I don't know about the American market in general. I'm in New Jersey. But several skaters I've spoken to recently told me their shops (New Jersey and neighboring Delaware) can't get hold of Wilson and MK blades. So, along with the problems at Eclipse, that leaves just Ultima and Paramount. Maybe your lucky stars just lined up just right. But whatever the reason, I'm glad you got what you needed.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Maybe your lucky stars just lined up just right. But whatever the reason, I'm glad you got what you needed.
My lucky stars were definitely in the game!
Had I made it to my first appointment, I would have gone with no blades (because I expected the CA to be available at the shop) + no skating time (since the rink was closed that afternoon). It would have been a much bleaker outcome than now...