Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 89 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

LRK

Record Breaker
And it's the last event, if I remember correctly - so there will be a bit of a wait.... It's a nailbiter. Not so much because I'm concerned with position - as because I wonder if she will be able to pull it off... I do so hope she does!

moriel

Record Breaker
And it's the last event, if I remember correctly - so there will be a bit of a wait.... It's a nailbiter. Not so much because I'm concerned with position - as because I wonder if she will be able to pull it off... I do so hope she does!

Yup, same here... Would love to see her jump it clean.

dna5019

Final Flight
GO LIZA! :cheer: Her FS is one of my favorites. I'm hoping she lands everything and exits the season with a bang! :cheer2:

moriel

Record Breaker
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/21682.html

"Frankly, it was a bit hard to skate today, before the World Championships in Shanghai we had more time to prepare - said Elizabeth Tuktamysheva. - At this time, the triple axel attempt went unsuccessful, but such attempts should be made. It is impossible to land this complicated jump in a stable way, since this is a new jump for me. But I'm glad I was able to get together after the fall. If I do this jump with an eye on next season, I must do it already, try to jump the technical maximum. So why not try it at such a tournament? I think I should take the risk and execute a triple axel in the long program too. "

"To be honest, I barely recovered after the Worlds - explained Elizabeth Tuktamysheva. - And only now started skating at full force. Between these launches, there was not much time. It passed very quickly. Getting back to training was difficult. Apparently, World Championships in Shanghai took a lot of energy and emotions. "

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you! It's not strange if she were tired, both physically and emotionally - I think it probably would have been stranger if she hadn't been. Maybe she herself hadn't really realised, until now, just how much it took out of her. But, I hope she will recover for the free - Go, Liza! :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I was quite impressed with Liza's SP and how she held it together. Being able to come back after a fall--instead of letting the rest of the program die--is also a crucial part of being a champion.

If we snipped the elements out, I actually think it was better than Worlds--she looked freer, with better flow and less focus on just the elements. The steps were fantastic (and received Level 4 again--I guess Worlds wasn't just a generous caller).

Reading the interview, I'm a little bit worried about 3A in the free. She held it together for the short, but considering the lack of preparation, how will she get through an entire LP with a 3A? (Meanwhile, a clean LP like GPF/Euros/St. Petersburg comp will probably get her the win no matter how anyone else skates. I can see why she wants to try 3A though, as preparation for next year.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought she looked quite tired in the SP. But the placements are correct - Gracie was absolutely perfect.

I'm sure Liza will kick backside in the free though :)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Umm, not an expert in Japanese (especially when spoken with a foreign accent), but sounds like she is saying a greeting in Japanese, something about good weather on Tuesday? :confused:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anyone know what she said in her IG video? https://instagram.com/p/1jp8xqTQXi/?taken-by=liza_tuktik

I assume its thanking the fans, but I don't know Japanese.

Awwww!!!!! That video is so cute! How can anybody not love her after seeing that?! :love:

Can't help with the translation, though. Apart from saying "hello", "goodbye" and "thank you", all I can do in Japanese is count up to 8 (and if you want to know why it is to 8, see this video. I should add, on the video on the CD, there were no English subtitles!)

By the way, myself and sabinfire had a conversation about Liza in the WTT Men's SP thread (I know, we shouldn't have been discussing her there! But the conversation came up because of something that he had noticed during the Men's SP). And I was wondering if anybody else shared our opinions.

The posts are scattered across a wide area, so here are the direct links:

Post 1 (sabinfire)
Post 2 (me)
Post 3 (sabinfire)
Post 4 (me)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Umm, not an expert in Japanese (especially when spoken with a foreign accent), but sounds like she is saying a greeting in Japanese, something about good weather on Tuesday? :confused:

AAAAHHHGGGH. She's so cute! She says.
Good day! Are you well? On Tuesday the weather will be good.

Is she studying Japanese? It sounds like a drill sentence you get from a language learning class.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
AAAAHHHGGGH. She's so cute! She says.
Good day! Are you well? On Tuesday the weather will be good.

Is she studying Japanese? It sounds like a drill sentence you get from a language learning class.

I have always had a soft spot for the Japanese, and would love to learn the language. But, I have always concluded that it would be too difficult, given how different it is from English (and the fact you don't use the Latin alphabet!)

Anyway, as this is my 3,000th post, I want to take this opportunity to congratulate Liza on everything she has achieved this season, and wish her all the best for the seasons to come.

Liza, I have been a fan ever since the first time I saw you, when you won Skate Canada on your Senior Grand Prix debut. In that time, there have been a lot of highs, but also a lot of lows. But, I have stuck with you through it all.

But, this season has just been beyond all my wildest dreams. The lean period you had in recent years would have been enough to make many skaters decide to call it a day. But you carried on, and you not only came back, but you dominated.

1st in Cup of China
2nd in Skate America, only a few days after winning the Coupe de Nice
Lots of other Senior B wins
Inaugural Challenger Series Champion
Grand Prix Final Champion
European Champion
World Champion

What more can I say?!

So, thank you for giving me so much joy over the past 4 years, and in particular this season.

And I hope you continue to give me joy for many more years to come.

Спасибо Лиза

CaroLiza_fan

LRK

Record Breaker
:clap:

Hear, hear! Well - and eloquently - said!

I too have been amazed with what she has accomplished this season - and I too have stuck with her (in my case) ever since I saw her at her first senior GP and was blown away by her performance. I never lost faith - I knew that, sooner or later, she would be back (I even talked about that feeling here on this thread before this season begun) - but what has happened has exceeded my wildest imaginings... I could never have envisioned this! She's our Queen - and I'm so proud of her!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
By the way, myself and sabinfire had a conversation about Liza in the WTT Men's SP thread (I know, we shouldn't have been discussing her there! But the conversation came up because of something that he had noticed during the Men's SP). And I was wondering if anybody else shared our opinions.

Post 1 (sabinfire)
Post 2 (me)
Post 3 (sabinfire)
Post 4 (me)

CaroLiza_fan
Well, Liza was in the K&C with Mishin to cheer on K/S (and their coach Moskvina) so no worries.

I can see why she was annoyed with herself. From reports, she nailed a 3A in the warm-up. Yes, she shouldn't be so hard on herself since the rest of the program was good--but it's not a problem if she can use the frustration as motivation. (And even if she doesn't--it's just WTT, as Mishin said).

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Post 1 (sabinfire)
Post 2 (me)
Post 3 (sabinfire)
Post 4 (me)

I'll attempt to restart this topic of conversation, with the Ladies FS about a half-day away...

I actually predicted Liza's 3A fall on page 1 of the WTT Ladies SP thread, hours before the event started.

Liza seemed noticeably upset (for her standards, anyway) in the K&C. If she was going to fall on the 3A, the FS would have been the best place to do it. Although I don't really think she has anything to be upset about -- highest TES and PCS in the SP, and aside from the mandatory point deduction, she actually had the best SP that day (in the judges view at least).

Still, one must wonder how this will affect her going into the FS, with another 3A planned in a program that has never seen this element added in competition before. This is only WTT, she is already World Champ... is she mentally tough enough to bounce back from this horrible loss in the short? :laugh:

I think nailing that 3A in the FS will be all the more important now, otherwise that seed of doubt gets planted, not a good way to close out an amazing season while looking ahead to a new one.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yes, she shouldn't be so hard on herself since the rest of the program was good--but it's not a problem if she can use the frustration as motivation. (And even if she doesn't--it's just WTT, as Mishin said).

I took so long to type/submit that last message, I didn't see this until afterwards... guess this topic is getting a double kick-start. ;)

Yes, it's just WTT, that's how I see it. Lots of re-framing going on, though. Her competitors may not see it that way. She may have gone from 'unbeatable' to 'beatable'. Whether it is an illusion or not, often times all that's needed is to buy into an illusion, to provide mental strength (or lack thereof) in sports.

moriel

Record Breaker
Don't think Liza needs extra mental strength though...
As for competitors, its good to have some ;) If she would just be unbeatable, it would be terrible for her too =D

Alba

Record Breaker
She may have gone from 'unbeatable' to 'beatable'. Whether it is an illusion or not, often times all that's needed is to buy into an illusion, to provide mental strength (or lack thereof) in sports.

Good for them. But, if she skates clean she is "unbeatable". That's simple mathematics.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think nailing that 3A in the FS will be all the more important now, otherwise that seed of doubt gets planted, not a good way to close out an amazing season while looking ahead to a new one.
You might have a point here, though I hope you're wrong. In light of this, would it be better for Liza to: 1) land 3A and mess up her other jumps (since that proves she can still do the axel--something similar happened at the St. Petersburg competition, and she was ready by Worlds) or 2) miss 3A but go clean otherwise (since it proves she has the stamina--she just needs to work harder on the landing. Plus, this will likely score better and could still net her the win depending on how others skate).

I actually think it's better to fall in the 3A in the short. She only has two more jumping passes to get through, and she did--the program didn't suffer. And if she can skate the free completely clean with 3A, that's just :love: (and will be a huge confidence boost).

Yes, it's just WTT, that's how I see it. Lots of re-framing going on, though. Her competitors may not see it that way. She may have gone from 'unbeatable' to 'beatable'. Whether it is an illusion or not, often times all that's needed is to buy into an illusion, to provide mental strength (or lack thereof) in sports.
Nobody is unbeatable. Post-figures, Midori Ito never won a single WC even though she easily could have (and no, it's not because judges didn't appreciate her--it's because she didn't go clean and didn't deliver her planned content).

Liza has actually been beaten several times this year, including at her own Nationals. She was behind Elena in the SP at Europeans, and had to skate after Elena went clean in the LP; she was perfect and won. Here, even with a fall, she placed ahead of Elena. She also proved that she can come back after a fall, and the 3A isn't her only TES salvation like it was for Mao circa. 2010.

A clean LP like Europeans would still net her the overall win, unless Gracie magically fixes her lip overnight (Ashley skating like Nationals could maybe win the segment, but she's too far back after the SP).

I'm wary of axel in the LP mainly because I don't think she had enough time to train/gain the necessary stamina. But making mistakes because she's tired at WTT shouldn't affect her next year.