Circumstances of Bye or not Bye | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Circumstances of Bye or not Bye

millie

Medalist
BravesSkateFan said:
HA! No I'm not on the selection committee.
I wasn't referring to keeping the selection committee on thier toes, but rather those who will think of any reason why Kwan shouldn't be on the team (which by the way millie, I don't lump you in that catergory, and I was legitmately replying to your question.)

Thank you, I respect your honest opinion.:) :)

There are enough posts on all these threads that are giving reasons for MK to be denied a bye. No problem. Those posters are not on the committee either. If we can't think up another reason for her not getting the bye, let's wait and see what the committee says. Otherwise keep the reasons for denying flowing.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Sorry, Piel - she's the youngest. Both her brother Ron and sister Karen are older than her.:p

tripleflutz

On the Ice
The only one that I know of that wasn't mentioned is Jill Trenary in 1991. She had an injury that was keeping her from training for Nats and said that she would apply for a BYE to Worlds. I don't know why, but she didn't get one.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Antilles said:
Jaana, I could be wrong about it being Bowman who go the bye in '92. Someone else will have to confirm that. Who won U.S. Nationals in '92?

The fact about Eldredge getting a bye in 1992 was mentioned in the second post of this tread.

Here an excerpt about the selection procedure and getting a bye (the link is above in the second post):

> The U.S. Figure Skating athlete selection procedures for the 2006 Olympic Winter Games state that the champions in each discipline at the 2006 U.S. Championships automatically be nominated to the team. The remaining spots will be determined by the U.S. Figure Skating International Committee following the conclusion of each discipline, and are based on placement at the following events: 2006 U.S. Championships, 2005 Grand Prix Final, 2005 World Championships, 2005 Four Continents Championships, 2005 Junior Grand Prix Final and 2005 World Junior Championships. Skaters who do not compete at the 2006 U.S. Championships due to injury or illness may petition for nomination to the Olympic Team by submitting a written petition to the U.S. Figure Skating International Committee by the conclusion of their discipline at the 2006 U.S. Championships. The U.S. Figure Skating International Committee will determine whether to grant or deny the petition based on results from the previously mentioned events, excluding the 2006 U.S. Championships.>

Of course Kwan will get a bye because of several reasons, but another skater being in her exact situation regarding the previous season, would not be that lucky, perhaps? Kwan was only 4th in 2005 Worlds and she does not have results from 2005 Grand Prix final or 2005 Four Continents championships (or from 2004 GPF and Four Continents for that matter).

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
the stated rules versus the real world

Of course I had read the stated rules about using placements from previous competitions to determine bye or not bye... but it sounds as if previous bye or not bye decisions were swayed by other factors. Someone brought up Nichole skating in an ice show. What were the factors that caused Jill not to get her bye?Are there others who applied and did or didn't get a bye? I understand the factors listed for why Todd got his bye and why Nancy got her bye... but I'd love to hear a larger sample. Maybe some in this knowledgeable group know about some of the less celebrated cases.
Linny

millie

Medalist
If you this is drama now, just imagine if Sasha gets the third spot at Nationals and Michelle gets her bye for the Olympics, then Sasha is bumped off the team. Now that will be drama. Let's hope that don't happen. Good luck to all the skaters.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If you this is drama now, just imagine if Sasha gets the third spot at Nationals and Michelle gets her bye for the Olympics, then Sasha is bumped off the team. Now that will be drama. Let's hope that don't happen. Good luck to all the skaters.
Well even if Sasha were to come in 3rd that doesn't mean she would be bumped off the team for Michelle. Only the National champ is guarnateed a spot on the team. So the USFS could bump the 2nd place finisher and send Michelle, Sasha, and then National Champ.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
There's a big difference in the two things they skated in for one thing. Nicole skated in a program that was continuous, The Nutcracker. Marshall's is one competition. The difference is that Nicole's schedule entailed many shows where Michelle's was only one competition. To me, anyway, that is a huge difference.

S

SkateFan4Life

BravesSkateFan said:
I don't think so because the injury she had pre-Marshalls is not the same one that is keeping her out of nats. It was her hip that was the problem up through Marshalls and she was on the road to recovery during that competition. She said her hip is 100% fine. Its a new injury (groin) that is keeping her out of Nats, so I don't see how they can hold it against her that she competed at Marshalls.

Nicole Bobek was injured when she participated in the 22-city "Nutcracker on Ice" tour in December 1985, but she went ahead and skated with her injured ankle. She arrived at Nationals, still nursing the ankle injury, and she barely got thru the short program. While warming up for the long program, she twisted her ankle on a double axel, and she had to withdraw from the competition.

My take is - had Nicole not participated in the ice show and had stayed home and rehabilitated her ankle - but arrived at Nationals still nursing the injury - the USFSA would have probably given her a bye to the World team, since she was the defending US champion and World bronze medalist.

Her decision to skate in the ice show gave the green light to Tara Lipinski, who finished third that year at Nationals, to be named to the World Team.

schuttler1

Spectator
millie said:

Ha, I hope Sasha is reading this, what a wake-up call this would be.

Maybe just maybe Sash will decide to focus and stay on her feet. That's one thing in Sasha's favor, she knows and I 'm being sincere here, how to fall, get up, and keep going. I'm for Sasha to win the G.

Kwan is Kwan - media attention/money. Saying if she's not 100% she will not go. If she sustains annother injury, post-bye, she is going to those Olympics, probably mad because she can't carry the torch.

It's not just the Ladies. The US Men are not that far apart from past competitions.

Name any 3 possible for the podium except Johnny and Evan, and who gets bumped?

Joe

LBC

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's not just the Ladies. The US Men are not that far apart from past competitions.

Name any 3 possible for the podium except Johnny and Evan, and who gets bumped?

Joe

I'm guessing you mean will they bump somebody else in order to put Tim Goebel or Micheal Weiss on the team? Either that or bump one of them for the other?

I don't think it will happen. If you exclude Johnny and Evan then whoever else is on the podium will go to the olympics. Tim finished 10th at worlds last year. That doesn't trump Nationals results IMO. Mike didn't go to worlds at all last year. Johnny and Evan would be the only ones they would put on the team without a top 3 finish. Evan made GPF and was 3rd at worlds. Johnny was 4th at worlds.

I think either Tim or Mike will make it but I am hoping for Matt Savoie. The other 2 have been to the olympics and he hasn't.

If you mean who would get bumped if Evan or Johnny don't make the podium then that is a hard one?

I am thinking that Matt, Mike, and Tim in that order.

Last edited:

orchid

On the Ice
I hope Alissa and her team her keeping her away from all this thinking.

Skate Alissa, Skate !!!:love:

Linny

Final Flight
When is a bye not a bye

Methinks technically, a "bye" is when a skater doesn't skate in Nationals but asks for an Olympic or World birth anyway.

If a skater appears at Nationals but doesn't place on the podium and the USFSA decides to send him or her or them in the case of pairs or dance, then it isn't technically a "bye". Guess it's a "nod".

Linny

Linny

Final Flight
Nicole

If USFSA used Nichole's skating in the Nutcracker as a reason to choose not to give her the bye, then they weren't following their stated criteria of using placements from previous competitions.

So there appears to be a precidence of using subjective criteria.

What about Jill Trenery? Anyone know the circumstances of her not getting the bye?

Methinks there's another criteria going on which has much to do with who the next skater in line is. Which Nichole being turned down in favor of Tara, well, no one can predict the future but someone in a high place probably had an instinct that Tara would turn out to be the better choice. If the skater to be turned down were less of a fire brand, one has to wonder if it may have gone in Nichole's favor.

Are there other less celebrated bye or not byes (or nod or not nods) that the knowledgeable members of this board can think of? I'd like to know more about the subject... basically the subject of sending other than the top 3 at Nationals is intriguing when it's not something obvious like last year's Jenny over Kimmie because of the age rule.

Linny