David Wilson's Choreography | Golden Skate

David Wilson's Choreography

I've been Googling and looking up the links on this guy but, at least from what I've found, it's all been which programs Wilson has choreographed but nothing about his background.

Anybody know what the deal is with this guy? IMO, he's been doing the most innovative and exciting choreography for singles skaters in decades. It seems to me he has both a skating and a dance background, as in training in "modern" dance choreography, such as that taught at Julliard or one of the better university dance programs.

Plus he has that most unique element, deep understanding of what makes movement sections and choreography as a whole work, on the ice or on the floor. BTW, I got my BFA in modern dance with someone who was getting her MFA in it at the same university who has choreographed on groups of skaters as well as singles. She was lousy as a dance choreographer when we were in school and 30 years later she's doing the same junk on skaters except it's worse. I could certainly diss her a lot more if that were my point, but it's not. The thing is, here's a person with all the training and passion for working in new, innovative ways with figure skaters and what she, and other dancers I've seen choreograph on skaters, is worse than bad. So what does David Wilson have?

I'm trying to avoid the word talent because the effectiveness in any creative endeavor is due to passion and knowing the tricks. Sounds cynical, but it couldn't be further from that. You have a great passion for something so you want to show it at its best, hence you want to learn the tricks of how to do it exceptionally well. Being born with certain gifts that can be nurtured under the right circumstances are one thing--the old nature-nurture thing. But the idea of talent in the sense of being "born with it all"--I've seen it, but the ones with just talent usually give it up, whatever it is, because they lack the passion.

So how did and from whom did Wilson learn "the trick of it"?

But I digress: What is David Wilson's background? I know he's choreographed for Geoffrey Buttle, helped Sasha Cohen with "R&J," and choroegraphed on several skaters for Junior Worlds. So we know what he's doing. But where did he come from?

Also, what do people think of his choreography? Some love it and others seem to either be "ehh" or hate it. Comments? How does Wilson's choreography compare to Morozov's, Lori Nichol, Tarsova, LeeAnn Miller, and other choreographers for singles?

Rgirl

learnin'

Rinkside
The Dec. issue of IFS had an articall on Wilson. One thing that was said of him is his way of thiking is uneique.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I've been Googling and looking up the links on this guy but, at least from what I've found, it's all been which programs Wilson has choreographed but nothing about his background.

Anybody know what the deal is with this guy? IMO, he's been doing the most innovative and exciting choreography for singles skaters in decades. It seems to me he has both a skating and a dance background, as in training in "modern" dance choreography, such as that taught at Julliard or one of the better university dance programs.

Plus he has that most unique element, deep understanding of what makes movement sections and choreography as a whole work, on the ice or on the floor. BTW, I got my BFA in modern dance with someone who was getting her MFA in it at the same university who has choreographed on groups of skaters as well as singles. She was lousy as a dance choreographer when we were in school and 30 years later she's doing the same junk on skaters except it's worse. I could certainly diss her a lot more if that were my point, but it's not. The thing is, here's a person with all the training and passion for working in new, innovative ways with figure skaters and what she, and other dancers I've seen choreograph on skaters, is worse than bad. So what does David Wilson have?

I'm trying to avoid the word talent because the effectiveness in any creative endeavor is due to passion and knowing the tricks. Sounds cynical, but it couldn't be further from that. You have a great passion for something so you want to show it at its best, hence you want to learn the tricks of how to do it exceptionally well. Being born with certain gifts that can be nurtured under the right circumstances are one thing--the old nature-nurture thing. But the idea of talent in the sense of being "born with it all"--I've seen it, but the ones with just talent usually give it up, whatever it is, because they lack the passion.

So how did and from whom did Wilson learn "the trick of it"?

But I digress: What is David Wilson's background? I know he's choreographed for Geoffrey Buttle, helped Sasha Cohen with "R&J," and choroegraphed on several skaters for Junior Worlds. So we know what he's doing. But where did he come from?

Also, what do people think of his choreography? Some love it and others seem to either be "ehh" or hate it. Comments? How does Wilson's choreography compare to Morozov's, Lori Nichol, Tarsova, LeeAnn Miller, and other choreographers for singles?

Rgirl

There was a nice bit on the Skate Canada Gala featuring David Wilson working with one of his star skaters - Jeff Buttle. Although it does not give a lot of David Wilsons background it does show his style of choosing music and where he gets his ideas.

I love his choreography and find he really knows how to showcase skaters strengths. For example, he choreographed D&L's new ice dance program and they won Skate Canada for the first time in their career as a team. It's lovely and works well for them. He captured their romantic look and essence perfectly skating to the theme music from Somewhere in Time. It's gorgeous.

Jeff says he really enjoys working with David and that he (David) knows how to bring out his best features.

One of the key features to a good program is choice of music and David Wilson has a good ear for music. I think any skater or skaters working with David Wilson will fare well.

:)

passion

On the Ice
I loved the choreogragphy to Phaneuf's program last year. Very creative and the music absolutely suits her style and her body type.

I think a great choreographer knows how to bring out the strengths of the skater and that comes with experience no matter how brilliant he is. From my experience, the greatest choreographer in the country is not necessarily the best choreographer for every skater. The choreographer has to be able to understand the skater and the two have to be mentally in sync.