COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 9 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A tiger at the Bronx zoo just tested positive (with a non FDA approved test, which means it hasn't been tested for efficacy or reliability) for COVID 19. This is going to be very, very bad for house cats. The way people are freaking out around here, hoarding toilet paper, chicks, flour, yeast, anything they can get their hands on (while being in stores potentially exposing themselves) I am afraid of feral colonies being destroyed and massive numbers of pet cats being turned in to shelters or killed because many shelters aren't open to the public right now. If people would just stop and think....pet cats (who should be kept inside always) are very unlikely to transmit the virus to their owners. If it is transferrable, the cats should be worried about their owners transferring it to THEM. A feral cat won't come within 6 feet of anyone who hasn't been feeding it for years.

OK, it LOOKS like 7 cats at the zoo might have symptoms. This changes everything...did a zoo keep give it to them? Did that person travel to other zoos? The strain is definately the human strain, as reported today. If house cats can get this and are put outside, it wont be pretty.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is a virus we've only been aware of as being able to infect humans since for what 5 months ago? That's no time at all.

But we don't know how many live particles of the virus is needed to infect someone, we don't know how it might be transmitted in the air (if at all). There's a lot scientists are learning on the fly and so, like with any breaking news, you're going to end up with a new discovery negating previous reporting.

More is being learned every day at least. I don't know any responsible sourse that thinks it can't be transmitted through droplet effect or aerosol effect. To my satisfaction, This was proven in 2003 by studying those that got SARS on an airline flight. 6 ft BTW is a minimum. You are correct that we dont know how many actual viruses are needed in the viral dose, or "viral load" if you will. We know with norovirus,for instance. its only 2-3 but this isnt norovirus. We do know that the viral load is important. Get a few and your immune system has time to react and make antibodies....but get a big dose....not so much.....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, it LOOKS like 7 cats at the zoo might have symptoms. This changes everything...did a zoo keep give it to them? Did that person travel to other zoos? The strain is definately the human strain, as reported today. If house cats can get this and are put outside, it wont be pretty.....

There are over 1 million people in the world who have had or have Coronavirus. They found one cat in ...Brazil? Belgium? sorry I can't remember..they think MIGHT have it. Far more people are close to house cats than tigers. I don't think we have much to worry about. No one should be putting cats outside, but that's a matter for another thread.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
There are over 1 million people in the world who have had or have Coronavirus. They found one cat in ...Brazil? Belgium? sorry I can't remember..they think MIGHT have it.

Nobody is testing cats for COVID-19 so we have no idea of the prevalence. In fact, the USDA does not recommend coronavirus testing of animals.

The New York City tiger was confirmed to have the virus after coming into contact with an infected staffer at the Bronx zoo. They also said that 3 other tigers and 3 lions at the zoo are showing symptoms but haven't been tested.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

A zoo staffer was infected with the virus and that's why the tiger was tested. We can't be sure if the staffer gave it to the tiger or vice versa.

They are saying there's "no evidence" of transmission from cats to humans, but they haven't actually tested that hypothesis. I don't know, that doesn't sound right to me. The working theory is that COVID-19 leapt from animals to humans, and now we're infecting other animals with the virus, but supposedly those animals can't infect humans?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I asked a personal friend who is a veterinarian today. She is really into the science, specializes in cats, has friends in the CDC and NIH and all that good stuff. I am none of those things, so I hope I am explaining this correctly. As the academics say, all errors are mine.

TL; DR version: humans can transmit to cats. Cats will not get (ETA: deadly )symptoms. Cats are “dead end receptors” and cannot transmit to humans.
As far as we know now.

More detail: Humans can transmit the virus, which is called something like Sarco2(?); COVID19 is the disease. The virus is transmitted through receptors, which have an identifying number I don’t remember. Cats share some of the receptors with humans. But cats don’t get sick like humans do, the tiger had very mild symptoms. And the cat doesn’t transmit back because they don’t get sick. (In humans, older folks and males have more of the receptors and therefore get more of the virus)

She analogized it to heartworm. Dogs can get very sick from heartworm. Humans and cats can get heartworm, but they don’t get nearly as sick. And they can’t give it to dogs.

And again, I may be vastly oversimplifying as I tried to retain what she was saying. Dogs share fewer receptors with humans and therefore are even less susceptible to the virus. The poor ferret, however, shares many of these receptors.:(

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
A zoo staffer was infected with the virus and that's why the tiger was tested. We can't be sure if the staffer gave it to the tiger or vice versa.

They are saying there's "no evidence" of transmission from cats to humans, but they haven't actually tested that hypothesis. I don't know, that doesn't sound right to me. The working theory is that COVID-19 leapt from animals to humans, and now we're infecting other animals with the virus, but supposedly those animals can't infect humans?

It came from animal to human so I'd assume a cat can pass it on but I think it would be generally safe to say the human gave it to the cat. The tiger is in a zoo..caged.. the tiger cant' just get it from something else. I suppose unless it was a small animal that came through the cage but I would assume that is highly unlikely.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've found recent contributions to this thread to be encouraging.

I had understood that there was a shortage of testing resources, both kits to administer the tests and labs to process the kits, and that public health was in jeopardy as a result.

But if we're spending those resources on zoo animals, rather than on people, everything must be OK on the testing front.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No it is not, sad to say. Connecticut had very well deployed testing, but had to limit testing due to not enough swabs and PPE.

On the better news front, every pharma company worth its salt is trying to develop vaccines and therapies- heck- there has got to be a profit on a shot everyone has to get.
https://www.theday.com/business/20200409/pfizer-readying-possible-coronavirus-treatment

Locally in CT, Pfizer is working on both fronts.

New York City-based Pfizer said in a news release Thursday that it is developing a so-called protease inhibitor that has shown promise in fighting the coronavirus. Initial screening has indicated the lead antiviral drug candidate as well as other similar compounds are potentially "potent inhibitors" of the coronavirus known in scientific circles as SARS-CoV-2, the release said.

The summer start date for clinical trials is "three or more months in advance of earlier estimates," according to the release. "Researchers and scientists have been relentlessly working to develop an investigational antiviral compound to treat (coronavirus)

Two existing drugs are also being tested by Pfizer as therapies for coronavirus, azithromycin and Xeljanz.

In addition, Pfizer and the German firm BioNTech SE have announced a global collaboration to co-develop a new coronavirus vaccine. Clinical trials will get underway in the United States and Europe as early as the end of this month, and Pfizer said the companies could potentially have millions of vaccine doses ready by the end of this year with speedy regulatory approval, and hundreds of millions on the market by 2021

Last edited:

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I had understood that there was a shortage of testing resources, both kits to administer the tests and labs to process the kits, and that public health was in jeopardy as a result.

But if we're spending those resources on zoo animals, rather than on people, everything must be OK on the testing front.

As a lab scientist, there are several different tests with varying degrees of accuracy. The quickie tests have a high degree of false negatives but are useful for field testing first responders for exposure issues. If you test positive you are out of the field. If negative, you need a more sensitive test to rule out exposure. Many tests are in existence, how fast they can be manufactured is another matter as some supplies needed are hard to get.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
As a lab scientist, there are several different tests with varying degrees of accuracy. The quickie tests have a high degree of false negatives but are useful for field testing first responders for exposure issues. If you test positive you are out of the field. If negative, you need a more sensitive test to rule out exposure. Many tests are in existence, how fast they can be manufactured is another matter as some supplies needed are hard to get.

Many of the ingredients apparently come from India and China, from factories who we consider too dangerous/environmentally unfriendly to be allowed on our domestic soils ...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This was meant to be read as tongue-in-cheek, leaning towards sarcastic.

Much of the commentary I've read stemming from the "positive" tiger has been linked to that Netflix documentary on Joe Exotic, which I think is ridiculous (both the program and the commentary on the tiger test). But still, whoever looked at the human need and thought, "Hey! Let's spend these scare resources on an animal!" really should be called to account.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We shouldn’t be getting our exercise jumping to conclusions;)

Bronx Zoo Tiger did not get a Human Coronavirus Test

The implication of this kind of cross species infection, so far from the original one, is important. I have no idea what Tiger King is (well I do, but it sounds like nothing I would ever want to watch :biggrin:) and I don’t think it has much to do with the pursuit of this knowledge.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Two existing drugs are also being tested by Pfizer as therapies for coronavirus, azithromycin and Xeljanz.

Probably just coincidence but when I returned from my last Cruise, Jan 23rd, I got sick with a respritory illness and took azithromycin, which killed it. My wife got it from me and took azithromycin and got well too. Then, I got fatigue and loose stools and weight loss and low appetite and cant taste very well. No fever or serious cough...talked with my doc two days ago and she said she could send me down to the parking lot where they give tests but they wouldnt give me one as they are still hard to come by and I would have to have a fever or obvious cough before they would spend a kit on me. We will wait for the blood serum test to come along.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We shouldn’t be getting our exercise jumping to conclusions;)

Bronx Zoo Tiger did not get a Human Coronavirus Test

The implication of this kind of cross species infection, so far from the original one, is important. I have no idea what Tiger King is (well I do, but it sounds like nothing I would ever want to watch :biggrin:) and I don’t think it has much to do with the pursuit of this knowledge.

The Bronx tiger incident is interesting but it fell off the news cycle like a rock. Last I heard the cat had human covid 19 and seven cats in all were showing symptoms. Then nothing. The implication of course is that if a human gave it to the cat, then other infected humans can give it to their cats and turn them loose to play with other cats and perhaps infect other humans....but I have heard nothing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Bronx tiger incident is interesting but it fell off the news cycle like a rock. Last I heard the cat had human covid 19 and seven cats in all were showing symptoms. Then nothing. The implication of course is that if a human gave it to the cat, then other infected humans can give it to their cats and turn them loose to play with other cats and perhaps infect other humans....but I have heard nothing.

My understanding is that humans can give to cats, based on this test, but not vice versa. I am no scientist and cannot vouch for certain.

Cat to cat transmission I am not sure about either :scratch2: but cats should be safe at home with their people anyway :pray:

And deals should not be an issue as long as they are not close enough to humans to catch. Then again, it wasn’t like the zookeeper was kissing the tiger. So many questions....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My understanding is that humans can give to cats, based on this test, but not vice versa. I am no scientist and cannot vouch for certain.

Cat to cat transmission I am not sure about either :scratch2: but cats should be safe at home with their people anyway :pray:

And deals should not be an issue as long as they are not close enough to humans to catch. Then again, it wasn’t like the zookeeper was kissing the tiger. So many questions....

To date a SARS-like coronavirus has been isolated from many palm civets (Paguma larvata) (1). A comparison of isolates from civets and humans demonstrated 99.8% homology (1). In addition, there have been reports of small numbers of other animals that have demonstrated evidence of infection with SARS- like coronaviruses (1,5,6). Although it is possible that other animals may have a role in the lifecycle of the SARS coronavirus, to date the best available evidence points towards involvement of civets.

Sorry, the civet is one of the main suspected culprits in the 2003 SARS outbreak. See the link below for the CDC warning.

Civets, being wild terrestrial carnivores, also can be infected with and transmit rabies (7). In 2001-2002, 98 civets were imported into the United States (44% from Asia); most, if not all, were imported for private ownership. Introduction of non-native species, such as civets, into the United States can lead to outbreaks of disease in the human population. CDC is therefore taking this action to reduce the chance of the introduction or spread of SARS into the U.S. Importation of civets infected with SARS would present a public health threat, and, based upon currently available evidence, banning the importation of civets is an effective way of limiting this threat.
https://www.cdc.gov/sars/media/civet-ban.html