Dance Free - Please use this thread for comments and PBP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dance Free - Please use this thread for comments and PBP

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Another overmarked, over-rated, Russian team built up by the Russian Federation which is cheap knock off, of a cheap knock off, of a cheap knock off of something 20 years ago the USED to be beautiful.

You know, there's nothing wrong with you not liking the skating of the Russian teams, but do you have to resort to bashing?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Del/Sho, D/S and D/W. Too bad about B/A hopefully Ben will recover quickly.

madibe

On the Ice
I love Delobel and Schoenfelder's free. In parts of it, the choreography is absolutely perfect with the music, and I think it'll only get better.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Everything is going wrong for Tanith and Ben this season. I hope that it is nothing serious. I love that Davis and White medaled though. They deserved higher I am sure.

Jasper

Final Flight
My thoughts:

I'm surprised a lot of people here didn't originally like Del/Schoe's choice of music and program. I think it is an exceptional program - one of the best of the past decade and hopefully a winner at Worlds this year... although who knows about the absent Canadians when they return.

With D/L retired, Del/Schoe undoubtedly take the title for best lifts in the business. I am so happy they decided to stay in the game, because otherwise there would be a huge lack of creativity and ingenuity. What happens when they retire, probably after 2010? I don't know if anyone can fill that French void when it comes to interesting yet aesthetically pleasing positions and lifts, paired with pure edges and skating skills.

I agree with those posters who believe Dom/Shab are still consistently overmarked. The poor speed, cohesion, and skating skills - they ought to be ranked lower than their compatriots K/N and, in this competition, around F/S. That's my opinion anyway. They try to bump up the element of drama and emotion, but it's SO CONTRIVED. Not enjoyable to watch.

D/W are fantastic technically and one day will be champions, but right now they are lacking some emotion and star appeal. They look so young on the ice still.

Jasper

Final Flight
You know, there's nothing wrong with you not liking the skating of the Russian teams, but do you have to resort to bashing?

His comment is actually quite fair. Looking objectively at the situation, each new top Russian team who is selected by the Russian Federation is a carbon copy of the past one. But with the horrible N/K winning the Olympics in '06 (oh brother, don't get me started), and now Dom/Shab near the top... clearly these Russian teams are getting worse and worse. The Russian teams used to deserve their superior scores.

And while people may not enjoy K/N because of their "gymnastic" and athletic quality, at least they are a Russian team with an original, unique feel.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tonight I witnessed an outright travesty of judging in the Ice Dance competition at the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Finals. After witnessing a deplorably labored, disjointed and slowly performed free dance by Domnina and Shabalin of Russia the ISU judging panel gave them seasons best marks of 93.62 and the Silver Medal.

This program demonstrated a continued slide in this team's level of performance since last season and their coaching change. Maxim looked like he was in a coma on the ice... his lifts (yes they are difficult) appeared laboured, his stroking heavy and speed over the ice practically non-existant. On top of this, the choreography bore no relationship to the music.

It appears we are back to reputation judging. If so, then what the hell was the purpose again for instituting the IJS? Come on, lets get real. D & S in no way deserved a medal for that performance!

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
I dont get what the judges see in Dom/Shab at all.
They are just sloppy and make way too many mistakes to score that high!

Politiking, I guess. Things never really change, do they?

If they end up winning in 2010 w/ a sloppy skate I’m going to puke!

samba

On the Ice
Tonight I witnessed an outright travesty of judging in the Ice Dance competition at the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Finals. After witnessing a deplorably labored, disjointed and slowly performed free dance by Domnina and Shabalin of Russia the ISU judging panel gave them seasons best marks of 93.62 and the Silver Medal.

This program demonstrated a continued slide in this team's level of performance since last season and their coaching change. Maxim looked like he was in a coma on the ice... his lifts (yes they are difficult) appeared laboured, his stroking heavy and speed over the ice practically non-existant. On top of this, the choreography bore no relationship to the music.

It appears we are back to reputation judging. If so, then what the hell was the purpose again for instituting the IJS? Come on, lets get real. D & S in no way deserved a medal for that performance!

As I posted earlier, I agree with you 1000% what a shame, ISU judges!! It's the most shameful thing that I've ever seen in the last couple years. Besides the horrible program, they also did not skate well. Both tech.scores and PCS were outrageous. I can see why the Italians were upset. Shame on you, ISU

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
As I posted earlier, I agree with you 1000% what a shame, ISU judges!! It's the most shameful thing that I've ever seen in the last couple years. Besides the horrible program, they also did not skate well. Both tech.scores and PCS were outrageous. I can see why the Italians were upset. Shame on you, ISU

oh I just saw D/W and D/Sch! I was especially amazed by D/Sch. What a moving program. It has a mysterious allure/magic to it, I was totally sucked into it when I saw it today. And I can't believe how improved their lifts are. while I was unsatifised with theirs last year, I can't help but see that theirs are the best of the bunch this year I'm so happy to see that Olivier's skating's become so much more confident and precise than ever. and when they went into the twizzles I knew this time around I wouldn't have to hold my breath; I knew they would make it this time....Oh, and D/w looked beautiful, if only they hadn't messed up in the od...

luvsasha

Final Flight
His comment is actually quite fair. Looking objectively at the situation, each new top Russian team who is selected by the Russian Federation is a carbon copy of the past one. But with the horrible N/K winning the Olympics in '06 (oh brother, don't get me started), and now Dom/Shab near the top... clearly these Russian teams are getting worse and worse. The Russian teams used to deserve their superior scores.

ITA with you, and the orginal poster. And i don't think the original poster was bashing at all. Bashing is when you say I hate so and so, they're awful, they're stupid and stuff like that.That's obviously not what the poster said. oh, and by the way, i actually thought that post was kind of funny.

lmarie086

Medalist
I've only seen DelSchoes and D/W's FDs, but I thought both were amazing, especially DelSchoes. D/S just suck you into it without you really even noticing-they are so good that absolutely nothing can make you look away, that's how good they are. This FD grows on me every time I see it. And as a side note, their lifts are amazing!! Love them.

D/W were great IMO, perhaps not as strong emotionally as at CoR but still something special. I noticed in the slss their movements are bigger, which is where they have been slowing down a bit and not making the most of the music in the other two times we've seen this. It's a great piece. And can I just say that IMO, Meryl's extension is improving? We saw it in the Viennese and one place I'm seeing it make its way in the dances is in the spins. Last season her knee was bent visibly; not so anymore. Good work.

I haven't seen DomShab's FD but I have seen their OD and the scores completely baffle me. Slow slow slow! Looked awkward and laboured; their excellent presentation really saved them there, and sounds like it may have here as well. I'll say more on that after I find it.

Final Flight
Del/Sch: they changed their cris-crossing twizzles :( maybe it was more difficult and they weren't receiving high scores. they have gotten a lot more emotive in their lifts. but their footwork wasn't as tight as TEB. hated the edited ending. that lopping lift thingy was great.....they should add their sig nature move.

Congrats to the french I think a healthy V&M beats them though we'll see .

have you seen their program?

He reminds me of Boris Becker! :laugh:

a handsome version of ron perlman?

Last edited by a moderator:

rosee

On the Ice
hated the edited ending. that lopping lift thingy was great.

Isabelle got food poisoning too and it was risky to perform this lift.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jyqME7AUkwUsAcmAISjvpPPtO3yQ
"My stomach hurts. I vomited all day since this morning", Said Isabelle to the AFP l'AFP, looking very pale.

"There were already two withdrawals (The Americans Belbin-Agosto et The Russian Khokhlova-Novitski), so I thought it would be disappointing if we withdrew too. And I love this routine (on Pink Floyd), so much that I wanted to perform it. And when you're able to give that kind of performance given the circumstances, it's great! But it was very very hard.
We kept a good sobriety, a right tone in the routine and it went well. We changed the last lift which required a great strengh in the abdominal (...). Our coaches were surprised but this improvisation was necessary given my state" She added

"I was ready to have some weak moment but actually she was strong during all the FD. We reasoned and supported each other. It was close to our heart to finish the competiton and to win this final" added Olivier Schoenfelder.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Del Schoes made a very smart choice, particularly since the last lift is one of those non-counting Li+trans lift. Why take a risk?

They certainly deserved the win. The program is not a favorite of mine, though.

I thought the bacchanale part of D&W's FD was much better than the last two outings, particularly the midline step. I thought it was a lot less disjointed and their unison was better than the last 2 outings. From the protocols, they got level 4 on everything except the midline step, which was level 3. Meryl's leg position in the combination lift was really nice this outing. (BTW, the stiff arms in the OD are part of Charleston presentation. The flappers were flappers because of the flappng arms in this 1920's era-defining dance) In the free, I don't think her arms are particularly stiff.

The callers are being stricter this season on levels in step, wanting the edges extremely clear-this was a D&W problem in the OD and the midline, because in fast & furious music with quick steps, it's much harder to get the levels.

I liked F&S's program better than I have before, particularly 2 of the lifts. However, they really should restructure that first lift-Massimo can't hold her up on one foot, and he has had trouble with that lift in all 3 outings. And they're another couple having a hard time getting levels on the dance spin.

On DomShabs: Maxim keeps saying in interviews that he's getting stronger, but I'm afraid I don't see it at all. I hope he'll skip Russian nationals and rest & recuperate. This medal should surely keep them on the Russian team for Euros even in they skip RN. I like their costumes and look better this time.

Like everyone else, I so missed seeing K&N and B&A perform here, especially in the FD.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

His comment insinuates, that every single Russian team since Bestmianina and Bukin are cheap knock-offs. And that is not at all fair. There have been great Russian dancers ever since. As with N/K, they may be ''horrible'' in your opinion, but they deserved the OGM.