COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 16 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm interested in news that indicates that many more people than we know have already been infected and have no symptoms or have recovered without ever having known they had the virus. Also, I'm following the French case that shows the virus was in Europe quite a bit sooner than originally thought.

Both of these give some hope that the death rate for those infected is significantly lower than first thought.

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm interested in news that indicates that many more people than we know have already been infected and have no symptoms or have recovered without ever having known they had the virus. Also, I'm following the French case that shows the virus was in Europe quite a bit sooner than originally thought.

Both of these give some hope that the death rate for those infected is significantly lower than first thought.

I'm just worried that if the mortality rate is lower that it seems now then a certain news network here will further berate the stay-at-home measures that are preventing the spread of it. Yes, many people only suffer mild symptoms but for the unlucky who have more severe reactions (not including critical) it's much worse than the flu. Never mind that we don't fully understand the long term effects: the Times has a story this morning about "mysterious syndrome" affecting children who have had Covid.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just worried that if the mortality rate is lower that it seems now then a certain news network here will further berate the stay-at-home measures that are preventing the spread of it. Yes, many people only suffer mild symptoms but for the unlucky who have more severe reactions (not including critical) it's much worse than the flu. Never mind that we don't fully understand the long term effects: the Times has a story this morning about "mysterious syndrome" affecting children who have had Covid.

I'm completely disinterested in political spin from the right or the left, and very interested in facts, and sadly there seem to be few places to get that without one side or the other "crafting a narrative" rather than "reporting what we know."

And I think it is perfectly fine to say, "We don't know everything about this virus" and "our recommendations may change as we learn more" but everyone, politicians and media and even medical experts, are invested in "I am right and you are wrong."

... And people wonder why there is such a lack of public trust in institutions.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Right, it's also difficult to compare numbers as, from my understanding, some countries are not counting all deaths where the deceased tested positive for COVID-19 but only those where COVID-19 was the direct cause of death.

Perhaps a year from now the picture will be clearer, but long-term effects will be even harder to measure.

True. In Poland they do that. And of course, if you died without testing positive, they don't count it. I heard about a case, where someone was waiting to for test to be done, but died waiting for it. The official numbers mean pretty much nothing. I know in my town the number of deaths incresed a lot compared to the year before and there is only few confirmed covid-19 deaths.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Sorry, some sloppy reading/replying on my part as you were only talking about projected deaths, but as NaVi pointed out, that graph makes no sense at all. The US will surpass 70,000 deaths this week already. It's also incorrect or at least highly debatable that Sweden are just starting their rise, because looking at more detailed charts, deaths have plateaued.

Anyway, I was referring to the current number of deaths per million as reported by Johns Hopkins University.

Russia, officially for instance has a low number of Covid-19 deaths but a sharp increase in deaths caused by pneumonia. Independent sources are less certain over the test results and statistics there.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Russia, officially for instance has a low number of Covid-19 deaths but a sharp increase in deaths caused by pneumonia. Independent sources are less certain over the test results and statistics there.

The same phenomenon happened during the building of Hoover Dam in the US. A lot of workers on the dam died in the hospital of pneumonia after being pulled unconscious from the construction tunnels. Strangely enough, none of their family members got pneumonia, and the pneumonia mini-epidemic never spread beyond the one hospital closest to the dam construction site.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, my great aunt (in her 90s) was just diagnosed with the virus. We're trying to be hopeful, but it's difficult.

God bless and keep her .... hoping she makes a full recovery.. Prayers for her..

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The Finnish Police in Oulu (= a town in Northern part of Finland - not in Lappland) has published a video from Oulu and its empty streets with a singing policeman walking there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAvr7fcVJBE

The music piece is a popular Russian melody called "I love life" here with Finnish words and at the end of the clip the people are asked to love life and stay at home... It has become quite a hit in less than a month...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The mortality rate in the US is 5.4%. It is currently the leading cause of death in the US. I can’t keep up with other countries very well. New Zealand almost completely escaped it, but they shut the country down and didn’t even allow their own citizens re entry (they can enter now, but have to quarantine for 2 weeks in a government facility).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m from New Zealand too and we should be in level 2 within about 10 days. I wish other countries would be smart and do what we are doing [emoji31] can’t believe how stupid the USA is

I can’t either. And I live here.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, my great aunt (in her 90s) was just diagnosed with the virus. We're trying to be hopeful, but it's difficult.

Oh no. White healing light to her.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a little worried we will see a spike in cases in the U.S. Mothers day weekend a lot of people were out. And with Memorial day weekend coming up, it's a little scary.