Dmitri Aliev | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Dima, to me, one of the few skaters who epitomizes what figure skating is all about, and why it is called figure skating, not figure jumping (or aerial skating, or whatever). His performance today, even with a few errors, FIGURE SKATING at its finest. The splendour and the emotion he evoked through his performance deserved +5 GOE. ISU still has a long way to go to properly evaluate such precious, special qualities if you ask me.

Imov

Medalist
Anticipating his performance later. If I understood correctly Men's FS starts at 17:00 in Finland time right?

Alifyre

On the Ice
I was really impressed with Dima's free today, I literally whispered "wow" to myself at the opening because he was moving right on the music! Very beautiful and expressive stuff, it's too bad about the jump mistakes because I wanted to give him a medal for his performance ability.

Imov

Medalist
I hope his injury heals fast, plus I like his shirt in the FP.
It looks good on him.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has there been news that he is injured? The jumps just weren't there in this competition, and I've been wondering since Lombardia if he was injured. Speed and flow, musicality, beautiful lines -- he has it all. I really enjoy his skating.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dima isn't injured at the moment...he just lost about a week of training time due to a hard fall he had in practice.

Here is a nice Finnish article about his friendship with Roman Galay. Unfortunately, Google Translate is terrible with Finnish, but I guess we can get the idea.

https://www.skatingfinland.fi/ajankohtaista/onoff-ice/ystavyksista-tuli-treenikavereita/

Anton Shulepov also talks a bit about his friendship with Dima in this video (the main topic is his romance with Alena, but other skaters are discussed briefly). Dima is certainly a very popular young man, and for good reason :) A real ambassador for the sport.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dmitri has such beautiful upper body movement and connection with the music. He really draws me in watching both of his programs (though it would be nice to see him explore different, less introspective, styles in the future). Too bad the jumps weren’t there at Finlandia, but it’s early, and I predict that he’s going to have a great season.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Here is a nice Finnish article about his friendship with Roman Galay. Unfortunately, Google Translate is terrible with Finnish, but I guess we can get the idea. https://www.skatingfinland.fi/ajankohtaista/onoff-ice/ystavyksista-tuli-treenikavereita/

Just had to see how it worked out - I use GT a lot for Russian, Japanese and sometimes Spanish, but have to say it is particularly useless with Japanese (you can recognize the topic if you're lucky, but not what the text is really about!) :laugh: From Finnish to English it was not half bad. Here a slightly corrected version:

"In figure skating, athletes are already travelling the world at a young age. Camps and competitions create international friendships, and this happened also for Finnish Roman Galay and Russian Dmitri Aliev.

Both of them participated in a Junior Grand Prix competition in Slovenia, and two of them seemed to have things to talk about. The start of the friendship was helped by the fact that Roman was born in St. Petersburg and mastered the Russian language, but common ground was found also beyond the language. A friendship developed between the boys.

This friendship got a new dimension this fall, when Roman Galay, who had studied at Vierumäki [a well-known Finnish sports facility with schools etc.] in recent years, decided to go to St. Petersburg to train with coach Evgeni Rukavic. Dmitri Aliev, who comes originally from the Republic of Komi, trains in the same group.

- I have always admired Dmitri's skating style, and of course his skill level is quite different than mine. He is a good example for me in the group, says Roman Galay, now 20 years old.

Dmitri Aliev, who is a year younger than Roman, is equally pleased with the fact that a friend found earlier became a training mate. ["nuoruusvuosina" feels so funny when we are talking about guys who are barely of age... They are still in their youth.]

- We have a good team, but I have often wondered how nice it would be if it were international, not just us Russians. I was really happy when the international skater who joined our group was Roman.

On the same competition ice

The first competition on same ice for the teammates took place last weekend at Finlandia Trophy in Espoo. Roman Galay, who has only recently recovered from an injury and who is only getting used to a full training program, found himself at the last position in the men's result list.

The silver medalist at the European Championships last spring Dmitri Aliev was brilliantly third after the short program, but some fateful - and for the audience surely surprising - errors occurred in the free. A man accustomed to podium finishes had to settle for an overall fifth place.

- Any kind of performance after a break is always good. And it is always wonderful to skate at the Trophy with the audience encouraging you. Of course, I really rooted for Dmitri. And I was nervous for him. I knew he had a minor injury in training, Roman Galay said after the free program.

The friends returned to their training rink in St Petersburg immediately after Finlandia Trophy."

I guess the difficulty comes from the way you can form sentences fairly freely and use participial phrases also pretty liberally (and yeah, the 15 cases are also bummer to get absolutely right in different languages). Kaisa Viitanen also uses some colloquial forms there which are difficult to translate - "harkkajäilleen" ('to their training ice') turned somehow into 'beloved people' which really beats me, maybe somehow connecting it with "rakkailleen" which would be 'to their beloved people'.

E

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just dropping in to wish Dima amazing luck this weekend :cheer: hoping for a silver medal, if the jumps are on form! :clap:

Any word on how his practice sessions are going?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Sad about the jump mistakes today, but I was still completely mesmerized by Dima today! Praying that everything comes together for the second half of the season. :pray:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
As I said in Deniss's thread, so much went wrong for so many men at NHK, I don't want to dwell on it. Better to simply forget :laugh: One thing that I love about Dima, though, he never makes excuses, sugarcoats things, or shrugs off a bad skate. He apologized profusely on his IG for not meeting expectations. I remember that last season started off very rocky and some people speculated on FSO about some nagging injury (based on seeing pics of a possibly swollen ankle, and his simplified content). I hope that's not the case. But if it is, then I would prefer him to skip his 2nd GP, rest a bit, and focus on Russian Nats.

Imov

Medalist
Don't worry Dima you still have lots of room to improve.
Just take it one step at a time.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Sorry for asking a silly question, but I am pretty sure I have seen a picture of Dima's black cat named Ksyusha (Ксюша), can anyone verify this? I saw it some time ago on his Instagram (top part, some selections of past stories), I went back to check and make sure and it is not there anymore :eekn:

Reason: I was thinking about a stuffed animal to throw in for him, then I got an idea of a black cat, and attach a card to say "I came here to be with you, well done my Dima - Ksyusha" :eek::

just saw your post above @silverfoxes oh dear I really hope he is healthy... and I so hope to see him in Grenoble but if there is a health issue, yeah, he needs to take care of himself above all!!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nice pics from Grenoble:

https://pp.userapi.com/c847020/v847020550/139cb1/hEaPSv1AvYc.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c847020/v847020550/139cc1/TglBeHa2xgw.jpg
https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast/status/1066484178567553024

I was surprised to see him bring back one of his junior programs for the gala - made me a little nostalgic as that was the first season I became a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwc3OXxb-UM

Grenoble was better than NHK, so hopefully the rest of the season will be on an upward trajectory.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I truely love Dima really I do. He is the Most intetsting skater out there but what happened today and what going in with his IG.?All the photos are deleted !

rachno2

Record Breaker
So sad for Dima. I hope he is okay. I really did enjoy his performance today despite all the errors. Winner in PCS for me :)