Coaching Change! | Golden Skate

Coaching Change!

flying camel

Medalist
When the skater does not perform up to par is it the skaters fault or the coaches fault? Is it a coaches job to give the skater confidence? Is it the coaches job to make sure the skater is COP ready? Is it the coaches job to make sure their skater has the best program for them? I don't skate so I don't know for sure whats all involved in making a competitive skater. I do remember Sarah Hughes talking about the night she won the Olympics that she was going to make that program happen. Maybe the skaters has to take some blame. But, for the most part I am finding fault with the coaching. After hearing about this years worlds I think many skaters need to make changes within themselves or make a coach change before its too late. The writing is on the wall for Kimmie, Alissa, Joannie, Jeffrey, Johnnie, just to name a few. I don't think a coach change would help Emily.

I just feel that competitive skating is serious business. If its your job to hit the jumps, then you should be hitting them. If you can't get the job done then the skater or even their parents need to find out why. Maybe Miki's coach will have a new flock of skaters next year. He seems to have the magic touch in coaching right now.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
I don't share your worry about Jeff. Remember that he had a very serious back injury that wiped out the majority of his season. That he was at Worlds at all this year was huge!! Plus, he does split his time between Mariposa and Lake Arrowhead to work w/Rafeal Arturian on his jumps. Now if he's where he is this time next year, then I will start to worry, but not yet.

Joannie OTOH...She needs to go back to the coach she had for her 2004/2005 season. She had fire, confidence and a triple-triple that year. As nice a person Manon seems to be, Joannie's regressed since returning to her camp.

As for Kimmie...The puberty monster hit her this year and even w/that, she still has the majority of her jumps. She just needs a bit more time to get used to the new body and I think she'll be fine.

As for Alissa and Johnny...Not sure what to say there. :(

nubka

Final Flight
Alyssa needs a coach that will actually, physically, help her work on her jumping problems, instead of treating like it's primarily a mental/confidence problem...

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Joannie OTOH...She needs to go back to the coach she had for her 2004/2005 season. She had fire, confidence and a triple-triple that year. As nice a person Manon seems to be, Joannie's regressed since returning to her camp.

Are you referring to the coach Joannie had during the season she worked with Sébastien Britten (sorry, I can't think of the other coach's name, either)? I made that exact same suggestion in another thread, but lost the entire post because I didn't know I had to log back in after a certain amount of time. :banging: I wondered if anyone else felt the same way and I agree Joannie definitely improved by leaps and bounds that year!

IMO, Joannie's biggest weakness seems to be the SP. I can't remember the last time she skated a truly clean SP in competition. To her credit, Joannie has been able to come back strong in the LP time and time again, but of course, she needs to skate both programs cleanly if she ever wants to win a World or Olympic medal someday. That and a 3-3.

As for the other skaters mentioned in this thread, sorry, I don't have any suggestions, either.

antmanb

Record Breaker
When the skater does not perform up to par is it the skaters fault or the coaches fault? Is it a coaches job to give the skater confidence? Is it the coaches job to make sure the skater is COP ready? Is it the coaches job to make sure their skater has the best program for them? I don't skate so I don't know for sure whats all involved in making a competitive skater. I do remember Sarah Hughes talking about the night she won the Olympics that she was going to make that program happen. Maybe the skaters has to take some blame. But, for the most part I am finding fault with the coaching. After hearing about this years worlds I think many skaters need to make changes within themselves or make a coach change before its too late. The writing is on the wall for Kimmie, Alissa, Joannie, Jeffrey, Johnnie, just to name a few. I don't think a coach change would help Emily.

I just feel that competitive skating is serious business. If its your job to hit the jumps, then you should be hitting them. If you can't get the job done then the skater or even their parents need to find out why. Maybe Miki's coach will have a new flock of skaters next year. He seems to have the magic touch in coaching right now.

I don't think it's as simple as gold medal = good coach.

The coaches role to a skater is to train them and help them. Skaters spend an awful lot of practice time on their own - they will take lessons from their coach but not all time on the ice is spent with their coach. A coach can teach the skater everything the skater needs to know about technique, their program, artistry, audience connection, the best way to wamr up depending on the skater order of the group etc etc. But ultimately it is the skater who is out there on the ice. All relationships between skater and coach are just that - relationships. there has to be something there to keep you both working to your best ability. just like ny other relationship, there can be ups and downs and sometimes complete breakdowns.

A skater's success does not show that one particular coach is very good - it just shows that they have a good working relationship and that a particular coach works well with a particular skater. Just because Miki won this season it doesn't mean her coach is the best...does that mean Pam Gregory was teh best last year and now she's not so good?

A coach can do everything s/he wants to help a skater but at the end of the day its down teh to teh person performing the programme.

Ant