Diet and Exercise Tips | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Diet and Exercise Tips

Barb

Record Breaker
:thank:, it's about 1500 kcal per day, generally I am free to eat any green veggies not counting calories from them as they're taking more kcal to process them than they basically have. I know - it seems quite a lot for a person who want to reduce weight, but after last year when I had a lot less kcal and a lot more workout it destroyed my health, so I trusted my dietician and take small steps

No, I don´t know you personally but I think 1500kcal is very well :yes:. No way you won´t lose weight with 1500kcal, unless you are count wrong, like this person that I know who says she is eating 800kcal/day and she weighs 135kg/297 pounds since 1 year ago :rolleye:, obviously she is counting wrong or lying to me. And I know people who eat healthy food but they don´t count calories and they end up eating the same or more calories than before, with no lost of weight at all :noshake:.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
No, I don´t know you personally but I think 1500kcal is very well :yes:. No way you won´t lose weight with 1500kcal, unless you are count wrong, like this person that I know who says she is eating 800kcal/day and she weighs 135kg/297 pounds since 1 year ago :rolleye:, obviously she is counting wrong or lying to me. And I know people who eat healthy food but they don´t count calories and they end up eating the same or more calories than before, with no lost of weight at all :noshake:.

at the beginning I was also very sceptical about my planned calorie intake (all this wrong thinking 'eat less, exercise more'...), but I really experienced a metabolism block being on low-calorie diet and exercising too much and too hard. I just had to trust my dietician, her lenghty explanations about my health issues vs my weight/appearance expectations. Now I understand that I have to eat properly to loose weight properly and for good, getting right, healthy habits in the process.

Sometimes though, on harder day, I just get frustarted because of my genes inherited (I know, insane) - both my sisters got my mum's family body built genes as they are slender and have no tendency to put on weight, me OTOH - father's family large built, 'potato' one as I often call it :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
so I trusted my dietician and take small steps

Small steps are good, in my opinion. The weight which goes down quickly, often comes back after a diet is over. Best is to change one´s whole way of eating totally and stay with it. And of course very rarely have some "temptations" at home.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
For health reasons, blood pressure and weight, I started a program January 10th. For two weeks no grains or fruit or sugar. Then the next week two fruits and one grain added back. I have an egg, low sodium vegetable juice and a slice of low sodium bread gor breakfast. Snack is fruit and plain yogurt or cottage cheese. Lunch is low sodium vegetable soup and a salad with a protein. My second snack is an ounce of cheese with a fruit or vegetable. Dinner is beans and vegetables. I drink herbal tea throughout the day. All vegetables are pn the low gylcemic index. I walk five miles a day now and I've lost 14 pounds as of Wednesday. My blood pressure is in the normal range most days now. This has been the most sustainable "diet" I have been on. I will slowly add in a starchy vegetable next week.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Wow! What an awesome thread, Sam! You know I love this stuff.

My diet is not special, and I have 0 problems with extra weight. Actually it's opposite, I find it hard to gain weight. Although lately my belly started to round up a bit due to seating (mostly) work, and because I basically dropped cardio and lower abs exercises. I eat roughly more than 2300-2500 calories per day, but I don't calculate them, so no exact number. I have basically no limitations in food, I can limitlessly eat sugar and chocolate, white bread, meat, rice, pasta, eggs and some other Russian food. I also drink one portion of powder gainer mixed with milk (around 300-400 calories) in my GYM days and one portion of protein shake (milk based) just before the sleep in these days. Also trying to eat more white meat than red meat, although I like red meat better.

I try to go to GYM 3 times per week, but lately only do one or two times at best because of busy work/family schedule and small shoulder injury. One day is for arms and chest, another is for back and base exercises and one more for legs and for what I would not be too lazy to do. No programm or anything, doing it just because I feel better after it. During summer (when the temperature rise above 10 C degrees at least) I also run around 4 km (10-12 laps, 400 meters each) couple times a week.

And my fave protein shake:
250-300 ml of milk (I like 2.5% fat milk)
1 banana
1 raw egg
100-150 gramms of cottage cheese (5% fat, higher is not recommended)
some nuts (I prefer walnuts)
I also add one small spoon of sugar (or sometime when I want chocolate flavour also 1 small spoon of cocoa).

P.S. Now my weight is around 70-71 kg with 176 cm height. I plan to add up to 2 kg before the next summer and drop that belly fat (if my schedule and lazyness will allow it).

andromache

Record Breaker
I've always had fairly bad eating habits (I love wine, chocolate, anything deep-fried) but I lost a bunch of weight in grad school due to stress, have gained it all back, and I'd like to lose a bit of weight because I liked being thin so much! (I'm about average weight for an American lady in her early twenties of my height).

I've started incorporating way more fruits and veggies into my diet, cooking more, but I've still got a weakness for my bad-for-me foods and deprivation makes me miserable. This is compounded by how much the boyfriend and I like to eat out! We genuinely like good food and enjoying it together with a few drinks and really good conversations in a nice atmosphere, but that's no good for our waistlines. Still, I'm happy I have improved, at least. One step at a time?

I joined a hot vinyasa yoga studio, where I practice 5-6 times a week. I've definitely gotten stronger and more flexible, but it hasn't helped me lose weight. I'm hoping that's because I've gained a bit of muscle??

Now that the weather is brightening some, I'm trying to get into running. But man, I really hate running. Tips for making myself get out there?

ETA: I don't count calories because it makes me crazy and obsessive. I was anorexic in high school, so paying very close attention to numbers and whatnot in regards to food/weight tends to encourage former bad habits that I am better off without.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I envy people who can gain a few pounds as easily as some of you mentioned. :laugh: but you might say the same about me.

Because of my job and the work with kids, I have to be fit and healthy which is why I skip anything that is considered bad (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, medics of any kind including pain killers). I always eat self made food, which includes fish, cow meat (from a farmer I trust, but no pigs or chickens, because of antibiotics), vegetables and fruits each day, rice and potatoes, noodles, a lot of milk and yoghurt products, sometimes a self made chocolate pudding and cake with lots of cream and strawberries. Besides that, I drink iso drinks during sports, I even did at the BO, I always mix those myself with stuff that most athletes use (it's easy to get these things due my work).

I work out every day, but focus on different parts of my body then, due to the rehabilitation that is needed, so that I don´t work on the same area twice in a row. Said workout depends on the day, with the kids it´s usually a lot about stamina, legs, coordination - while if I only work on myself, it´s more about muscles in the upper body. We added yoga too and I dance frequently.

If I drop anything of that food chain for a single day, I lose 1-2 kg. After the Bavarian Open, I lost about 6 kg. :drama: When I was an active athlete, said food could be tripled and I still lost weight frequently :D

Living such a healthy life as I did, did not prevent me from having issues though... so it´s all relative I guess. :eek:hwell:

The best advice I can give to lose weight is "make food, yourselves", don´t buy these premade products from the supermarkets, no matter how much promises they make. Also remember that carbohydrates (noodles, sugar, coke, toast, potatoes), make you fat. They do so, as they block the fat burn process in your body. A big mistake of diets it, that people work out a lot, but while doing so, they take carbohydrates in form of bars, shakes, sugar in the coffee / juice, which raises the blood sugar and stops the burning process in the body... Most energy bars, are therefore not advisable, if you want to lose weight, but if you want to gain it. ;)

Also flakes, like those from the commercials with the tiger or monkey, they make you fat (which is why so many kids are fat these days)

If you work out, take protein shakes, or just drink water.

Further questions, let me know. ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tips for motivating me to run. New music. I love downloading a new album and going out and running with it playing. I focus on the music and just run with no restrictions. Sometimes I run 100yrds and then walk a bit. Sometimes I run three straight miles. I don't try to overdo running because it's my least favorite exercise but I try to do it at least once or twice a week when the weather is nice but I'm the least strict and consistent with it without a doubt. I will run and walk and do weird stretches though until I've listened to the whole album.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I've always had fairly bad eating habits (I love wine, chocolate, anything deep-fried) but I lost a bunch of weight in grad school due to stress, have gained it all back, and I'd like to lose a bit of weight because I liked being thin so much! (I'm about average weight for an American lady in her early twenties of my height).

I've started incorporating way more fruits and veggies into my diet, cooking more, but I've still got a weakness for my bad-for-me foods and deprivation makes me miserable. This is compounded by how much the boyfriend and I like to eat out! We genuinely like good food and enjoying it together with a few drinks and really good conversations in a nice atmosphere, but that's no good for our waistlines. Still, I'm happy I have improved, at least. One step at a time?

I joined a hot vinyasa yoga studio, where I practice 5-6 times a week. I've definitely gotten stronger and more flexible, but it hasn't helped me lose weight. I'm hoping that's because I've gained a bit of muscle??

Now that the weather is brightening some, I'm trying to get into running. But man, I really hate running. Tips for making myself get out there?

ETA: I don't count calories because it makes me crazy and obsessive. I was anorexic in high school, so paying very close attention to numbers and whatnot in regards to food/weight tends to encourage former bad habits that I am better off without.

great, honest post! And I can relate, believe me - same for me about counting calories obsessively or weighting myself, it just makes me agitated and feel bad. So I just carry on with diet and activity and observe myself. About running - from my experience about cardio, I honestly recommend HIIT types of workout or lots of quick, paced march I'm doing now. And yes - one step t a time is the best, at least that's my dietician opinion :laugh:. I went a long road to understand that this is the only right way to loose weight healthy for me, with my health problems. Carry on with good work!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm on a 452 day running streak (at least 1 mile a day since Nov. 15, 2015). I LOVE running. I ran until week 34 of my pregnancy and was able to resume running six weeks after my daughter was born in June 2015. This winter was hard to keep the streak going cause it snowed several times -- we've had snow on the ground for more than two months, but luckily I came equipped -- snowtrax (you putting them on your running shoes) and those ski masks were my best friend. Luckily, it's getting warmer--- I was so excited to run in running shorts and sunglasses on Sunday...

This year, I'm working on incorporating more strength training. I know it's good for my running, but it's just so hard, so a work in progress. Also working on eating habits. I did a Whole 30 -- basically eliminating everything except fruit, veggies and meat from my diet (so no dairy, legumes, sugar and grains)-- in January. I'm now in the "re-introduction" phase this month to see how my body responds well to the foods I eliminated. I'm also realizing that I don't always want or need sweets, even things I love, like ice cream. I do realize that I need carbs to run well, but I realize it's easy to use that as an excuse to overeat (leading to excessive weight gain), so I'm trying to eat just what I need.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker

Do it at a time, when others are running too. Early morning, after lunch or late and look for a park, with some green, animals. Put on some music or learn a new language, this will take some stress from your body. Don´t run each day though, run every second and at the others, just go for a walk. If your just starting out, I would advice to only run three times a week and to take it very easy. Your stamina will improve quickly, but muscles, joints, ligaments need longer and it is advisable to wait for them, else you risk injuries.

Set up a schedule which you keep, no skipping if it rains or you want to watch Oprah ;), as your body and mind needs to understand that this is what happens from now on.

Besides that, do never eat carbohydrates after any activities, as this will immediately ruin everything you worked so hard for. It´s best to take food with strong carbohydrates several hours before or after sports activities, unless you want to gain weight.

Muscles are always good, as they increase the amount of fat that you can burn. That being said, 10 pounds of muscles, always weight as much as 10 pounds of fat :slink:. The difference is the volume, as muscles have a higher density. That means, you will look thinner, even if pounds don´t drop. ;) The ratio is about 1:4.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Adding to the running tips....the Couch to 5k program is a great way to get started. Basically it's a mix of running and walking intervals. By the end of the program (which is usually about 9 weeks) you'll be able to run for at least 30 minutes straight.

There's different versions out there, but this link has resources: http://www.c25k.com/

Also, enter a race to keep you motivated, like a Color Run or something fun. And get your friends to do it with you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I honestly recommend HIIT types of workout or lots of quick, paced march I'm doing now.

I did a HIIT running workout. 15 minutes, but man!!!

60 min jog
2 minute run
60 min sprint/45 min jog (3X)
3 minute run
60 min spring/45 min jog (1X)
2 minute run.

Basically no walking, just running and sprinting. Good workout!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I did a HIIT running workout. 15 minutes, but man!!!

60 min jog
2 minute run
60 min sprint/45 min jog (3X)
3 minute run
60 min spring/45 min jog (1X)
2 minute run.

Basically no walking, just running and sprinting. Good workout!

In the Spokesman Review today they talked about the CDC guidelines for needed exercise for health.
75 minutes of vigorous exercise a week....or...especially for us seasoned citizens that need low impact workouts....
150 minutes a week moderate aerobic, like fast walking. At least 10 minutes at a stretch. This makes sense to me as I now do
two miles a day, going down and up a hill twice, in 30 minutes. During the summer, its easy to walk many miles working around the ranch but most of
that is non-aerobic. This time of year, walking the road beats slogging through the snow.....although both will get the heart rate up.

flowandline

Rinkside
Two things that I have found work for me.

I have found taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in liquid is helpful. It has cleared up some headaches I could feel coming on and can help with regularity. It has a very strong flavor, so I need to take it with something. I like it in unsweetened grapefruit juice best.

Another is I am trying to walk more and use my car less. I find I have less stress from sitting behind the wheel, getting frustrated with drivers with bad habits, and walking more to get places is a way to force myself to exercise. I also have started using public transportation more and walk to the train stations and avoid the buses where possible.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Two things that I have found work for me.

I have found taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in liquid is helpful. It has cleared up some headaches I could feel coming on and can help with regularity. It has a very strong flavor, so I need to take it with something. I like it in unsweetened grapefruit juice best.

Another is I am trying to walk more and use my car less. I find I have less stress from sitting behind the wheel, getting frustrated with drivers with bad habits, and walking more to get places is a way to force myself to exercise. I also have started using public transportation more and walk to the train stations and avoid the buses where possible.

I add a small amount of vinegar to the pot when making vegetable soup. Also wonder if it would work with pineapple juice which has a strong sweet flavor and might mask the taste of vinegar..
It also helps with arthritis, some say... In the 1920's/30's large animal veterinarians recommended adding vinegar to mash fed to arthritic cows as a "down home" remedy...

andromache

Record Breaker
There's nothing quite like learning you're going to be in a wedding party full of people from college who you haven't talked to in years to get motivated to get fit as heck.

flowandline

Rinkside
Also wonder if it would work with pineapple juice which has a strong sweet flavor and might mask the taste of vinegar..

The apple cider vinegar taste my still show up a little, depending on the amount added. I've tried it in like mixed V8 fruit and vegetable juices, apple juice, and even with lemon and ginger teas, but the taste is very noticeable in the teas. Some have also suggested adding sparkling water to it. Something else with zing might help mask the flavor.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The apple cider vinegar taste my still show up a little, depending on the amount added. I've tried it in like mixed V8 fruit and vegetable juices, apple juice, and even with lemon and ginger teas, but the taste is very noticeable in the teas. Some have also suggested adding sparkling water to it. Something else with zing might help mask the flavor.

The V8 juice sounds good actually but the tea not so much... vinegar is like a miracle substance IMHO.. I even clean with it.. throw it in laundry, use it everywhere to clean the bathroom, washing walls, floors (a bit in a gallon of water ..) great alternative to toxic bleach or ammonia. On the rare occasions when I use meat, I soak chicken in a bath of water and vingear to kill any bacteria prior to cooking it..
Good luck and keep us posted if you have further suggestions.

Last edited: