Davis + White will not compete in 2018 OG | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Davis + White will not compete in 2018 OG

olayolay

On the Ice
This is probably not a popular opinion (which has never stopped me before) but I wish Tessa and Scott had gone the same route. Yes there is an argument for the best team winning, but this is their 3rd Olympics and it's time to give someone else a chance. That plus the fact that I think their scores are inflated because of who they are. Time to move on to the next phase of their lives. I think Meryl and Charlie have handled themselves in such a sportsman like and professional manner. It's wise to finish your education, that's for sure. And I wonder if there will be a little White in the near future. Can you imagine how gorgeous a child of Tanith and Charlie would be? (okay, that's the grandmother in me speaking)

Wow, no one has ever expressed that opinion before.

:yawn:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Fabulous team and great people! They have a lot to be proud of! Thanks for the wonderful ride.

Ice dancing was the least favorite discipline I liked back in the day. Then I got caught up in Tanith's drama to become a US citizen
before the Olympics so she and Ben could compete. I started to follow more closely and was Wowed by Meryl and Charlie, Tessa and Scott,
Anna and Luca etc. I could not believe what I had been missing.

kresslia

Medalist
This is probably not a popular opinion (which has never stopped me before) but I wish Tessa and Scott had gone the same route. Yes there is an argument for the best team winning, but this is their 3rd Olympics and it's time to give someone else a chance. That plus the fact that I think their scores are inflated because of who they are. Time to move on to the next phase of their lives. I think Meryl and Charlie have handled themselves in such a sportsman like and professional manner. It's wise to finish your education, that's for sure. And I wonder if there will be a little White in the near future. Can you imagine how gorgeous a child of Tanith and Charlie would be? (okay, that's the grandmother in me speaking)
Why should we be denied the chance to witness one of the greatest couples to have ever took the ice in this discipline one final time at the Olympics, if they wish to participate? They are still young and have their entire lives ahead of them. If they want one more Olympic gold, and they deserve it, then why shouldn't they go for it? It only furthers their legacy, as well. Sounds like sour grapes, to me.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From the second link of the original post:

"Davis and White took up commentating, most recently at the U.S. Championships last month. White choreographed a program for one couple at nationals."

Did Meryl take up commentating? I don't remember anyone mentioning it?

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
From the second link of the original post:

"Davis and White took up commentating, most recently at the U.S. Championships last month. White choreographed a program for one couple at nationals."

Meryl did broadcast stuff but did not do actual play by play commentary. She did a facebook live recap style show with Ryan Bradley at the end of each day at Nationals and she did in the arena stuff with that Rusty guy.

Last edited:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
any reason why they haven't used the word "retirement" ? i dont really understand why they keep teasing people with that... just say you retired. none of this vague leaving the door half open. if they wanted to return they can just say "we came out of retirement" not too hard...

is that word above them or something? are they trying to be really cool and not use it because that's a word everyone else uses?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Meryl did broadcast stuff but did not do actual play by play commentary. She did a facebook live recap style show with Ryan Bradley at the end of each day at Nationals and she did in the arena stuff with that Rusty guy.

Thank you. I guess it's the play-by-play people who get the most mention and criticism on these boards.

noskates

Record Breaker
Why should we be denied the chance to witness one of the greatest couples to have ever took the ice in this discipline one final time at the Olympics, if they wish to participate? They are still young and have their entire lives ahead of them. If they want one more Olympic gold, and they deserve it, then why shouldn't they go for it? It only furthers their legacy, as well. Sounds like sour grapes, to me.

No sour grapes! Why would there be? And there's always YouTube!!!

all that

Final Flight

Charlie White expressed it best in his commentary on V/M's 4cc SD: V/M are ice dancers, and you can tell that they love what they do -- that's why they have been able to return and score the way they do. He also said that they have earned everything they have received, as he knew better than anyone having once competed against them directly. You should take a listen to it once time.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
and i love how many people thought meryl and charlie would return due to the rivalry, and yet they one-upped them by pretty much saying "oh no we're actually very successful post olympic gold and are actually satisfied with out lives, we dont need to return for some amateur medal unlike OTHER teams who already won btw. guess they dont feel like their win was validated since it was on home ice. teehee"

love it.

Johnm2786

Spectator
I was only interested in ice dancing because of D/W vs V/M. So this is very sad for me. Now I just hope Chen vs Hanyu heats up on the men side or the Winter Olympics will be a boring event.

all that

Final Flight
and i love how many people thought meryl and charlie would return due to the rivalry, and yet they one-upped them by pretty much saying "oh no we're actually very successful post olympic gold and are actually satisfied with out lives, we dont need to return for some amateur medal unlike OTHER teams who already won btw. guess they dont feel like their win was validated since it was on home ice. teehee"

love it.

That's some fanfic you're writing there.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

love it.

I have an idea, why don't you tweet this theory to Charlie. he's taken to responding to a lot of things on twitter, I feel like he'd get a good laugh out of it. :palmf:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

love it.

I have an idea, why don't you tweet this theory to Charlie. he's taken to responding to a lot of things on twitter, I feel like he'd get a good laugh out of it. :palmf:

As someone who admires both V/M and D/W, I think Charlie would find that theory to be lame and non-funny.
He is far too mature to have such immature thoughts.

Meryl and Charlie made the right decision for themselves. Good for them :cool:.

Tessa and Scott made the right decision for themselves. Good for them :cool:.

Why must anyone's decision be perceived as one-upping anyone else's? :dev2:

... "Davis and White took up commentating, most recently at the U.S. Championships last month. White choreographed a program for one couple at nationals."

Meryl was a commentator for Skate Radio at 2016 Nats, but not 2017.

I don't remember one way or the other re 2015 Nats.

I think Lysacek had good intentions but he was too injured.

:agree:

SkaterX

On the Ice
Did anyone seriously think they would be at the 2018 olympics? They haven't trained for the longest time, it would be completely unrealistic.

Big Deal

Final Flight
This announcement is very much a self-advertising business announcement and too much Walt Disney ....
What about Plushenko, I haven't heard about him pending the possibility to come back for the team event (killing the carrier of his fellow Russian competitor like he selfishly did in Sochi, when even I knew well before the competition he will NOT compete in the individual event)... :) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A little tiny part of me just hoped that they'd come back to make sure that Tessa and Scott don't get too complacent after winning everything this season ;). And with the general turn towards modern and romantic programs (which I do enjoy), I do miss D/W epic classical FDs.

I don't think V and M have dominated - at the start they looked rather shakey remember. Besides there is p and c and Didier I mean p/c lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This announcement is very much a self-advertising business announcement and too much Walt Disney ....
What about Plushenko, I haven't heard about him pending the possibility to come back for the team event (killing the carrier of his fellow Russian competitor like he selfishly did in Sochi, when even I knew well before the competition he will NOT compete in the individual event)... :) ?

Well yes, you are right there is some pr value to this announcement and the way they acted = let's be truthful. Michelle Kwan was truly one of the queens of pr. As for Plushy it is a whole new world. his quad toe isn't enough anymore. People think Chan is passe well Plushy is neanderthal - but still iconic :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As someone who admires both V/M and D/W, I think Charlie would find that theory to be lame and non-funny.
He is far too mature to have such immature thoughts.

Meryl and Charlie made the right decision for themselves. Good for them :cool:.

Tessa and Scott made the right decision for themselves. Good for them :cool:.

Why must anyone's decision be perceived as one-upping anyone else's? :dev2:

Meryl was a commentator for Skate Radio at 2016 Nats, but not 2017.

I don't remember one way or the other re 2015 Nats.

:agree:

I disagree. He knew his injuries were too much and he knew technically he was in trouble and he knew artistically he was not up there. It too was PR; just like Sasha's return - she knew; she waited too long and injuries plus well lack of confidence from being out too long. There are a lot of fans of various skaters so it is hard when we have that bias to accept that a lot know they can't or won't really return.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My friend texted me.She saw a couple of skaters who shall be nameless but they were American ice dance medallists at nats and they were very happy let's just say. I guess they realized their olympic spot is saved now.