Do you ever have ideas for figure skating programs......... | Golden Skate

Do you ever have ideas for figure skating programs.........

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
.........that you want to suggest to skaters that have layouts you created but you can't really execute the idea out? I don't skate, but I have a few ideas for figure skating programs with the layouts of element placement. I can't skate, so it's sometimes it's a bit frustrating that I have ideas that I kinda want to share to skaters, but I can't really show what I have up in my head on what I think it'll look like.

Anyone else relate?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay! I’m not alone! Seriously, though. I did ballet for 7.5 years and cheerleading for 8 school years. So I have experience of learning choreography to music. And thinking of dances or cheer routines to music. So to me, thinking about skating was not terribly different but definitely different at the same time. For dances, easy, I can do it somewhat. Skating….heck no lol. I think of programs for others. Have been since 2014.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I would love if there was an online resource where you could suggest and share your ideas, and then athletes could look at it too if they were ever interested - obviously they may not be interested but I think fans can often have different ideas because it’s not our literal job to come up with them!

Country
Israel
.........that you want to suggest to skaters that have layouts you created but you can't really execute the idea out? I don't skate, but I have a few ideas for figure skating programs with the layouts of element placement. I can't skate, so it's sometimes it's a bit frustrating that I have ideas that I kinda want to share to skaters, but I can't really show what I have up in my head on what I think it'll look like.

Anyone else relate?
Last week I suddenly had an idea of a figure skating simulation game, where there would be animations for different elements and you can actually customize a program, it could actually be beneficial for actual choreographers. Just a dream though 😅' or maybe any of you fans are software developers for animated games?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Last week I suddenly had an idea of a figure skating simulation game, where there would be animations for different elements and you can actually customize a program, it could actually be beneficial for actual choreographers. Just a dream though 😅' or maybe any of you fans are software developers for animated games?
If I was tech-savvy I would be cutting/splicing together a program with all my favorite moves from other skaters. Make a complete program via cut/paste! (Not so much different to many choreographers whose programs simply look like color by numbers)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be amazing.

noskates

Record Breaker
The idea of a game is really a good one. But to think that an elite skater would turn to fans for music or choreography suggestions is kind of pie in the sky, isn't it? But a game where someone could design a program and put it to music would be a lot of fun,

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
An elite skater is not going to come to a fan etc for choreography, but there have been many that do ask for music suggestions via social media.

Might I add in relation to the point of this thread in the first place. Play your game: have fun as fans, just because it won't be used by an elite. Doesn't mean you still can't be creative and make up programs for fun.

streams4dreams

On the Ice
Hehe, YES!!! Mainly I think how I'd choreograph for myself. Since PaintItBlack is so played out, why not do the GOB cover??? I totally see the footwork sequence during the percussion section, and where I would place all of my elements... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-0_NoNit4
Suddenly I miss Ivett Toth ... sigh ... Anyway, I'd love to see this skated to :)

This is actually possible! Over Christmas my 8 year old niece introduced me to a graphical programming language called Scratch, developed at MIT to teach programming. There is a library of characters one can use to create a game, and she ended up making a football game (very simplified, but still). I just searched the Scratch public library for "figure skater", and it turns out there are some figure skating projects there! Obviously, nothing super sophisticated, but the layback spin and the spiral are kind of cool, so this could be a starting point for creating an entire library of figure skating elements!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Yes! I love the idea of ending a program with the choreo sequence or footwork. I love the idea of using the lesser known bits from popular pieces such as Swan Lake, Carmen, and operas.

Imagine

Medalist
I played a Michelle Kwan PC game like that when I was younger. It was terrible though.

Country
Israel
Suddenly I miss Ivett Toth ... sigh ... Anyway, I'd love to see this skated to :)

This is actually possible! Over Christmas my 8 year old niece introduced me to a graphical programming language called Scratch, developed at MIT to teach programming. There is a library of characters one can use to create a game, and she ended up making a football game (very simplified, but still). I just searched the Scratch public library for "figure skater", and it turns out there are some figure skating projects there! Obviously, nothing super sophisticated, but the layback spin and the spiral are kind of cool, so this could be a starting point for creating an entire library of figure skating elements!
I wish it was of better quality 😬