Next Boot? | Golden Skate

Next Boot?

<3skater

Spectator
Hello,

Would love some advice for my next boot as a 5"3 130lb skater who is working on their loop/flip and scratch/sit spin. I skate about 3x a week and have a consistent waltz, salchow, toe loop, one foot spin and backspin,

I was last fitted by A&G(George) last Sept for my Jackson Entre boots when I started my salchow which fit well. However, they're already breaking down just over a year in.

This feels exceedingly fast as I was expecting the boots to last about 2-3 years?

I currently skate with an MK pro which has done wonders for my spins compared to the mark IV blades mounted on the ancient classique jackson boots I had from 20 years ago.

What boot should I consider next? I'm planning to remount my MK pros back into my next boots

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

Would love some advice for my next boot as a 5"3 130lb skater who is working on their loop/flip and scratch/sit spin. I skate about 3x a week and have a consistent waltz, salchow, toe loop, one foot spin and backspin,

I was last fitted by A&G(George) last Sept for my Jackson Entre boots when I started my salchow which fit well. However, they're already breaking down just over a year in.

This feels exceedingly fast as I was expecting the boots to last about 2-3 years?

I currently skate with an MK pro which has done wonders for my spins compared to the mark IV blades mounted on the ancient classique jackson boots I had from 20 years ago.

What boot should I consider next? I'm planning to remount my MK pros back into my next boots
Hi and welcome. An entre is not going to last 2-3 years on someone of your height/weight. It shouldn't even last a year, b/c the boot is too soft for you. You are going to need something stiffer. If your foot is a Jackson foot: At least look at Debut, at most look at Premiere 2800 or Synergy Elite.
Depending on how used those blades are and how worn down they are from repeated sharpenings, you may need to get new blades.

Good luck! :)

<3skater

Spectator
Thanks Ice3rabbit!

Your advice is super helpful and I appreciate your quick response

Do you know the difference between the Premiere 2800 and Synergy Elite as they have similar stiffness rating other than cost difference? Would the Synergy last longer? I've heard the new Premiere's break down faster than usual too which makes me worried.

I'm honestly attracted to the synergy tongue since my lace started bunching a bit instead of providing even coverage.

Originally SPTeri recommended Jackson Flex which was even softer which makes me even more nervous to trust their judgement. I had to show them that my jackson classiques (after 20 years...) were even firmer than the jackson flex and they agreed to up one level of stiffness.

I've only sharpened my MK pros 4-5 times so they should be ok given SPTeri was the one who's been sharpening my blades.

I figure it's not worth going customs for a bit more time...but the price point is beginning to climb up there

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks Ice3rabbit!

Your advice is super helpful and I appreciate your quick response

Do you know the difference between the Premiere 2800 and Synergy Elite as they have similar stiffness rating other than cost difference? Would the Synergy last longer? I've heard the new Premiere's break down faster than usual too which makes me worried.

I'm honestly attracted to the synergy tongue since my lace started bunching a bit instead of providing even coverage.

Originally SPTeri recommended Jackson Flex which was even softer which makes me even more nervous to trust their judgement. I had to show them that my jackson classiques (after 20 years...) were even firmer than the jackson flex and they agreed to up one level of stiffness.

I've only sharpened my MK pros 4-5 times so they should be ok given SPTeri was the one who's been sharpening my blades.

I figure it's not worth going customs for a bit more time...but the price point is beginning to climb up there
Synergy Elite is rapid custom so you can choose sole, tongue etc. Those should hold up better than the Premiere.

I would not trust the place you went and their recommendation if they tried to tell you that.

<3skater

Spectator
That's helpful to know that synergy elite should probably hold up better.

I'm wondering if @Sibelius is still around since I think we went to the same fitter and she commented that they're pretty conservative in their boot recommendations...