Diet and Exercise Tips | Golden Skate

Diet and Exercise Tips

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello y'all ;)

Just wondering who out there pays attention to diet and fitness. I thought we could share some tips, successes, failures, recipes, etc when it comes to diet and exercise.

I'm very very active and excercise on average at least two hours a day whether it be sporting activities or just working out and on a good day like today it can be upwards of 6 hours. Ill get more specific if anyone is interested but IMO what you eat is the most important factor so I'm going to move right to that and this is my basic day. Keep in mind I try to eat Vegetarian at least three days a week if possible.

Breakfast (I select one option)
Protein Shake with skim milk
Protein Meal replacement Bar with glass of skim milk
Small Bowl of Grape Nuts with skim milk

EVERYDAY: 12-20 oz coffee no sugar but skim milk added

Lunch
Carrots-Strawberrys-Blueberrys- Veggie Chips all mixed together(large Container)
*Sometimes I'll eat a fancy (expensive) peanut butter sandwich too but not always
If I didn't protein Shake for breakfast I'll often have it for lunch with veggies and fruit

Snack (only one)
Fiber Bar
Nuts with M&Ms
Apple
Pita and Humas

Dinner Options
Veggie Tacos (beans, corn, Salsa, lettuce, jalapeño)
Veggie Pastas
Chicken Spaghetti with hot peppers
Deli Ham or Pastroami sandwich w/Veggie Chips and carrots
Grilled Cheese with Tomato, Salsa, and Jalapeño
Soup and Salad w/veggies

I always start the day with a glass of water upon waking up and when I need to shed s few pounds I'll drink a lot of water throughout the day. A lot!!! I find this helps me feel less hungry too.

Any suggestions that help maintain a healthy lifestyle or is there anything in my list that needs tweaked? What have you had success with when trying to shed a few pounds or find a healthy source of energy?

Here is one that I'm wondering if anyone with sinus issues can relate to. I like eating spicy food when I feel sinus pressure building or even just chopping an onion. I can't tell you how many times this has helped me avoid medication like Claritin. I've blabbed enough for now. Anyone care to join in the discussion?

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are a few rules I follow when I want to drop 5-10 pounds to slim up.

1) Never eat after 7pm
2) Avoid Red Meat
3) protein shakes and Fruit Smoothies with a salad
4) eat healthy snacks all day and reduce meals (I heard this increases metabolism)
5) beans and corn for dinner
6) Sweat for at least an hour a day

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Here is one that I'm wondering if anyone with sinus issues can relate to. I like eating spicy food when I feel sinus pressure building or even just chopping an onion. I can't tell you how many times this has helped me avoid medication like Claritin. I've blabbed enough for now. Anyone care to join in the discussion?
I had serious sinus issues in the past, I spent a couple of weeks of my childhood in hospital because of it, so I know that dull pain. My issues got a lot better after my whey protein allergy was diagonosed. I did drink lots of milk and sweet whey. But of course no one knows wether there is really a relation between those two issues, but I know that sufferers from asthma should also avoid milk because it increases mucus (hard cheese f.e. isn't a problem).
I know that avoiding milk is hard, the alternatives are definitely not that tasty.
A nasal douche is a great thing if you have sinus issues, very relieving. And in Europe you can buy capsules containing Cineol (a eucalyptus oil) that have always worked very well for me.

So I drink a vegan protein shake (without soy) after every workout. I eat oats (with water) with nuts and fruits or whole-grain bread with cheese and vegetables for breakfast. I try to cook healthy (good fats) and when I want to slim down a little I avoid sugar and processed foods and I brush my teeth immediatly after dinner. I like to snack fruits and nuts and I really like white and green tea. Nuts contain a lot of fat but I never really gain weight when I eat nuts, I think they're only problematic if you combine them with sugar.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Interesting!! Definitely plan to try veggie/fruit chips!! Sinus is an issue fall, midwinter, early spring so will try the spicy food / chopping onion suggestions... It gets so bad sometimes feels like my head is going to explode!!! Awful... One very serious sinus a few years ago had me on Amoxicillin for a long while.. not fun.

I am allergic to a host of foods, peanuts/ legumes some nuts (throat closes, hives...). My parents had a rough time with me as an infant/toddler; mom said I loved to eat but projectile vomited everything she gave me to the point they feared I would fail to thrive. So, she and the doc scaled my intake back to sugar water ( to this day I crave refined sweets and must use discipline. Now I avoid refined sugar.) By adding foods one at a time they determined what I could keep down that was good for me and I began to grow. Obviously all this took place before allergy testing became the norm. I suffered severe eczema in childhood which lessened over time and disappeared in my teens. We (family & I) were certain this was diet related.
So, I learned early
1). Food is Life
2) To live well one must take responsibility for health's sake
3). To cook and know the kitchen
4). Manage food prep efficiently and prepare meals ahead to accommodate a hectic lifestyle

As for excercise, I work out 3x per week, cardio then weights mostly for balance and strength and move constantly every day doing yard work, renovating my 100+ year old bungalow, and animal care. 7 cats and 3 dogs require lots of care/feeding; the dogs and I do agility for fun and long hikes, plus I help out my sister with her 4 horses, training/maintenance (read mucking out stalls; old joke between us: we would rather muck out a horse stall than clean a cat litter box any day!) I ride with sis on occasion but to me it is like sitting on a moving building. She is the serious rider and her enthusiasm is infectious.
So far everything works and Life is Good!!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was told years ago in a class that everytime we put on weight, a layer of fat cells goes on our heart and these cant be taken off, even if we loose weight. I have no idea if thats true but I have found if I catch my weight increasing more than
three or four lbs, its time to act. Normally I stay at 159-164 lbs for my 6 ft 2 frame, and I eat anything I want on the see-food diet cause I walk up to 10 miles a day working on my property. But if I am sick like I was for three weeks, the old weight started to go up, and I catch things right away.

Breakfast.
whole grain cereal, 1 percent milk, with raisons and blue berries.
Orange juice, green tea with a bit of 100 percent real fruit juice for sweetener
Now it gets tricky. I have to cut back on the huge amount of coffee sweetener creams I add to my esspresso...

Lunch. a small penut butter sandwhitch with real fruit jam. "Smuckers" (what else?) real fruit approcote is good.
a few whole grain chips.
Green tea.

Dinner. Real lettuce and spinich salad, with tomatos, easy on the dressing.
chicken in some form with very little fat. Maybe Portugese Kale soup with low fat turkey sausage.
Sauteed kale with viegar is good. Cooked brocoli with some flavoring.
A small side dish of something decatent....sour cream potatoes maybe.
Beer. Real mirco brewed beer.

We eat very little beef, lots of turkey and chicken, some fish. NO soda pop. Ever. Green tea for me flavored with 100 percent juice.
Vow to walk more. Thats easier to do when you retire....working at a desk is death.
My wife runs to keep in shape for her sport of dog agility, but my body cant take that and I prefer to walk anyway.
The smartest thing anyone ever said to me to help me keep my weight down is, " Keep the activity up. That will raise your metabolic rate, even at rest...even while you sleep...."

By the way, when I am on the road, I eat terribly. Cheese burgers, fries, big ommelettes...Alice Springs Chicken at the Outback...death on a stick...but I dont seem to put on much weight except for
figure skating competitions, where you eat junk food, and sit in a seat for 12 hours a day. But I find the weight comes off easily if I am active when I get home.... 2-6 hours a day of walking, pushing a wheel barrow,
sawing up trees, etc. Thats the key...raising the metabolic rate. And yes, it helps to have dogs!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fake! NOBODY does dog agility for fun! ;) My wife is convinced that it is her religion! I can attest to that....she actually comes home once in awhile, though...:laugh:

:biggrin: :rofl:perhaps "agility" is the wrong word (tho truthfully I don'T know what else to call it!) It is not a challenging professional course... just a few obstacles set up near the house where my rescue dogs run jump for exercise. To seasoned agility competitors it would be laughable really but to us joy of movement is the point. The black lab is well used to the small course loves it, the wired Chihuahua overshootS (are we done? pant pant what? Go again? Really? Pant pant which way?) and the beagle drops in the middle to take a snooze .. unless a squirrel appears... then he is off and running. That they are happy healthy is what matters....

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
:biggrin: :rofl:perhaps "agility" is the wrong word (tho truthfully I don'T know what else to call it!) It is not a challenging professional course... just a few obstacles set up near the house where my rescue dogs run jump for exercise. To seasoned agility competitors it would be laughable really but to us joy of movement is the point. The black lab is well used to the small course loves it, the wired Chihuahua overshootS (are we done? pant pant what? Go again? Really? Pant pant which way?) and the beagle drops in the middle to take a snooze .. unless a squirrel appears... then he is off and running. That they are happy healthy is what matters....

I think that is great! :) Just having fun with the dogs....that is what I would do. Unfortunately, there has been an explosion of mostly women (who after all seem to have the patience to do dog training) who feel addicted to the actual sport, which is time consuming, and takes cubic dollars to do seriously. Just one of the associations, Nadac, provides 100 trials to attend in the next three months in the US. And there are 6 associations. Well, my wife can afford it and it keeps her in shape and out of the bars, I guess.
Me? I am non competitive...I would rather watch figure skating and spoil the dogs. Now lets talk about obeidience, Rally, and tracking....

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think that is great! :) Just having fun with the dogs....that is what I would do. Unfortunately, there has been an explosion of mostly women (who after all seem to have the patience to do dog training) who feel addicted to the actual sport, which is time consuming, and takes cubic dollars to do seriously. Just one of the associations, Nadac, provides 100 trials to attend in the next three months in the US. And there are 6 associations. Well, my wife can afford it and it keeps her in shape and out of the bars, I guess.
Me? I am non competitive...I would rather watch figure skating and spoil the dogs. Now lets talk about obeidience, Rally, and tracking....

Nope! No interest in the high end dog agility comps... ? Obedience? What is that? :confused2: :scratch2: ;)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I've been really really on it lately and am actually under my original target weight :yay:

I have to say the key for me has been starting the morning with holding yoga poses and doing breathing exercises. I think losening up before starting the day, regardless of my agenda, helps to increase how I carry my posture. Carrying a good posture throughout the day not only burns a small amount of calories but helps thin out the bulk in the mid section. Speaking of that....I've made it a habit several times a day to stop....suck in my gut and hold it a few seconds then push it out as far as possible in sets of twenty. I do this probably 20 times a day and my abs are always a bit sore but it's made a huge improvement on that area.

Eat well, Breath well and stay active!

I do have a question....I've been consuming lots of coffee 3-4 cups spread throughout the day. That and lots of water are pretty much all I've been consuming. Has anyone had issues with caffeine and exercises? FTR: I only drink black coffee.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Interesting thread.
I usually eat unhealthy foods and I'm not too active unfortunately, but the older I am the more I realize how important it is to eat well and to be more active. Shortly before I became 30, I realized that something must be changed (it was a bit panic reaction:palmf:), so I started to go swimming regularly (2 a week) and do yoga which I love (unfortunately I don't do it every day but once or twice a week at home or at a yoga centre). Though it is not easy to maintain these activities on a regular basis, especially in the winter.

I don't eat much, never really did, mainly since I started to wear a brace for my scoliosis (ca aged 11) which made me feel not hungry. Plus I became disciplined not to put on much weight because if I had put on, then I wouldn't have fitted into my brace which was specially made for me. My weight remained ca 110lbs since then, with an exception of two periods, when I was a veggie for almost two years (my weight dropped to 100lbs which was really too low), and when I moved abroad and ate a lot of yummy foods, then it went up to 120lbs.

In the last couple of years I try to eat more in the mornings, for example I eat one piece of this salty cake called pogi with an espresso, then for lunch a little bowl of rice/potato with very little meat/veggies or rarely fish (I love fishes, but they are not common in my country). On other days I choose pasta, or a rich soup, like goulash.
On the afternoon I eat a fruit, like an apple/banana/orange/kiwi etc., or a small bar of chocolate -I have a terribly sweet tooth...- Then when I got home I try not to eat after 8.p.m.
I drank a lot more coffee earlier than I do lately - one in the morning is usually enough, if not, then I drink one in the afternoon too. I never drink flavoured coffees or big sized ones which are popular in big franchises, only espressos (1ml or less). I drink tap water, which is very clean in the place where I live, plus I don't have to buy plastic bottles which is good for the environment as well :thumbsup:
I love drinking tea, especially in the winter!

I once read an article with Katia Gordeeva who shared her tips of staying healthy. She said a couple of simple but very good 'rules' she follows, like:
-eat 5x a day
-always eat small portions
-eat a lot of fruits/vegetables
-drink a lot water
-never eat after 6.pm (I think she said 6, though I'm not too sure if it was 6 or 7).
:)

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
So I've been really really on it lately and am actually under my original target weight :yay:

I have to say the key for me has been starting the morning with holding yoga poses and doing breathing exercises. I think losening up before starting the day, regardless of my agenda, helps to increase how I carry my posture. Carrying a good posture throughout the day not only burns a small amount of calories but helps thin out the bulk in the mid section. Speaking of that....I've made it a habit several times a day to stop....suck in my gut and hold it a few seconds then push it out as far as possible in sets of twenty. I do this probably 20 times a day and my abs are always a bit sore but it's made a huge improvement on that area.

Eat well, Breath well and stay active!

I do have a question....I've been consuming lots of coffee 3-4 cups spread throughout the day. That and lots of water are pretty much all I've been consuming. Has anyone had issues with caffeine and exercises? FTR: I only drink black coffee.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

According to latest research, there appears to be distinct health benefits from coffee consumption, even beyond just the morning cup of Joe. This article outlines benefits that research has confirmed or is still investigating.. but too much caffeine is still not advised and avoiding lots of additives which can affect weight is a good thing... so it sounds as if you are doing well in the consumption department, as long as you don't drink more than your usual intake. Trouble is, coffee is everywhere.. even most workplaces.
I take my morning coffee the Spanish way... half milk and half coffee.. (since I am not allergic to dairy in moderate amounts) for the calcium & bone strength, then coffee again IF I go out for lunch or dinner, (often enough) and never decaffinated., even late pm, with no loss of sleep. I think it is one of life's great pleasures..

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Interesting thread.
I usually eat unhealthy foods and I'm not too active unfortunately, but the older I am the more I realize how important it is to eat well and to be more active. Shortly before I became 30, I realized that something must be changed (it was a bit panic reaction:palmf:), so I started to go swimming regularly (2 a week) and do yoga which I love (unfortunately I don't do it every day but once or twice a week at home or at a yoga centre). Though it is not easy to maintain these activities on a regular basis, especially in the winter.

I don't eat much, never really did, mainly since I started to wear a brace for my scoliosis (ca aged 11) which made me feel not hungry. Plus I became disciplined not to put on much weight because if I had put on, then I wouldn't have fitted into my brace which was specially made for me. My weight remained ca 110lbs since then, with an exception of two periods, when I was a veggie for almost two years (my weight dropped to 100lbs which was really too low), and when I moved abroad and ate a lot of yummy foods, then it went up to 120lbs.

In the last couple of years I try to eat more in the mornings, for example I eat one piece of this salty cake called pogi with an espresso, then for lunch a little bowl of rice/potato with very little meat/veggies or rarely fish (I love fishes, but they are not common in my country). On other days I choose pasta, or a rich soup, like goulash.
On the afternoon I eat a fruit, like an apple/banana/orange/kiwi etc., or a small bar of chocolate -I have a terribly sweet tooth...- Then when I got home I try not to eat after 8.p.m.
I drank a lot more coffee earlier than I do lately - one in the morning is usually enough, if not, then I drink one in the afternoon too. I never drink flavoured coffees or big sized ones which are popular in big franchises, only espressos (1ml or less). I drink tap water, which is very clean in the place where I live, plus I don't have to buy plastic bottles which is good for the environment as well :thumbsup:
I love drinking tea, especially in the winter!

I once read an article with Katia Gordeeva who shared her tips of staying healthy. She said a couple of simple but very good 'rules' she follows, like:
-eat 5x a day
-always eat small portions
-eat a lot of fruits/vegetables
-drink a lot water
-never eat after 6.pm (I think she said 6, though I'm not too sure if it was 6 or 7).
:)

I like Gordeeva's suggestions very much and do something similar myself... lots of fruits and veggjes, meat in very small amounts, if at all, usually mixed in a huge salad, stir fry, or home made veggie soup.
I have fruit all day long which helps avoid baked sweets. Indulgence is usually confined to snacks of nuts with dried fruit and small amounts of deep dark chocolate (the darker the better) mixed with nuts.
A restaurant where I live is known for its delectable pecan pie which I love with strong coffee, an occasional treat.
Water quality is very important... my brother-in-law is a hydrologist (a geologist who specializes in monitoring water quality, conservation, clean-up in wetlands, reservoirs and watershed from rivers, lakes etc). You are indeed lucky to live in an area that has clean drinking water.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Sam-Skwantch; [B said:
Any suggestions that help maintain a healthy lifestyle or is there anything in my list that needs tweaked? What have you had success with when trying to shed a few pounds or find a healthy source of energy? [/B]

Quaker oatmeal with blueberries/bananas. Boil the oatmeal in water. I don't like adding milk because I just don't like milk. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of organic maple syrup, or add cinnamon. Oatmeal makes me less hungry and helps with daily digestion.

Eat pickled foods. My husband and I make our own pickled cabbage. We add coriander seeds to it. The pickled cabbage contains probiotics, good for your digestive tract.

Eat a strict diet of broccoli and chicken breast (or chicken without the fat) daily if you want to stay lean.

Stir fry ground turkey with garlic, tomatoes, cabbage; add salt, some teriyaki sauce, cayenne pepper, black pepper, some sugar, and lime; garnish with a lot of green onions and cilantro (fold them into the dish). Wash some celery pieces and dip the celery in the dish.

Eat a banana after you exercise

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sam-Skwantch - thank you for this thread!

I've started my 'healthy' journey a year ago, mainly due to health reasons, but also I wanted to battle my forever overweight.

Unfortunately, it appeared that I have thyroid and hormonal problems which really make it difficult to loose weight, so I've had to entirely modify my way of eating, my activity and add lots of medication/supplements to help myself. Now the aim is to steadily loose weight (even very slowly), cut off excessive fat, eat healthy and live healthy. I am fully aware now that it won't be so easy, bearing my health issues, but I had to change something after last year's fiasco with my previous diet and activity (too little calories, too much diary, too much workouts). Since October last year I had a heavy crisis about this healthy lifestyle concept for myself, but then my health got worse, I think to remind me that I need this, not only for looking good, but mostly - for feeling good daily, for proper functioning.

Now, I'm eating 3 times a day, sometimes additionally including veggie snack between breakfast and supper (raw, chopped carrots, leek, cucumber), I was advised by my dietician to pay attention to eat at regular daytimes.
I am not eating diary at all, from grains - not eating anything made from wheat, rye, barley, spelt, only oat, buckwheat, millet for me.
Only healthy fats - coconut oil and olive, additionally fat from nuts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, coconut shrims.
Lots, lots of veggies in every meal, potatoes - 2/3 times a week, baked with seasoning, fruits - only for last meal (or after workout).
Proteins - from eggs, fish, meat (I'm eating turkey or chicken).
Addicted to veggie juices, pickled foods (cabbage, pepper, cucumber) and herb tea - pickled food salad is usually part of my supper.
Breakfast - only proteins and fat, usually lettuce mix with other veggies (tomatoes, peppers, red onion, radish, broccoli), eggs, some fish (tuna or salmon), pumpkin seeds and olive oil, adding lots of herbs and seasoning.
Supper - from carbs - millet, buckwheat with veggies (zucchini, red pepper, onion, mushrooms) and homemade tomato sauce or red potatoes baked with seasoning, proteins - baked fish or meat, additionally pickled foods salad, streamed broccoli/other green veggies.
Last meal - oatmeal with banana or apple/pear, chopped and mixed with cinnamon, coconut shrims, some nuts, few raisins, additionally egg with veggies.

LOTS of mineral water and herbs tea, I also like red, green and white teas. I drink 1 coffee per day, no sugar, no milk.

I'm exercising 4 times a week - 1 day is HIIT type of workout, 3 days are: one all-around workout, one for legs, one for upper body. I've been told not to force myself too much, not to have too hard workouts, because it will mess with my health and it is a drastic change comparing my activity from last year - 5 times a week, mainly cardio workouts. Besides of that - I'm walking a lot, because I simply like it, it helps me clear my mind of some sort I'd say.

I try to think positive about this whole new diet, activity plan, all these supplements, sometimes it's hard, because I'm not very confident person and I often get frustrated about myself, my weaknesses, the fact that I have health problems, that I have to limit myself a lot in terms of food, eating. But I try my best to see that I'm starting to feel better physically and focus on that.

I have no big healthy tips, but the most important things I've learned are: not eating too much (if you're already full, don't eat more), use natural ingredients as much as you can, constantly work on straightening your posture and listen to your body - pay attention on its reaction to what you're eating, how you're exercising, how you're taking care of it.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I eat 5 times a day and use low-fat products:

8 am breakfast (cafe au lait, 1 piece of toast wich a piece of cheese and porridge with some bush blue berries and milk = without fat)
11 am luncheon = warm food with fresh vegetables
2 pm afternoon-tea with a piece of toast, 3 saltless rice cakes, 2 tiny pieces of dark schokolade
5 pm evening snack
9 pm night snack

I drink tap water enough = 1 liter per day. For bread I´m using full-corn products, altogether 6 pieces per day.

By eating like above for about a few weeks I start losing weight 100 g per day and I´m not suffering from hunger at all. After Christmas one has to be a bit strict, LOL.

For luncheon I warm up some self-made food in one meal portion from freezer (chicken or turkey or various fish plus a potato or some spaghetti or pasta (all full-corn). Those I weigh, even the potato. There is no possibility of eating too much in a meal as there is not more, LOL. Afterwards I always drink a glass of tap water.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Learned something interesting about my diet. After coming back from nats, where I usually pack on a couple too many lbs, I attended functions where it was too easy to over eat and indulge in self medication. And the weather meant daily working and walking outside was difficult not to mention the need to do taxes and other catch up paperwork duties. Suddenly I was 169 instead of 159-164. I cant ever remember actually BEING 169. (Darned Red Lobster and their butter rolls). But after two days of eating a healthy breakfast of whole grains and fruit (which I always do at home and never do on the road) , a light lunch, and a medium dinner, along with fast walking over the frozen snow for three miles a day and getting off my tail assembly, I am down to 165 and dropping. I think I must have picked parents with the right genes....my brother says, and I agree, I look like our mother's father. Gramps, and Mom, never had any weight issues. Nor did many in mom's side of the family. My brother looks like our dad, and has to be very careful or he packs on the pounds, just like our father did.
The lesson for me? Genes matter, but there is no substitute for getting on the bathroom scale each day and adjusting food intake and exercise levels...

stella luna

Final Flight
Protein shakes and bars fall under the category of prepared foods, and it's really a lot better if you cook your own meals. Though I'm not really super healthy, I have a few good habits.

Do you ever eat eggs? They are a great source of protein. For breakfast I will do a scramble with one whole egg and one egg white. I add chopped up fresh veggies like green pepper, mushroom and yellow squash, cook them with the egg in a pan with spray butter or olive oil, and melt a piece of cheese on top of the mixture when it's done. If you are really hungry you can add a piece of wheat toast or an English muffin. You can add cut-up ham to the egg, too. You can chop the veggies the night before.

Hello y'all ;)

Just wondering who out there pays attention to diet and fitness. I thought we could share some tips, successes, failures, recipes, etc when it comes to diet and exercise.

I'm very very active and excercise on average at least two hours a day whether it be sporting activities or just working out and on a good day like today it can be upwards of 6 hours. Ill get more specific if anyone is interested but IMO what you eat is the most important factor so I'm going to move right to that and this is my basic day. Keep in mind I try to eat Vegetarian at least three days a week if possible.

Breakfast (I select one option)
Protein Shake with skim milk
Protein Meal replacement Bar with glass of skim milk
Small Bowl of Grape Nuts with skim milk

EVERYDAY: 12-20 oz coffee no sugar but skim milk added

Lunch
Carrots-Strawberrys-Blueberrys- Veggie Chips all mixed together(large Container)
*Sometimes I'll eat a fancy (expensive) peanut butter sandwich too but not always
If I didn't protein Shake for breakfast I'll often have it for lunch with veggies and fruit

Snack (only one)
Fiber Bar
Nuts with M&Ms
Apple
Pita and Humas

Dinner Options
Veggie Tacos (beans, corn, Salsa, lettuce, jalapeño)
Veggie Pastas
Chicken Spaghetti with hot peppers
Deli Ham or Pastroami sandwich w/Veggie Chips and carrots
Grilled Cheese with Tomato, Salsa, and Jalapeño
Soup and Salad w/veggies

I always start the day with a glass of water upon waking up and when I need to shed s few pounds I'll drink a lot of water throughout the day. A lot!!! I find this helps me feel less hungry too.

Any suggestions that help maintain a healthy lifestyle or is there anything in my list that needs tweaked? What have you had success with when trying to shed a few pounds or find a healthy source of energy?

Barb

Record Breaker
Sam-Skwantch - thank you for this thread!

I've started my 'healthy' journey a year ago, mainly due to health reasons, but also I wanted to battle my forever overweight.

Unfortunately, it appeared that I have thyroid and hormonal problems which really make it difficult to loose weight, so I've had to entirely modify my way of eating, my activity and add lots of medication/supplements to help myself. Now the aim is to steadily loose weight (even very slowly), cut off excessive fat, eat healthy and live healthy. I am fully aware now that it won't be so easy, bearing my health issues, but I had to change something after last year's fiasco with my previous diet and activity (too little calories, too much diary, too much workouts). Since October last year I had a heavy crisis about this healthy lifestyle concept for myself, but then my health got worse, I think to remind me that I need this, not only for looking good, but mostly - for feeling good daily, for proper functioning.

Now, I'm eating 3 times a day, sometimes additionally including veggie snack between breakfast and supper (raw, chopped carrots, leek, cucumber), I was advised by my dietician to pay attention to eat at regular daytimes.
I am not eating diary at all, from grains - not eating anything made from wheat, rye, barley, spelt, only oat, buckwheat, millet for me.
Only healthy fats - coconut oil and olive, additionally fat from nuts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, coconut shrims.
Lots, lots of veggies in every meal, potatoes - 2/3 times a week, baked with seasoning, fruits - only for last meal (or after workout).
Proteins - from eggs, fish, meat (I'm eating turkey or chicken).
Addicted to veggie juices, pickled foods (cabbage, pepper, cucumber) and herb tea - pickled food salad is usually part of my supper.
Breakfast - only proteins and fat, usually lettuce mix with other veggies (tomatoes, peppers, red onion, radish, broccoli), eggs, some fish (tuna or salmon), pumpkin seeds and olive oil, adding lots of herbs and seasoning.
Supper - from carbs - millet, buckwheat with veggies (zucchini, red pepper, onion, mushrooms) and homemade tomato sauce or red potatoes baked with seasoning, proteins - baked fish or meat, additionally pickled foods salad, streamed broccoli/other green veggies.
Last meal - oatmeal with banana or apple/pear, chopped and mixed with cinnamon, coconut shrims, some nuts, few raisins, additionally egg with veggies.

LOTS of mineral water and herbs tea, I also like red, green and white teas. I drink 1 coffee per day, no sugar, no milk.

I'm exercising 4 times a week - 1 day is HIIT type of workout, 3 days are: one all-around workout, one for legs, one for upper body. I've been told not to force myself too much, not to have too hard workouts, because it will mess with my health and it is a drastic change comparing my activity from last year - 5 times a week, mainly cardio workouts. Besides of that - I'm walking a lot, because I simply like it, it helps me clear my mind of some sort I'd say.

I try to think positive about this whole new diet, activity plan, all these supplements, sometimes it's hard, because I'm not very confident person and I often get frustrated about myself, my weaknesses, the fact that I have health problems, that I have to limit myself a lot in terms of food, eating. But I try my best to see that I'm starting to feel better physically and focus on that.

I have no big healthy tips, but the most important things I've learned are: not eating too much (if you're already full, don't eat more), use natural ingredients as much as you can, constantly work on straightening your posture and listen to your body - pay attention on its reaction to what you're eating, how you're exercising, how you're taking care of it.

good job :). Do you know how many calories are you eating?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
good job :). Do you know how many calories are you eating?

:thank:, it's about 1500 kcal per day, generally I am free to eat any green veggies not counting calories from them as they're taking more kcal to process them than they basically have. I know - it seems quite a lot for a person who want to reduce weight, but after last year when I had a lot less kcal and a lot more workout it destroyed my health, so I trusted my dietician and take small steps

Last edited: