Clockwise Jumpers | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Clockwise Jumpers

Country
Norway
There was a clockwise male skater who competed in one of the courchevel junior grand prixs this season, he attempted a quad and it was the first one I ever saw clockwise.

Casper Johansson from Sweden has a quad sal. But he didn´t try it in JGP-series all though he competed there. He tried one in Tallinn Trophy in the FS and one in the Nordics this season. If you are sure it was in the JGP event in Courchevel there must be another skater as well. Do you remember if it was Courchevel 1 or 2? I´m very curious now, because I love clockwise jumpers and there are so few men who jumps clockwise.

Btw, here is a video from Caspers quad sal on training. I had to watch it several times because I thought it was only a triple first :biggrin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWJTMZXlfob/

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have definitely seen plenty of clockwise jumpers from North America and from plenty of European countries including some in Eastern Europe that were communist regimes at the time the skaters started training.

Also some skaters representing smaller Asian countries, most of whom probably started training in North America.

Never from Russia/Soviet Union or China or Japan.

My impression is that the prevalence of clockwise skaters follows the natural preferences of the skating population in countries where the training tends to focus on individual instruction from early levels, when skaters are first/still mastering single jumps, whereas in countries that rely primarily on group training and group exercises from beginner through middle and higher levels, skaters who can't master the skills in the same direction everyone else is doing them would get weeded out of the sport early on.

However, I am not really familiar with training methods outside the US, so that's just my theory.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am coming back to provide some insights (I hope). I fs a little myself, and do my jumps clockwise. I skate with a lot of people on the ice but somehow our coach knows how to make space for me (the others jump counter clockwise). I train in The Netherlands as an adult and don't jump more than single jumps (which are less far and high of course) but it's certainly on a low level.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Few, because it generally means they are left-handed and there are many fewer lefties than righties overall. Among the best were Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Johnny Weir.
ETA: Katelyn Osmond
Your skating direction has absolutely NO relationship to the hand you write with. None at all. I wish people would just use clockwise/counterclockwise instead of the innacurate "lefty" "righty" verbage. I am clockwise but write with my right hand...

MiraiFan

Final Flight
the only explanation I could think of, and I am not a skater so this may be wrong, is that since coaches wouldn't feel comfortable teaching it on the reverse of what they can do? with the mechanics etc... But, maybe someone has a better reason.
No--coaches can adjust no problem. It's because sessions are crowded in Asia/Russia and it's easier to have everyone going the same direction... I think it's absolutely awful.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your skating direction has absolutely NO relationship to the hand you write with. None at all. I wish people would just use clockwise/counterclockwise instead of the innacurate "lefty" "righty" verbage. I am clockwise but write with my right hand...
It does have a relationship. There are exceptions, where a righty jumps clockwise, but most righties prefer counter-clockwise skating and most lefties prefer clockwise.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
It does have a relationship. There are exceptions, where a righty jumps clockwise, but most righties prefer counter-clockwise skating and most lefties prefer clockwise.
Don’t think that’s necessarily true. I’ve also heard things about eye dominance but it’s probably just another random thing. I’m a right handed lefty. Not sure I’ve met any left handed ones. It’s weird to me because from the dance world everyone prefers turning right. I’ve met like 1 or 2 dancers who like left better.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I think we should be called “righty” skaters since we spin to the right. Lefty makes no sense. Left is the normal way.:scratch2:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
There are a good number in ice dance, but you'd probably never know because they were corrected to "righty" to ice dance with a partner.
What do you mean by corrected? Don’t they have to do everything both ways in ice dance? I always thought it seemed beneficial to have one of each so one partner was on their good side for everything.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What do you mean by corrected? Don’t they have to do everything both ways in ice dance? I always thought it seemed beneficial to have one of each so one partner was on their good side for everything.
Many were broken of their natural direction long before they started skating ice dance as a discipline. That is what i was saying.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Don’t think that’s necessarily true. I’ve also heard things about eye dominance but it’s probably just another random thing. I’m a right handed lefty. Not sure I’ve met any left handed ones. It’s weird to me because from the dance world everyone prefers turning right. I’ve met like 1 or 2 dancers who like left better.
I was just thinking the same thing (pirouetting in my living room - thinking, hmmm- I prefer turning right and that's clockwise...LOL).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Few, because it generally means they are left-handed and there are many fewer lefties than righties overall. Among the best were Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Johnny Weir.
You'd be surprised to know that many "clockwise" jumpers are actually right handed.

Skaters who are "clockwise" I forgot to mention in previous post on thread: Cranston, Sumners, Carol Heiss, Grant Hochstein, Rohene.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner said that very young, in an ice skating lesson, someone stood her still and told her to turn around. She turned clockwise, so that's when and how the decision was made.