Cha vs. Gumennik vs. Shimada: Junior debut season of future stars | Golden Skate

Cha vs. Gumennik vs. Shimada: Junior debut season of future stars

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Maybe some people knew those three already, but I just wanted to cover them before 16 junior worlds.:)

I've been watching those three this season, and I think it can be interesting to compare their different aspects of strengths and weaknesses.
It would be great if you add some facts and opinion about them, on this thread.:cheer:

1. Jun hwan Cha (Republic of Korea)
Birth date: 21.10.2001
He doesn't have his ISU bio yet, because he was in injury at the beginning of this season and showed bad skating at South Korean JGP qualifying events and finally couldn't participate JGP this year, unfortunately.
Now he's training at Toronto, Canada, and seems like coached by Brian Orser. (Don't know exactly, yet)
He seems like having recovery time, and looks fine at Autumn Classic International.
He has extra-good arm and head movements (it seems like he's doing ballet when he is on ice), but not that good at some jumping technics.
But now he's trying 3A, and he finally made its rotation at ACI.
Here's his recent performance at ACI. SP FS / Score: 65.48+132.96=198.44

2. Petr Gumennik (Russia)
Birth date: 11.04.2002
He participated two JGP events this season, Riga cup and Corpernicus stars.
He did such a good job at those two events and get really good results, which is 6th and 4th place each.
What a great results if we consider he's only 13. (And he has a lot of time to become 14!)
He seems like having real talent at jumping technics, and skating skills, but not that much expressions in his programs.
He also now working on 3A.
Here's his recent performance at Nice Cup 2015. SP FS / Score: 67.97+132.75=200.72

3. Koshiro Shimada (Japan)
Birth date: 11.09.2001
I don't know him much about, but he skates really well at JGP Croatia Cup.
He also participated Bratislava event, but he made his personal best at Croatia. (7th at Bratislava, 5th at Croatia)
He have really good skating skills and performances. He looks delicate and has remarkable expressiveness for his age.
But not that high jumping components he has in his programs, just for now.
I heard that he also working on 3A. (Is it right?)
Here's his recent performance at JGP Croatia Cup. SP FS / Score: 58.38+122.69=181.07
Hope he shows up more competitions before Jr.world. (Could we expect him to participate Jr. World!? Hope so..)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
3 brilliant young talent! i love all of them , i cant choose who is my favourite, i saw Jun Hwan 1st so i might pick him, you will never forget your 1st love haha! but Koshiro is the best thing that happened this JGP (if KSU sent CJH it would be tie between CJH and Koshiro), about Petr, he has amazing carriage and jumps, and those spins (i love his freaky donut spin!) :love: but sometimes his performance leaves me cold, its not heartfelt like Koshiro or CJH, of course just my opinion

i would love to see all 3 at Junior Worlds, CJH seems like a safe bet (but we all thought it was safe for JGP too so you never know >.< ) and Petr has very good chance, i am most worried about Koshiro's chances :hopelessness:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hope gumennik Also moves to Canada or US so his potential with programs that are North American Proper can be really fulfilled.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
^ lmao dont go there Petr! & he won't thankfully:dance:

Love all 3:cheer: nice thread
I hope all 3 will get to JW!

Rissa

Record Breaker
He seems like having real talent at jumping technics, and skating skills, but not that much expressions in his programs.

I saw Petr Gumennink live at Copernicus Stars and I thought he was one of the most engaging performers there. His expression was better, in my opinion, than the winner Sota Yamamoto's.

I hope gumennik Also moves to Canada or US so his potential with programs that are North American Proper can be really fulfilled.

:laugh2:

Last edited:

malo42

On the Ice
I like Koshiro a lot but his scores are pretty low, to be competitive he'll need to get the 3A.

gmyers

Record Breaker
^ lmao dont go there Petr! & he won't thankfully:dance:

Love all 3:cheer: nice thread
I hope all 3 will get to JW!

I feel he must! I disagree with the OP and think gumennik has a great on ice performance quality but just like Russian fed basically banned kovtun from being artistic to focus on jumps same things happen to gumennik if he stays!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I hope Gumennik won't go to North-America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drama: Look at Javi!! He skates in totally North-Am style! I would like to see skaters who skate in many different style!

And Petr "not that much expressions in his programs"??? OMG! He is just 13 but he can sell his programs!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I feel he must! I disagree with the OP and think gumennik has a great on ice performance quality but just like Russian fed basically banned kovtun from being artistic to focus on jumps same things happen to gumennik if he stays!

Kovtun has never been a great performer. His power are his ugly jumps. Sorry, but I don't like to see his jumps. but he can land in them succesfully many times.

Last edited:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
I hope Gumennik won't go to North-America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drama: Look at Javi!! He skates in totally North-Am style! I would like to see skaters who skate in many different style!

And Petr "not that much expressions in his programs"??? OMG! He is just 13 but he can sell his programs!

Of course he is just 13! :laugh: I just meant that he has little lack of expressions "compare to Cha and Shimada". (OK, I knew it's just my opinion, though)
But I also believe that he can develop himself at that point, because he's only 13. He has a lot of time to improve.

And, I expect him to develop his expressions more unconventionally (not like others), cuz I also like to see skaters with many different style.:cool:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Of course he is just 13! :laugh: I just meant that he has little lack of expressions "compare to Cha and Shimada". (OK, I knew it's just my opinion, though)
But I also believe that he can develop himself at that point, because he's only 13. He has a lot of time to improve.

And, I expect him to develop his expressions more unconventionally (not like others), cuz I also like to see skaters with many different style.:cool:

I don't see what Cha has over Petr in terms of expression, but I've only watched him a couple times. Maybe if he had better programs I'd be more engaged.

I don't think Petr is lacking in expressiveness at all.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't see what Cha has over Petr in terms of expression, but I've only watched him a couple times. Maybe if he had better programs I'd be more engaged.

I don't think Petr is lacking in expressiveness at all.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
All I can say is that I was totally charmed by Koshiro at his GP. Looking forward to seeing him develop. Petr is also very talented- his spins were really great from memory. I haven't seen Cha yet I don't believe. Some amazing young talent!