Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canton is in the outskirts of Detroit, and Kaitlyn and Andrew are not training into Detroit proper, but in another city nearby, close to Canton. And Shpilband is close too, but again not in the big city.

Ah, sorry, you're right. It's technically in the suburb of Bloomfield Hills, but because the club still goes by "The Detroit Skating. club", it's confusing for us not from Michigan. ;)

ETA: just saw your second post above, which is basically saying the same thing I said; originally I only read your first post.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Detroit Skating Club is actually in Bloomfield Hills MI and about 30 miles northwest of Detroit. If you look at a map of Michigan, Bloomfield Hills is just a little south of the city of Pontiac. About 15 miles or so southwest of Bloomfield Hills is Novi which is where Igor S. is located. Almost directly south of Novi about 20 miles is Arctic Edge Club in Canton where the Shibs train with Marina Z.

Even though Michigan loves its interstate routes it still takes 45 to 60 minutes to go from Detroit Skating Club to Arctic Edge.

Off hand I can't think of any elite level single skaters presently at the Detroit Skating Club. I can understand why Patrick would not be happy training without other elite skaters.

I've been to Bloomfield Hills and unless things have changed (Which I'm sure they have since the early 90's) Bloomfield Hills is a very nice area. The houses were huge and I remember saying, it's like they dropped Beverly Hills into Alaska. It was soooo freakin cold!!! However, nothing will ever be as cold as Buffalo New York in the winter. The coldest I've ever been.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Everyone flee America while you can or start practicing your wall climbing.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Everyone flee America while you can or start practicing your wall climbing.

Hey, Patrick's moving back to Canada and I'd have Zero problems living in Canada. Maybe I'll crash into Jennifer Robinson......:love: Or Cute little Keegan Messing.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I could tell you where to look for eman ;)
Hey, Patrick's moving back to Canada and I'd have Zero problems living in Canada. Maybe I'll crash into Jennifer Robinson......:love: Or Cute little Keegan Messing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol nope.. i remember his SYTYCD Canada triple axels on ground
WHAAAAAAAAAAT! Where........I'd love to meet that Canadian Back Street Boy. Do you remember when he went through that Karaoke Phase?? :drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah but that's di manno's words... nothing to do with chan...
Thanks for sharing this article. It's very informative. However, I found the line "The more immediate future is catching up with Hanyu, Fernandez and the younger crop of dynamos — jump freaks — coming out of China, in particular" somewhat offensive.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing this article. It's very informative. However, I found the line "The more immediate future is catching up with Hanyu, Fernandez and the younger crop of dynamos — jump freaks — coming out of China, in particular" somewhat offensive.

I'm also a fan of Boyang, but don't find that sentence offensive. His massive jumping abilities and his devotion to quads are the reason why so many people are intrigued to him even before he went to senior circuits.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The poster didn't say it was? No need to fly to the defence of Patrick on this one... ;)
You are correct but I thought I'd clarify before some people misread and write things some of us don't want to see. Especially since dimanno is one of the ones who is known for quoting Patrick out of context just to stir the pot

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Maybe moving to Vancouver will get Patrick to interact with "real coaches". That way he won't feel like he's cheating on Kathy, but he can hop over to someone within Champs International and get a few tips on landing that pesky 3A. Who knows. Maybe we should be happy he's going to an environment with "real skaters" who compete internationally in a field outside of ice dance.

seabm7

Final Flight
Maybe moving to Vancouver will get Patrick to interact with "real coaches". That way he won't feel like he's cheating on Kathy, but he can hop over to someone within Champs International and get a few tips on landing that pesky 3A. Who knows. Maybe we should be happy he's going to an environment with "real skaters" who compete internationally in a field outside of ice dance.

Well, I don't remember a skater from there having excellent 3A's. Still, let's hope he could get some help.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Never thought I would say that, but well, good luck to him. :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I almost hate to tell you this :laugh:, but I think Keegan still lives and trains in Alaska. He does represent a club in Alberta so he probably skates there once in a while.

The Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham area of Michigan does have some very impressive real estate. The Club itself is in more of an industrial area. To the north maybe 3/4 of a mile is a very very poor section of Pontiac. Thank goodness the DSC has a nice café for lunches since there are no restaurants nearby and hotels are 3 to 10 miles away. I've been to Skate Detroit a number of times and don't get lost as often as I used to navigating the highways.