Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Also, am I the only one who loves Ekaterina's dress? :luv17:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Also, am I the only one who loves Ekaterina's dress? :luv17:

Most certainly not. Her dress is gorgeous. I wonder who did it, compared to the dress from the SD. :slink:

But Dmitri looks mighty fine too. I can't get over the FD, I just can't.

Marta25

Medalist
Here is a better version of their Free Dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P2QMVZBjq4

I think it`s going to be a great program for them, once they polished it up. I`ve to admit that I wasn`t so taken with this program at first, but the more I watch it the more I like it. I had the same reaction to Anna Karenina. I found it pretty dull at first and then over the season I really, really liked it.

Anyway, the selfish part in me is a little sad, that they didn`t skate to something like this last year, since I was live in Helsinki and would have preferred to see this FD than what they actually skated to :p but I`m glad that they finally, finally have an Olympic free dance that is worthy of them. The fight for an Olympic medal is going to be very interesting, that`s for sure.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Here is a better version of their Free Dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P2QMVZBjq4

I think it`s going to be a great program for them, once they polished it up. I`ve to admit that I wasn`t so taken with this program at first, but the more I watch it the more I like it. I had the same reaction to Anna Karenina. I found it pretty dull at first and then over the season I really, really liked it.

Anyway, the selfish part in me is a little sad, that they didn`t skate to something like this last year, since I was live in Helsinki and would have preferred to see this FD than what they actually skated to :p but I`m glad that they finally, finally have an Olympic free dance that is worthy of them. The fight for an Olympic medal is going to be very interesting, that`s for sure.

Anna Karenina wasn't instant love for me too. It was the program you need to understand, and to understand it you need to try, many people didn't give it a chance after first watch. But this dance is an instant love for me. From concept to elements, they only need to add perfect execution now. I already know that this program I will be rewatching maybe even years after. And Poclitaru's choreography doesn't look out of place on the ice, I would even say it's rather nice and beautiful.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Anna Karenina wasn't instant love for me too. It was the program you need to understand, and to understand it you need to try, many people didn't give it a chance after first watch. But this dance is an instant love for me. From concept to elements, they only need to add perfect execution now. I already know that this program I will be rewatching maybe even years after. And Poclitaru's choreography doesn't look out of place on the ice, I would even say it's rather nice and beautiful.

hello Snow63, hope you are doing well:)

well, the bolded are the universal words for everything I'd say - some time ago, I was very one-sided and despise everything about Ekaterina and Dmitri, but then I questioned myself, if the issue lays in the team indeed or in the my prejudice/reception of it. I realized that I indeed viewed Ice Dance teams very one-dimensional and tried to evaluate them to one standard I put in my head as the only correct one. It was a mistake and Ekaterina and Dmitri post-Sochi journey helped me in that realization.

It take this willingness, openness to diversity of Ice Dance world and coming at peace that they all have their own perspective in all what they present to us. I just learned to accept them as they come and evaluate them/appreciate them in their own scale, aesthetic. Yes, of course - scores and performances are there to be compared between teams, but it should never get to the point of mandatory unification all to one standard we would like to see. There are different teams for different sensibilities and tastes.

As for the FD, my perspective is not yet decided, I'll wait for more showing of it, but the very valuable thing for me is that they clearly show that they are willing to challenge themselves, to play on their strengths in a different way. If there will be a confidence, conviction, effort and dedication shown in what they will do - I am a happy person:)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Most certainly not. Her dress is gorgeous. I wonder who did it, compared to the dress from the SD. :slink:

But Dmitri looks mighty fine too. I can't get over the FD, I just can't.

I liked the FD dress for Katia too - there is that 'simpler, the better' quality in it, still being effective on ice. As for SD dress - I do not liked it, BUT I totally see the effect they went for with it. I'd just 'channel' it in the different direction, as mentioned in two other thread already (LOL :laugh:), recent SD dress does very little to highlight Katia's killer body, long legs and proportions, she would definitely shine in simpler cut and one-dimensional, deep colour. Short, long-sleeved asymmetrical dress with open back, in deep red/burgundy, with some gold details would be perfect in my opinion:)

TheGothicEme

On the Ice

It still is much much much better than the pumkin dress she had 7 years ago :rofl:
But why can't she just recycle the pink one from last year's gala? It's so beautiful

TheGothicEme

On the Ice

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Snow63

Record Breaker
They looked so GOOD! They were not even nervous, much much much better than in Syzran! I'm so happy for them. It's another 300 points for their World rating. They are the first ranked European team, by the way :):luv17:

On the other hand, that straight line lift needs TO GO :disapp:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
On the other hand, that straight line lift needs TO GO :disapp:

Yeah, it was the element with least GOE in the program, and there was some hesitation going on today. They really don't need that in the program.

On the other hand, rotational lift with straight 3s. That's good.

Edit: They are going to first place in the ranking when the points from Nepela are counted.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Edit: They are going to first place in the ranking when the points from Nepela are counted.

:shocked::shocked::shocked:
You're right! World Leaders!!! :yahoo: And to think that they have struggled to return after the injury just 2 years ago, missed Worlds after Meldonium WADA's fiasco etc.

Too bad some people have written them off already. Apparently they're here to stay, at least for a season :hap10:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
You're right! World Leaders!!! :yahoo: And to think that they have struggled to return after the injury just 2 years ago, missed Worlds after Meldonium WADA's fiasco etc.

Too bad some people have written them off already. Apparently they're here to stay, at least for a season :hap10:

I think it's not that bad people writing them off, but some of them actively think anything they do is terrible, and that's just silly. They need to work hard for their levels, yes, but they have evolved so much just in these last two seasons, I wonder how good they can be at the Olympics.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I think it's not that bad people writing them off, but some of them actively think anything they do is terrible, and that's just silly. They need to work hard for their levels, yes, but they have evolved so much just in these last two seasons, I wonder how good they can be at the Olympics.

And the better they get, the more terrible those people think they do. I know, right! It's becoming funny, that's all.

musicfan80

Medalist

I really hope that they consider staying for at least another year after this one. I think there will be room for them to move back up if they continue to improve since coming back.

I don't think they will medal in the ice dance event (although I will be happy if they do). But 4th-6th place at the Olympics and then a medal at Worlds, SURE! I also hope that the Russians will put them in the Olympic team event. :yes:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't think they will medal in the ice dance event (although I will be happy if they do). But 4th-6th place at the Olympics and then a medal at Worlds, SURE! I also hope that the Russians will put them in the Olympic team event. :yes:

Only V/M and P/C have their places moderately safe at the top, the rest is up for grabs. Anything can happen, they might end up eight or third, just what happened in Worlds this year - also, the season barely begun, and it's impossible to compare scores across competitions, but they did compete better than H/D and W/P, which are direct competition for the bronze.

For me, their FD could make a difference. It's not a hit or miss program, it's something simple, palatable, and they are steering clear of the high power and expression from the programs of other seasons.