Chocktaws and Mohawks | Golden Skate

Chocktaws and Mohawks

Maybe Apache88 can help me with this.

Does anyone know why these skating terms are named after Native American nations? Are there any others?

Mathman

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Mathmann- this question has come up on GS some time ago.

According to the book "Figure Skating History:The Evolution of Dance on Ice" these moves were named after American Indians. I will quote from the book:
"In the 1800's the British were fascinated by stories of American Indians. A few American Indians had been brought to England to entertain the British with war dances. Some skater who saw them thought the spread-eagle pose done in Indian ceremonies resembled the turned-out position of a turn they did on the ice. The tracing made by that turn resembled and Indian bow, so they named the turn the "mohawk" after the visiting tribe from New York State. This analogy fits the inside-to-inside mohawk. Skaters practiced mohawks in repetition on a circle 8. Maxwell Witham and H. E. Vandervel compiled the rules of English style in the first study of figure skating in any language in their book, "A System Of Figure Skating". Here is there discription of a outside to outside mohawk: A very pretty combination of the outside forward with the outside backwards skated by turning out his toes sufficiently so as to get in the spread eagle position. This figure was last year introduced int the Club figures on ice and christened by the nameof "Mohawk" According to Earnest Jones writing in "The Elements of Skating" in 1931, the name "mohawk" for this turn was derived from a cut-like step used by the Mohawk Indians in their war dances. Two editions later Max Witham described the "choctaw" named for another Indian tribe: "A variation of the Mohawk has lately been introduced and is called a "Choctaw"...the skater goes from the outside forward of one foot to the inside back of the other.
"Brackets", "rockers, "counters", "mohawks", and "choctaws" are the names of the skating turns.

dlkksk8fan said:
According to Earnest Jones writing in "The Elements of Skating" in 1931, the Two editions later Max Witham described the "choctaw" named for another Indian tribe: "A variation of the Mohawk has lately been introduced and is called a "Choctaw"...the skater goes from the outside forward of one foot to the inside back of the other.
"Brackets", "rockers, "counters", "mohawks", and "choctaws" are the names of the skating turns.

I still have trouble with understanding the definitiion of the 'choctaw'. I learned it as a left forward inside to a right back outside as well as forward outside to a back inside. Am I correct?

Joe

Thanks for the history, DLK. That's very interesting.

OT -- Is there an extra "K" in your name on this board?

Mathman:)

N

nthuz

Joe,

Both mohawks and choctaws are turns in which the skater changes from one foot to the other, from forward to back or backward to forward. The difference is the choctaw's entry edge is opposite from it's exit edge--outside to inside or inside to outside, and the mohawk's entry edge is the same as its exit edge--inside to inside or outside to outside.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
"Is there an extra "K" in your name on this board?"

The two k's are for my two last names (maiden and married)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

Not to mention the mohawk is much easier to do than the choctaw! I never thought about the names of these moves before; I just learned them and did them. Interesting.