choosing new boot + loop advice | Golden Skate

choosing new boot + loop advice

catonice

Spectator
hi! i'm a 15 year old skater and have been skating on and off for the past 3.5 years, but more seriously within the past few months. currently, i skate in the jackson freestyle (which are embarassingly broken down, like i'm talking 2 inch creases.. yikes!!) with an MK pro blade. i'm working on landing my axel and all of my other singles consistently, and i know why my progress has been pretty slow now (aforementioned broken down boot).

i've been looking over boot types for my level, but i can't come to a conclusion on whether i should get edea choruses or jackson premieres. i'm a little worried about overbooting with the edeas (which i've heard from some people isn't possible??). should i be looking at other brands besides these? i'm also planning to mount a coronation ace blade (was originally going to do the lite vers, but im pretty sure theres no difference).

secondly, my loop. aghh!!!!! for some reason, i can only land it well with an iside 3turn entrance, and from my waltz loop combo, but not a back edge. i have managed to do it, but only a few times. i feel like this is also an issue from my old boots- a few days ago, my more advanced friends told me i was taking off from two feet with the backwards entrance, which i definitely felt. i'm really hoping new, supportive skates will help these problems, so cross fingers! thank you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi! i'm a 15 year old skater and have been skating on and off for the past 3.5 years, but more seriously within the past few months. currently, i skate in the jackson freestyle (which are embarassingly broken down, like i'm talking 2 inch creases.. yikes!!) with an MK pro blade. i'm working on landing my axel and all of my other singles consistently, and i know why my progress has been pretty slow now (aforementioned broken down boot).

i've been looking over boot types for my level, but i can't come to a conclusion on whether i should get edea choruses or jackson premieres. i'm a little worried about overbooting with the edeas (which i've heard from some people isn't possible??). should i be looking at other brands besides these? i'm also planning to mount a coronation ace blade (was originally going to do the lite vers, but im pretty sure theres no difference).

secondly, my loop. aghh!!!!! for some reason, i can only land it well with an iside 3turn entrance, and from my waltz loop combo, but not a back edge. i have managed to do it, but only a few times. i feel like this is also an issue from my old boots- a few days ago, my more advanced friends told me i was taking off from two feet with the backwards entrance, which i definitely felt. i'm really hoping new, supportive skates will help these problems, so cross fingers! thank you.
HI and welcome!

First of all STOP JUMPING In those boots that are broken down, you're going to injure yourself.
Secondly, go to a good fitter that knows figure skates and how to properly measure and trace your foot to let you know what brand works with your foot. More likely than not, if you really do fit a jackson well, edea is out.

And yes, you CAN overboot in every brand of boot, edea included. Also, if you're going to Coronation Ace-stick to standard blade not lite. Lites aren't great and have more negatives than positives to them, especially if you are learning jumps and need to learn how to do them in a traditional/standard version blade.

Good luck! :)

catonice

Spectator
HI and welcome!

First of all STOP JUMPING In those boots that are broken down, you're going to injure yourself.
Secondly, go to a good fitter that knows figure skates and how to properly measure and trace your foot to let you know what brand works with your foot. More likely than not, if you really do fit a jackson well, edea is out.

And yes, you CAN overboot in every brand of boot, edea included. Also, if you're going to Coronation Ace-stick to standard blade not lite. Lites aren't great and have more negatives than positives to them, especially if you are learning jumps and need to learn how to do them in a traditional/standard version blade.

Good luck! :)
thank you for your advice! my local shop has ordered me the premieres, so ill see how those fit. 😺