Christopher Reeve - Died Today | Golden Skate

Christopher Reeve - Died Today

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Just heard the news. Christopher Reeve died today of heart failure. He was only 52 years of age. My condolences to his family.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am shocked by this news. He was so brave in light of what he has gone through since the riding accident. :cry:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Christopher and Dana Reeve did so much to raise awareness regarding spinal cord injuries. Prayers for him and his family. It is so important that the work he started continue.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard a report on the news today of what he said saved his life after the accident. He said he just wanted to die but after hearing what his wife had to say is what changed his mind. His wife said, I will support whatever decision you make, it is your life but I want you to know that I will be with you through the long haul and you're still you, and I love you very much.

Both of them were so brave and what an inspiration to their marriage vows.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
stem cells - those not from embryos are being used in medical practices right now... so I don't think this will hurt "the cause" Joe

Both of them were so brave and what an inspiration to their marriage vows.
which in hollywood is a huge thing... I've always seen his wife as an inspiration...

He can walk again...

Vash01

Medalist
I am shocked! I really thought he was going to slowly improve. I have not turned the TV on today, so I just learned it from this board.

I am very saddened by the news.

Vash

Tonichelle said:
stem cells - those not from embryos are being used in medical practices right now... so I don't think this will hurt "the cause" .
Not quite sure of that, Toni. Bush seems to be adamant about not funding stem cell research, and other ailments that do not produce profits for the pharmeceuticals or go against some religious beliefs. It took a Republican Reagan to speak about this. Bush will not even give Reed, a notice for dying.

Joe

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Toni,
there are no stem cells used in medical practice currently. There are adult and embryonic stem cells, and what the potentials are for either is still too early to know for sure. Of course, the only way to know what they can do for people is to allow research to proceed. I know that many people feel that stem cells taken from embryos are unethical, but if it turns out the only way to allow someone who is paralyzed to walk again comes from those cells, I personally feel that it would be tragic to never find that out.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I sure agree with Bronx. It's not like they are taking a life. I'm so tired of Bush talking through his pockets!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mmmmm I've read several articles on the subject and the stem cells from the umberical(ha ha yeah if I spell that right give me a cookie cuz I don't even pretend to know how) cord seems to be turning out to be "better" than those of the aborted child...

I can totally understand why people see it as unethical (INCLUDING BUSH) as I'm one of them... but I think we've gotten off the subject...

again I don't think his death will diminish all that's trying to be accomplished in this area, Nancy Regan and Mary Tyler Moore are also gung ho on this subject and getting it legalized... as is Michael J. Fox... if anything his death will make people work faster

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Bless his soul, he came so far. We were all pulling for him to make a comeback. I guess it wasn't to be...........42

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny, Christopher is certainly walking again and maybe even throwing in a few dance steps. ;) :)

Toni, the stem cell concept is what I have struggled over in this election. If you watched the debate Friday, Kerrey gave a wonderful answer regarding this issue.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
The way I understand it is that these are not specimens that would be used for a baby anyway. I am against abortion too. That is why I have a difficult time with the nominated presidents. I decided that guns kill more people than abortions.