Votes: 2 2.7%
  • looks should not matter

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • looks should matter

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

passion

On the Ice
Then again, in the case of many of the ladies, we actually have NO idea what they look like without makeup.....) [Actually, that's an unfair comment. There's probably a lot of the MEN we have no idea what they look like without makeup, either.... :laugh::laugh:]

I don't agree with this comment. I think in competitons, despite wearing makeup, it generally doesn't cover up what the person actually looks like. The makeup might just bring out the eyes more or accentuate the lips and the blush adds a bit of colour to the face. It's not like they're wearing makeup for a Halloween party. I also think you can recognize natural beauty in a skater whether they are wearing makeup or not. A good example of this is Yu Na Kim. This might be a bit cruel to say, but if you lined up a bunch of skaters who are all wearing makeup, some of the skaters will stand out more than the others because of their natural attractiveness. If we are talking strictly about physical beauty which we are, a lot has to do with facial bone structure and not about the makeup they wear. Having said that though, I still think that all skaters should wear some makeup at competitions.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
:agree: As for who???...I would classify 90% of the lady skaters as "good looking." 70% of the men IMO.

It seemed this took a turn of "in real life general comparison" where as I was thinking more of regarding points given for skating. As in, do they inflate a skaters scores solely due to their physical attractiveness? I am sure this a factor in "opportunities in life" but is or should it be a factor when regarding the points given directly regarding the programme it's self?

It is kind of like saying, does a person who has a job, get raises or everyone overlooks their mistakes purely based on their looks? I have seen situations where say a administrative assistant was chosen for a job role over another candidate with equal qualifications, but once they have the job are they / should they be given "extras" based on their looks.

I think that how you package yourself can really go a long ways no matter what genes you were given. Personally, I don't actually find Rochette exceptionally pretty, but somehow she really does the most with what she has and she comes off looking very polished and presentable. This sport is heavily influenced by appearance and that will not change, but where I think the line should be drawn is whether it is based on the overall package or based on how naturally ugly your face is. If everyone skates the same, but one skater seems to put the package together better, then yes, I think the judges should reward the one who packages themselves well. I would call this presentation.You could have a very pretty skater who wears torn and tattered tights, has underwear showing and hair flying all over the place, and on the other hand, a less pretty skater who can package herself well, I think the latter will make a better impression on the judges.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't agree with this comment. I think in competitons, despite wearing makeup, it generally doesn't cover up what the person actually looks like. The makeup might just bring out the eyes more or accentuate the lips and the blush adds a bit of colour to the face. It's not like they're wearing makeup for a Halloween party.

I don't know about that; I've seen some of the ice dancers up close.... :laugh:

I'll grant you this up to a point. But I think for the most part, makeup DOES help. I think we've all seen tabloid photos of some usually pretty attractive people without their makeup on just out shopping or something, and sometimes it can be QUITE the eye-opener... as in.... :eek:

passion

On the Ice
I don't know about that; I've seen some of the ice dancers up close.... :laugh:

I'll grant you this up to a point. But I think for the most part, makeup DOES help. I think we've all seen tabloid photos of some usually pretty attractive people without their makeup on just out shopping or something, and sometimes it can be QUITE the eye-opener... as in.... :eek:

lol. Okay, I know what you're saying, but if you took five girls at your home rink (and practicing without makeup) they can't all be THAT ugly! Gosh! Even Mira is not as ugly as she's made out to be. If anything, wearing TOO much makeup (perhaps ice dancers to add drama) can actually make you more ugly than you actually are. eg. Tammy Faye.

jennylovskt

Medalist
If a skater is "attractive, good looking, beautiful, pretty....." more so than any other skater, Does it at all reflect in the points scored?

Should it at all reflect in the points scored?

My feeling is "No". (I should choose "Looks do not matter", but I clicked the wrong button in the poll, then I don't know how to change it.) Otherwise, it would be unfair. I am not aware of any beauty related contradictions in the scorings. The athletes in Figure Skating are much more beautiful in general than any other sports any ways. But the looks do matter A LOT to the fans and the popularity of the athletes.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
My feeling is "No". (I should choose "Looks do not matter", but I clicked the wrong button in the poll, then I don't know how to change it.) Otherwise, it would be unfair. I am not aware of any beauty related contradictions in the scorings. The athletes in Figure Skating are much more beautiful in general than any other sports any ways. But the looks do matter A LOT to the fans and the popularity of the athletes.

Now that I think about it, I think in any individual sport looks is important more so than group sport.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
A few months ago on one of the skating boards, it might even have been this one, there was a discussion on who were the most attractive figure skaters. What followed was a list of what seemed like 1,000 skaters going back decades. So I turned it around ask asked for a list of ugly skaters; I think I got 5 or 6.

A few months ago on one of the skating boards, it might even have been this one, there was a discussion on who were the most attractive figure skaters. What followed was a list of what seemed like 1,000 skaters going back decades. So I turned it around ask asked for a list of ugly skaters; I think I got 5 or 6.
I think this is a reflection of the common courtesy that most contributors to figure skating boards show. Posters on skating forums are not much into saying, "So-and-so is ugly." (So-and-so's costume, on the other hand... :) )

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Looks play into a bit but what it really comes down to is sex appeal (which can manifest in several way). That goes for any part of life where you are trying to move up the ladder in any kind of performing/business area.

~Z

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Looks absolutely do matter! If they didn't, Mira Leuge would receive better scores, IMO. It is what it is.

Now, if its right is a totally different conversation...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for it does not matter and will go so far as to say IT SHOULD NOT MATTER.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that the facial look does not matter, but how the body type looks on the ice, might matter somewhat. The latter, if pleasing to the eye, makes it for the skater easier to create an artistically pleasant look.

Personally I think that there are some lady skaters who could take a better care of their hair. A thin looking and straight ponytail does not look good. Also a well selected costume will make any girl look attractive on the ice.