COC - Ladies Long ponderings (Spoilers) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COC - Ladies Long ponderings (Spoilers)

DaveT

On the Ice
From what I've seen on youtube, Caroline's speed has improved over last year and she continues to keep with the music. Watching that Spanish/like number showed me that she is versatile.

YuNa, as much as I think of her as the best of this season's skaters, she showed me that she has trouble with the tempo of waltz, and that bugs me. Of course, speed without tempo of music will be obvious.

Carolina K, is much slower than previous seasons but that is to her advantage because I think her skating has become more pleasant to watch. But those long entrances without transitions into jumps bug me.

The above nitpicks are just my opinions and I do not predict and outcome of this competition.

Joe

Yes on Carolina! What I would have called telegraphing in the past, she has taken to a new level which I will now call stalking. Carolina doesn't telegraph her jumps, she stalks them.

fairly4

Medalist
That belakfac -- i agree with you about Michelle kwan. they started it with her and it looks like they are continuing with Caroline Zhang
I am sorry --i forgot your spelling bellanmaria-- thank you i love you answers . they are great.
I support Caroline Zhang and not an overzealous fan of hers . their is only one skater i really support and a fan of. that skater is not skating anymore.

i am just pointing out some similarites and differences. if that is being overzealous by some fans. than so be it.

it has been fun listening to your answers/reaction.
keep it up.

thank you all . you are great.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
True, but Kostner fans shouldn't have to give up a long used nickname.

oh my! this has gotten way too out of hand. Now we're bickering about who gets to keep a nickname?

Perhaps we should have a referendum on this topic.

bekalc

Record Breaker
sorry I was being lazy, forgot that was the Kostner thing ;)

I realize sometimes forget that because Caro isn't an American skater...But it can be frustrating especially when they are competiting against each other. And when you mention it to people some will literally ignore it. Caro is a cute nickname, and I think a lot of Zhang fans problem heard it somewhere, and well forget about who it was referring to and just started referring to Zhang as that. But it's just frustrating when people try to point out the potential confusion and Zhang fans completely ignore it. And especially if it's people on FSU, they truly should know better.

I realize D's point about it's silly to fight over a name. But the point I'm trying to make is that first come/first serve really should apply. It shouldn't be about who "has more fans."

I think that people could easily though refer to CaroZ, and it would be perfectly fine (and a Cute nickname for Caroline.)

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
there names are confusing, For example, I accidently referred to Caroline as Carolina and vice a versa. (It's probably typing to fast and not thinking but I actually had to edit my post) but at least with the A/E difference I know who people are referring too. With the Caro thing, I have no idea who anyone's referring too.

And honestly, with the Caro thing.. A great example is what if Yu-na Kim fans started referring to Yu-na as "Kimmie." Don't you think Zhang fans that it would be inappropriate, well it's kind of the same concept.

I agree it is confusing. The fact that you resent Caroline because some insist on calling her Caro is what's seriously frightening.

As far as I'm concerned, you've lost all credibility in commenting on anything related to Caroline.

And FWIW, I don't think that there's any conspiracy against Caroline. That's pushing it a little too far, I think. However, ITA on the whole Chinese culture assessment.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Both Carolina/Caroline's names are confusing, I constantly have to check whose/who. But now, it's even more confusing because I dont know who Caro is any more...I'm sorry but I feel like Zhang fans could show some respect to Kostner fans.

Since you quoted my post I will respond. I am a fan of Kostner and Zhang along with many other skaters and I would never show disrespect for any skater, I love figure skating too much. The ladies field is so talented it is hard for me to have a favorite right now. I will be happy with whomever skates the best at the competition, be it Mao, Meissner, Zhang, Kostner, etc. So please if you have me pegged as an uber Zhang fan please cross me off your list. Peace.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think Caroline Zhang's nickname in Chinese is Yuan-Yuan.

Yuan-yuan is her real Chinese name, not just a nickname.

Anyway, I've seen her referred to as "OO" on Chinese boards, it's so cute. "Yuan" in her name means circular or round. Her baby face is pretty round, and her spins make you go "OO" (or me anyway). I guess one could tag on her sirname initial too, but that turns it into a Z-O-O. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I agree it is confusing. The fact that you resent Caroline because some insist on calling her Caro is what's seriously frightening.

As far as I'm concerned, you've lost all credibility in commenting on anything related to Caroline.

And FWIW, I don't think that there's any conspiracy against Caroline. That's pushing it a little too far, I think. However, ITA on the whole Chinese culture assessment.

I never said I resent Caroline for that. I said I resent Caroline's fans for that issue. There's a difference. I don't hold Caroline responsible for her fans actions on that.
I do not hold a 14 year old girl responsible for her fans...read my post again, I never said that I was annoyed with Caroline over that issue.
And what annoys me isn't necessarily the innocent mistake, is the fact that people don't correct it...But I agree it's not fair to hold skaters responsible for their fans.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
I never said I resent Caroline for that. I said I resent Caroline's fans.

In any case, I think you're taking it too seriously. Nobody means to slight Carolina by calling Caroline "Caro." Caro is a typical nickname for "Caroline" in English. It's a very natural way to shorten the name, there's no reason to "resent" it when people do it; that's taking it a tad too personally, IMO...

OTOH, if people were to start calling some skater named Ludmila "Lulu" then that'd be truly confusing and strange, as "LuLu" is quite a unusual and well-known nickname for Chen Lu.

Anyway, a name is just a name! A rose by any other name...

bekalc

Record Breaker
In any case, I think you're taking it too seriously. Nobody means to slight Carolina by calling Caroline "Caro." Caro is a typical nickname for "Caroline" in English. It's a very natural way to shorten the name, there's no reason to "resent" it when people do it; that's taking it a tad too personally, IMO...

OTOH, if people were to start calling some skater named Ludmila "Lulu" then that'd be truly confusing and strange, as "LuLu" is quite a unusual and well-known nickname for Chen Lu.

Anyway, a name is just a name! A rose by any other name...

I don't think Caro really is that common in english. I think that's more an Italian thing. Carol is more common in English (Sounds the same, but it's spelled differently) At least I never heard of Caro before Kostner...And I've known a few Caroline's...
Honestly, I agree I don't think Zhang fans wanted to disprespect Kostner. But I know there have been threads about this on this forum in the past, and I've mentioned it on another, board and many people still do it.. So, that's what's more annoying than anything because they are competiting against each other!!! Perhaps the Compromise would be Caro K, and Caro Z when both girls are competiting against each other.

(Part of my thing is that I have a name that has a lot of nicknames Rebecca.) And well, whenever I've met someone whose preferred a nickname (Becky/or Becca) I've always tried to make things easier by going by the nickname the other person didn't want. Because I don't care as much and it's less confusing. (Atlhough mostly, I do go by Becca.) Honestly, the idea of someone suggesting a poll, seems unfair to me. (Which annoys me more than anything because I'm truly a first come first serve person).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought this would actually be about the WOMEN'S LONG...

anyway, who cares what who is called (excuse the funny wording there). Let the Kostner fans call her Caro, let the Zhang fans call her Caro. Just clarify in some way who is being referred to by that name. I have the habit at times of referring to Meissner as simply "Kim", which has confused some folks who refer to Yuna in that way. I simply refer to Yuna as "Yuna" to minimize confusion. But let's not get worked up over trivial stuff.

Mafke

Medalist
Yuan-yuan is her real Chinese name, not just a nickname.

Anyway, I've seen her referred to as "OO" on Chinese boards, it's so cute. "Yuan" in her name means circular or round. Her baby face is pretty round, and her spins make you go "OO" (or me anyway). I guess one could tag on her sirname initial too, but that turns it into a Z-O-O. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Coo !

Maybe I'll be nominated for a nobel peace prize?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I realize sometimes forget that because Caro isn't an American skater....

I normally don't GO by skater/fan nicknames... I was just being lazy this morning and didn't want to spell it all out... my bad... next time I'll remember to type it in full.

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
As someone already pointed out (in other skating forums), you certainly has something against Caroline Zhang. Why don't you just step out shouting "I HATE THAT GIRL FOR NO REASON" instead of citing this citing that...? At least by doing that we'll understand your discontents.:mad:

I realize sometimes forget that because Caro isn't an American skater...But it can be frustrating especially when they are competiting against each other. And when you mention it to people some will literally ignore it. Caro is a cute nickname, and I think a lot of Zhang fans problem heard it somewhere, and well forget about who it was referring to and just started referring to Zhang as that. But it's just frustrating when people try to point out the potential confusion and Zhang fans completely ignore it. And especially if it's people on FSU, they truly should know better.

I realize D's point about it's silly to fight over a name. But the point I'm trying to make is that first come/first serve really should apply. It shouldn't be about who "has more fans."

I think that people could easily though refer to CaroZ, and it would be perfectly fine (and a Cute nickname for Caroline.)

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, I guess if you're not completely in awe of Zhang's skating and are willing to recognize that there's a lot to improve, means you totally hate the girl. Glad to know that. Get a grip. :sheesh: