Diving Forward on a Camel Spin | Golden Skate

Diving Forward on a Camel Spin

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
Hey, everybody. I am trying to learn to do a Camel Spin and my biggest problem is that a lot of times, I can't get it going. When I start the spin, I dive forward and the spin comes to an abrupt halt. I don't know why it's happening. It typically happens before I can even get 1 revolution in. My thoughts are that maybe I"m rocking up to my toe or maybe my free leg is out too far to the side? It happens so fast, I can't tell what's going on to cause this. And if I don't know what's causing this, then I can't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
This is something best tackled in person by your coach, or at least with a video showing what you're doing. Typically, however, I see people who are new to the camel spin literally pushing onto the spinning leg and bending over to try to achieve the position, when what they should actually be doing is pushing into it on a very bent leg and then pushing both head and leg upwards, as if they're trying to get their head and foot to touch. Obviously that won't happen, but it's the feeling you should be aiming for. Try practicing off ice by assuming a lunge position and then pushing up strongly into a spiral from a bent knee. Don't drop your head. Really stretch yourself up into the position, making sure everything is trying to go upwards, although your foot is flat on the floor, arms out to the side to balance. See how long you can hold that position. It's helpful for strength in both camel and spirals general.

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
You need someone who can watch you, give advice. What does your coach say?
He says I need to make sure I'm pressing down on the ball of my foot. I feel like I am doing that but I guess there's times I might be rocking up to my toe pick. I may have another skater watch me to see if they can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for your help.

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
This is something best tackled in person by your coach, or at least with a video showing what you're doing. Typically, however, I see people who are new to the camel spin literally pushing onto the spinning leg and bending over to try to achieve the position, when what they should actually be doing is pushing into it on a very bent leg and then pushing both head and leg upwards, as if they're trying to get their head and foot to touch. Obviously that won't happen, but it's the feeling you should be aiming for. Try practicing off ice by assuming a lunge position and then pushing up strongly into a spiral from a bent knee. Don't drop your head. Really stretch yourself up into the position, making sure everything is trying to go upwards, although your foot is flat on the floor, arms out to the side to balance. See how long you can hold that position. It's helpful for strength in both camel and spirals general.
Wow, I'm doing exactly what you said I shouldn't be doing! I'm trying to lean my upper body down in order to get my free leg up higher because my flexibility is not that great! I bet the leaning down is sometimes causing me to rock up to my toe pick and makes the spin stop. I will try what you said and push head and leg upwards instead. I've already been practicing the stationary spiral position at home but will now focus on making sure my head stays up. Thank you, I'm looking forward to trying this.