Competition ideas | Golden Skate

Competition ideas

Layback11

Record Breaker
As proven by things like WTT and the Broadmoor open's jump event, federations are always looking for creative competition ideas. Some succeed, some fail miserably, and some don't exist...except in the minds of creative GS members! Got an inspired idea for a new competition? Share it here!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I'd like to see an international jumping competition not limited to US skaters only (apart from Max, I'm not sure jumps are the strong suit of any US guy right now...). And maybe it could be combined with a spin competition, footwork competition...something that would let those skaters who excel in one particular area have a good shot at a prize.

At the Challenge Cup a couple months ago, they held an improv skate battle with live djs...to my knowledge we never got to see video of this event, but it sounded like a very fun idea (sans the audience voting, since it seemed rather biased toward the local skater(s)). I think this could be interesting for non-skating fans who enjoy shows like So You Think You Can Dance, The Voice, DWTS, etc.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm in the camp that thinks the program should be balanced - not jump-centric. I fear if there was a jumping contest that the emphasis would lean to that physicallity and the rest of it would get lost. I would like to see a strong professional circuit created again so that some of these skaters, such as Jeremy Abbott, would have a place to go to continue skating when perhaps they should leave the competitive arena to younger skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a skating enthusiasts I kind of like the break down of different areas or skating areas for competition ie jumps, spins and footwork but I thnk skating has at least a reputation that it isn't lilke those extreme sports. They are in the Olympics and are popular ie. certain sking, snowboarding events. But they will never have the same cachet or prestige of hockey or skating. Does that make sense. yes, they are very popular but it is like no matter how bad Mercedes is they still have a certain cachet, a certain branding. We have to be careful skating doesn't become more of a pop item. The WTT already seems more of a cheesefest a self made competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm in the camp that thinks the program should be balanced - not jump-centric. I fear if there was a jumping contest that the emphasis would lean to that physicallity and the rest of it would get lost. ...

At the Broadmoor jump competition, skaters are not performing full programs. They simply jump -- so I don't see what is in danger of getting lost.

Similarly, the Broadmoor Open has a spin competition, for which the skaters do not perform full programs. They simply spin.

BTW, Team KoRo apparently sees no harm in the Broadmoor jump and spin competitions.
Rohene, Jason, and Jordan have been mainstays of both.

2014 Broadmoor Open
Senior Men - Jumps
Final Standings
Place Name 1 2 3 4 5 Maj. Tie Br.
1. Jason Brown, Skokie Valley FSC 1 1 1 1 1 5/1
2. Danny Neudecker, Seattle SC 2 2 2 2 2 5/2
3. Trevor Bergqvist, Lerum KK Sweden 3 3 4 4 3 3/3
4. Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC 5 4 3 3 4 4/4
5. Spencer Simon, Skokie Valley FSC 4 5 5 5 5 5/5

2013 Senior Men - Jumps - Final Standings
1 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley FSC
2 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC
3 Rohene Ward, Individual Member
4 Brandon Mroz, Broadmoor SC
5 Brian Krentz, Skokie Valley FSC
6 Paul Bonifacio Parkinson, Italian FS Federation
7 Lukas Kaugars, Broadmoor SC
8 Spencer Simon, Skokie Valley FSC

2014 Broadmoor Open
Senior - Spins
Final Standings
Place Name 1 2 3 Maj. Tie Br.
1. Jason Brown, Skokie Valley FSC 1 1 1 3/1
2. Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC 2 2 2 3/2

2013 Senior - Spins - Final Standings
1 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley FSC
2 Rohene Ward, Individual Member
3 Avery Kurtz, Broadmoor SC

Results links:
http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com/2014 BO6.0.pdf 2014
http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com/bo6.0results.pdf 2013​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think a proper improv contest would be fun. You know, something where the skater does not hear the music until they actually get on the ice. And you could pick the music based on who was entered and go for a diametric opposite. You know, if it's Joshua, you could pick rock'n'roll or something.

I really enjoy the jump events. I think the ISU should look into reviving that Top Jump. Make it a big post-season thing with heaps of prizemoney and stuff. Kind of like the new Broadmoor jump event, only on a global scale. (I don't think international skaters are precluded from entering the one at Broadmoor this year - I'm still hoping Brendan will show up for the backflip contest - but it's still pretty local.)

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I checked Broadmoor open, i didn't know what it was and I think it is a great idea! I remember back in the days like 2001 or 2002 there was the same kind of competition called "top jump" where they did only their most difficult jump/combination. I think Brian Joubert won or was second. I don't remember.

I kinda agree that after worlds championships instead of doing quad battle in the gala (or rather in addition to that!) they could do "top jump" and "top spin" with world class skaters.

Also I am thinking a bit like in tennis where players can enter single competitions at tournaments but also doubles and mixed doubles. That would be cool if they permitted single skaters to do, not really pairs but "doubles" programs. I am thinking Takahashi/Suzuki tango here. Or Weir/Lambiel partnership that we never saw!

I really like the improv contest idea!

owl

On the Ice
I think a proper improv contest would be fun. You know, something where the skater does not hear the music until they actually get on the ice. And you could pick the music based on who was entered and go for a diametric opposite. You know, if it's Joshua, you could pick rock'n'roll or something.

I really enjoy the jump events. I think the ISU should look into reviving that Top Jump. Make it a big post-season thing with heaps of prizemoney and stuff. Kind of like the new Broadmoor jump event, only on a global scale. (I don't think international skaters are precluded from entering the one at Broadmoor this year - I'm still hoping Brendan will show up for the backflip contest - but it's still pretty local.)

:points:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
As a skating enthusiasts I kind of like the break down of different areas or skating areas for competition ie jumps, spins and footwork but I thnk skating has at least a reputation that it isn't lilke those extreme sports. They are in the Olympics and are popular ie. certain sking, snowboarding events. But they will never have the same cachet or prestige of hockey or skating. Does that make sense. yes, they are very popular but it is like no matter how bad Mercedes is they still have a certain cachet, a certain branding. We have to be careful skating doesn't become more of a pop item. The WTT already seems more of a cheesefest a self made competition.

Nobody suggested that these replace proper competitions. And are you not at all familiar with the kind of pro competitions that were commonplace in the 90s? The WTT (which a lot of fans and skaters seem to really enjoy) is nothing compared to those.

"We have to be careful..." speak for yourself, please. "We" are different people with different opinions. Some of us would like to see skating become more popular again, and to progress in innovative ways.

Noolan

On the Ice
I want adult competitions to get EXTREME :rock: Everything is allowed including chairs, fireworks, bikes, planes, swords, whatever you can get on the ice :laugh: But it's not an exhibition, it's a competition that has its own special set of rules. That way adult figure skating will find some kind of new niche and can maybe become its own thing that people want to see. Pretty sure adult skaters themselves would be against that kind of thing though :laugh: