Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Indeed, I'm gonna argue that the overreliance on her will be detrimental in the long run (see Plushenko and the Russian men).

OT but I complained Doblin before, because he skated like a mini-Evgeni. I complained again to see Artur to skate like a mini-Evgeni.

But the truth was I did not REALLY know how many more of mini-Evgenis are actually on standby nationally (without showing up on Grand Prix circuit just yet) until I saw the Russian Nats on TV (J-Sports, first time they broadcasted Russian Nats, I think) this past season. There were as if 6 Evgenis in the final group with slightly different in heights/weights and jump contents and I was like :jaw: !

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Thoughts on the new minimum standards.

It is a good thing that this year Canada is forced to put new faces on the JGP as Charbonneau and Najarro have aged out. One huge problem is that Canada kept on sending perennial failures internationally ( Kathryn Kang, Vanessa Grenier , Najarro ) to the JGP even after multiple failures over several years.

I am kind of happy that SC would be forced to send all new faces for if SC were able to give perennial failures JGP slots this year there would be a possibility that no one could go to Junior Worlds.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I'm hoping these minimal scores will encourage at least a few of the women to step it up already. Perhaps that's wishful thinking, but there does seem to be talent there, and one can always hope...

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Does anyone know if Alexandra Najarro, Adriana Desanctis and Cynthia Phaneuf will be part of a Summer competition or a Senior B competition soon ?

mariposa

Rinkside
Hopefully Cynthia will have a swift recovery and have her "A" game ready for nationals..So what's going to happen with the Skate Canada TBA spot? Will there be a showdown betwenn Najarro and DeSanctis? And the story continues.......

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Samson may be considered before DeSanctis or Najarro. Charbonneau also could be a candidate.

Here's where they stand on the SB list (Samson isn't on it since she didn't compete last season):

64 DeSanctis
66 Charbonneau
88 Najarro

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Hopefully Cynthia will have a swift recovery and have her "A" game ready for nationals..So what's going to happen with the Skate Canada TBA spot? Will there be a showdown betwenn Najarro and DeSanctis? And the story continues.......

Back injuries are notoriously slow in recovery, and Cynthia has never bounced back quickly from injury. If she does make it to Canadians, I doubt she will be competitive.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Alexe Gilles moving north? I would think since sister Piper will be getting Canadian citizenship, she could too. But she'd have to get her mojo back. Certainly from the looks of the field, her chances would be better for intl competition in Canada than USA.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Cynthia will retire? This would be sad because I think she right now may be Canada's best chance if she gets back her mojo but the injury may end it.

Going back to the post and I heard some sad words - maybe they should practice the phrase "Would you like fries with your order or would you like to supersize that"? I know how mean. Right now none of the girls in Canada have show GREAT jump abilities. There is no phenom flexy spinner. No great artist. And it looks worse and worse that Joannie will ever return. i am sure they are all trying but sometimes in life there is a lull and one maybe occurring in Canada. Remember after Manley Cnaada had a huge lull although i will suggest the lull wasn't that bad because in between Liz they had chouinard who had a wonderful personality and was often top 5 at worlds (relatively speaking). But Jennifer Robinson was never really a true champion. I mean she won nationals all the time but she just didn't have the oomph, pizaaz to even be considered much interest by the world. In fact in the end the judges seemed to just shoot her for showing up. Even when she did 7 triples her marks plummetted (ok there were speed and two foot issues).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't Canada usually only have one quality world class lady every decade or so? That means it will probably be another 7,8 years until another good Canadian lady comes around.

hohoho

On the Ice
Looking through the various lists for summer competitions, I notice that some skaters are doing 2-3 competitions. Exceptions are Phanef (back injury) and Lacoste (only doing long at Quebec). Does that mean that the first time Lacoste does her short program is at Skate Canada? Samson is doing multiple comps and looks like she wants to get back. Osmond is doing back to back in Detroit and Wildrose. That is one big issue for our ladies if they are not prepared for major competitions. Why wouldn't Lacoste do short/long in Quebec? Programs should be ready by now

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Why wouldn't Lacoste do short/long in Quebec? Programs should be ready by now

The short program may be choreographed but not ready for competition since she doesn't skate her first international for a while yet. Sometimes after is it choreographed, the program doesn't work for the skater and needs to be tweaked or changed. The skater may be focussing on getting her long program honed and presenting it to the judges for feedback. There are a lot of reasons why the skater would elect to do only one phase of the competition. Summer comps are used to get ready for the season in whatever manner the skater deems appropriate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not a good thing for Lacoste to display insecurity (not doing both programs) because that is her biggest problem in competition. She never seems confident and self-assured when she competes internationally.

Right now, there is a vacuum at the top in Canadian ladies. By doing multiple competitions, Samson and Osmond are demonstrating that they are ready to take that top spot. Lacoste does herself no favors by her reluctance to show she is competitive with the others.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
It's not a good thing for Lacoste to display insecurity (not doing both programs) because that is her biggest problem in competition. She never seems confident and self-assured when she competes internationally.

Right now, there is a vacuum at the top in Canadian ladies. By doing multiple competitions, Samson and Osmond are demonstrating that they are ready to take that top spot. Lacoste does herself no favors by her reluctance to show she is competitive with the others.

I totally agree with you. I think Amelie Lacoste did not show that she have any confidence with herself. And, I think this is why she does only one program this summer. It looks like she just competed one program this summer for not making disaster and
not lose her reputation as a Canadian Champion. But, in my opinion, this strategy don't demonstrate what a champion is. I'm rooting more about the others canadians who does their 2 programs this summer because it prove that they really want to gain the top spot and show that they can control their nerve under pressure :)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Amelie went to Worlds in March, and spent the spring months skating every carnival and gala available to her as Canadian Champion in order to pay for her skating. Skaters at her level don't have lucrative Stars on Ice tours to finance their exenses. She took the month of June off when the rinks shut down for maintenance and upgrades, and started working on her new programs for at the beginning of July.

Very few elite skaters in any discipline do both a long and a short program at Canadians competitions. That's the way it's always been. Look at the records from previous years. That includes Virtue and Moir, when they were doing summer comps. V&M are a team who have NEVER lacked confidence.

Stop looking for conspiracies in every little thing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samson and Osmond have even less opportunity to earn money by skating.

And if few elite ladies do both SP and FS at Canadian competitions, maybe that is one of the reasons why so few Canadian ladies make it to the top internationally.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And if few elite ladies do both SP and FS at Canadian competitions, maybe that is one of the reasons why so few Canadian ladies make it to the top internationally.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Getting competition experience helps; but you can only do so much if you don't have the talent. Osmond, Lacoste, Samson even Phaneuf all have limited abilities and not a lot of personality on the ice. None other than maybe the injured Phaneuf have shown much artistry and certainly none are known for their personality (on or off the ice). I hope for the best but it doesn't look good for Canada.

Dragonlady

Final Flight

It's a summer comp chuckie. You seemed to think it was pretty meaningless when Chan was winning summer comps. Everyone does both events in regular comps. Doing just one program at Thornhill in 2009 didn't stop Virtue & Moir from winning Olympic Gold, Jeff Buttle from winning a World Championship, or Takahashi & Tran from winnning a bronze medal at Worlds.

Canadian women aren't getting enough competition from their earliest years because there are few events with finals. This particular generation of Canadian women are hamstrung because in addition to no finals at home, there have been no NAC's for years, and if they didn't place top 5 in their first JGP, they didn't get a second assignment.