Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 86 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I voted. We have a problem, though. Here's what it looks like now:

1. Ekaterina Yurlova (Biathlon) 36.8%
2. Liza Tuktamysheva (Figure Skating) 32.4%
3. Pavel Kolizhnikov (Speed Skating) 22.3%
4. Maxim Mihaylov (Volleyball) 5.8%
5. Semion Elistratov (Short Track Skating) 2.7%

Mmmm. I suspected that it might change. Let's face it, everybody was expecting Tuktamysheva to win at her World Championships. NOBODY was expecting Yurlova to win at her's! (Yurlova had NEVER even got on a World Cup podium before she won the Individual race at last month's World Championships in Kontiolahti).

Erm, guess who has become a regular viewer of Women's Biathlon since the Sochi Olympics... ;) :biggrin:

You'd think they could have found a better picture for Liza, at least.

I didn't think it was too bad a picture. But, there again, to me all photos of her are good photos, for the simple reason that she's in them! :biggrin:

Would you have preferred this one, which she uploaded this morning?

Happy Child

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last edited:

Ester

Rinkside
Here is a picture of Liza's 3A with a height of 61.6 cm and length of 259 cm! :eek:

Liza is measured at being about 157 cm in size. For those not using the metric system, Liza comes in at just over 5 feet tall, and her 3A jump at Worlds was over 2 feet above the ice at it's peak.

For a comparative analysis, the winner of the men's event, Javier Fernandez, had a 3A that came in at 52 cm (1.7 feet).

Wow! Amazing indeed!:cheer2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My question is why does it look like there is a door on that building directly to the left of Liza that opens directly into a pool? That seems like a bad idea.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Wait do you mean the man or the creepy guy on the poster? Isn't the man in the pool her coach? o_o

:eek::rofl: Mishin isn't quite that thick!

My question is why does it look like there is a door on that building directly to the left of Liza that opens directly into a pool? That seems like a bad idea.

I think it's just the angle of the photo & the pool probably has a walkway all around it.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I voted. We have a problem, though. Here's what it looks like now:

1. Ekaterina Yurlova (Biathlon) 36.8%
2. Liza Tuktamysheva (Figure Skating) 32.4%
3. Pavel Kolizhnikov (Speed Skating) 22.3%
4. Maxim Mihaylov (Volleyball) 5.8%

You'd think they could have found a better picture for Liza, at least.

Never heard of the listed people except Liza, but it is interesting that Biathlon seems popular sport in Russia. I thought it is one of the least popular sports in the world, no offense to the sport fan though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Never heard of the listed people except Liza, but it is interesting that Biathlon seems popular sport in Russia. I thought it is one of the least popular sports in the world, no offense to the sport fan though.

I bought pay tv recently and I now get Eurosport, and they showed some biathlon. It was actually quite interesting. Lots of different skills needed.

Poice

Final Flight
I think biatlon is quite popular in Europe - especially in German, Russia, France, Norway etc. also in my country :)

Back to the topic - I'm really exited for Elizaveta's 3As in both programs! I love her technique (wonderful 3Lz, axel) but I think she needs to work a little bit on overall speed.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist

I heard just about Ekaterina Yurlova. If I remember right she won women individual 15 km race at the World Championships. But Liza won almost everything she could this season. I would definitely put her to the first place. And I don't know where are you from, but biathlon is very popular sport in some European countries. In the Czech Republic we started to have great results some 2 or 3 years ago and every year more and more people watch our biathletes in TV during World Cup, which is held almost every week during winter. When there was a World Cup race this year in the Czech Republic the stadium was full. And I think in Germany, Norway and other countries(Russia, maybe France, Italy, Poland...) it is quite similar.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just went back to see if you can vote again, and you can! But, Liza fans, I’m afraid that Yurlova is pulling away. Here are the results at the moment (09:30 BST):

1. Ekaterina Yurlova (Biathlon) 37.2%
2. Liza Tuktamysheva (Figure Skating) 31.3%
3. Pavel Kolizhnikov (Speed Skating) 23.1%
4. Maxim Mihaylov (Volleyball) 5.7%

To be honest, Yurlova is the only one I've heard tell of, and that is only because of that surprise win a few weeks ago. Even though I've been watching biathlon for just over a year, she had never cropped up on my radar before the recent World Championships.

Biathlon is very popular in Russia. A few times this season, Patrick Winterton and Mike Dixon told us a figure for the number of people that do biathlon in Russia, and it was massive (unfortunately, I can't remember what the figure was).

The problem is that doping in biathlon is also very popular in Russia. There are so many people competing, that there is a belief that if you want to do well, you need that extra bit of "help". And unscrupulous coaches start them on the drugs at a very early stage of their competitive career.

Apparently, the IBU have tried to tackle it, but the scale of the problem is just too large.

Patrick and Mike were saying that it has got to the stage that if a Russian does well, you can't get excited about it because you can't be sure whether it was a legitimate result or not. And that that is a real shame. That the actions of some are reflecting badly on the whole team.

On the other hand, they also had a novel way of looking at it.

During the final round of the World Cup (at Khanty-Mansiysk in Russia!) they were discussing the German team, and how for years there were so few Juniors coming through because the Senior team was so successful. Then, all the top German biathletes retired around the same time, and the coaches were left in the position of bringing all the Juniors through at once. And, because there were no figureheads left for the Juniors to look up to and learn from, it took a long time for the team to get back near the top.

Anyway, they were contrasting this to the Russian team, where there is a constant stream of Juniors coming through to the Senior team. Except, the reason the Russian team is so good at bringing on the Juniors is because of the number of Russian biathletes that are getting caught for doping!

I bought pay tv recently and I now get Eurosport, and they showed some biathlon. It was actually quite interesting. Lots of different skills needed.

During the Olympics last year, I made it perfectly obvious that I am not a big fan of cross-country skiing. But, despite this, I came to really like biathlon. And that is because of the shooting element. This is the exciting part.

Seeing how many of the targets go down.
Seeing if anybody can manage a clean sweep.
Seeing what is the most targets somebody misses.
Seeing the orders change according to penalties applied for missing.
Seeing if somebody can ski fast enough to regain their position after getting penalties.
Seeing what is the highest position achieved by somebody with each number of targets missed.

Plus, it helps that there are such beautiful examples of womanhood within biathlon, such as Grabriela Soukalova (CZE), Darya Domracheva (BLR), Dorothea Wierer (ITA)... ;) :love:

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like the penalty loop. Such a clever idea. But they do need to figure out a better way of getting the skiiers on and off it - there was a near-collision in the last race I was watching.

I am curious, though - yes, the doping would help you ski faster and longer etc, but you still have to hit the targets, or you go round the penalty loop and lose time. So - it seems doping would only half work.

:laugh: I just went back some pages and re-read the adventures of Princess Liza and her many suitors...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I like the penalty loop. Such a clever idea. But they do need to figure out a better way of getting the skiiers on and off it - there was a near-collision in the last race I was watching.

I am curious, though - yes, the doping would help you ski faster and longer etc, but you still have to hit the targets, or you go round the penalty loop and lose time. So - it seems doping would only half work.
No, not only half. Before shooting you should get your heartrate down (that's why they're slowing down before shooting) and it's slowing down faster if you're in better physical shape. Biathlon is a dirty sport, there were many doping scandals in the last couple of years.

Back to the topic - I'm really exited for Elizaveta's 3As in both programs! I love her technique (wonderful 3Lz, axel) but I think she needs to work a little bit on overall speed.
I fully agree! And she should work on her split jump.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

You know, we may have very differing opinions on a lot of things, but there are also a lot of things where we are on the exact same wavelength!

I have always been confused as to why it would be advantageous to dope in biathlon. As you say, it would work for the skiing part. But surely you need to be fully with yourself when you're shooting. Like, it is only a very small target, and it is a good distance away. And if you are doped up to the two eyeballs, surely there is more chance of missing.

As for the loop, they definitely need to look at how the biathletes enter and leave it. Like, anybody with half a brain could tell you that having the biathletes enter and leaving the loop at the same opening, and where the natural lines cross over each other, was an accident waiting to happen.

There was actually a collision a couple of months ago, and at the time, somebody e-mailed Patrick and suggested that the penalty loop should be changed so that it is modelled on "Henle's Loop". I hadn't a clue what they were talking about, except that it is located somewhere in your body. So I looked it up, and it turns out that it is basically a U-shape with separate entrance and exit.

Seems sensible enough to me! :agree:

Anyway, back to Liza. Here is a super-cute video she uploaded to Instagram last Tuesday:

https://igcdn-videos-g-9-a.akamaihd...16/11104630_1570022473275969_1995521646_n.mp4

(Yippee!!! Finally worked out how to link directly to Instagram videos!!! :cheer: )

See what I mean about super-cute? :love:

Does anybody have any idea what she is talking about?! (Or what is inside that wrapper...?)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: