European Skating 2021-22 Season | Page 8 | Golden Skate

European Skating 2021-22 Season

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
This seems probably the best place for this good news:

After testing positive after the RD on Friday, Barbara Fusar Poli (coach of Guignard/Fabbri, Tessari/Walker and Moscheni/Fioretti) has twice tested negative and has been allowed to return home to Milan.

Sources: https://www.gazzetta.it/Sport-Inver...ignard-fabbri-danza-bronzo-430929401621.shtml and https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...atelnyh_testa_na_COVID_19_i_pokinula_Estoniju

Wishing all the other affected participants a speedy recovery and fingers crossed for no more positive tests.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
This seems probably the best place for this good news:

After testing positive after the RD on Friday, Barbara Fusar Poli (coach of Guignard/Fabbri, Tessari/Walker and Moscheni/Fioretti) has twice tested negative and has been allowed to return home to Milan.

Sources: https://www.gazzetta.it/Sport-Inver...ignard-fabbri-danza-bronzo-430929401621.shtml and https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...atelnyh_testa_na_COVID_19_i_pokinula_Estoniju

Wishing all the other affected participants a speedy recovery and fingers crossed for no more positive tests.
:hap10: yay!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
With 25yo nicole schott going to the Olympics again, I'd love to know more about her. She started at the jgp in 2014 I think? At 16 or 17? She isn't super flexible but her layback is nice. How was she able to get to a respectable level while training in Germany? I heard on a Russian commentary that German skaters MUST go to school and that's why there aren't any big stars there. ?

Reactions: ana

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
With 25yo nicole schott going to the Olympics again, I'd love to know more about her. She started at the jgp in 2014 I think? At 16 or 17? She isn't super flexible but her layback is nice. How was she able to get to a respectable level while training in Germany? I heard on a Russian commentary that German skaters MUST go to school and that's why there aren't any big stars there. ?
I don´t think that the "must go to school thing" is the reason that we don´t have great skaters in Germany right now. It is true that there is an obligation to go to school in Germany, but it is the same for all kind of sports. And we have great football players (soccer) or biathletes and are successful in other sports too. We have schools (Sportinternate) who concentrate on supporting young athletes in doing both, go to school and train. It is definitely a disadvantage in comparison to other countries, but it is the same for all young athletes.

I think the main reason that we don´t have great skaters in Germany is the fact that skating isn´t a big deal in Germany. When it comes to sports, the one big thing is football (soccer) above everything. Then comes basketball, handball, icehockey, tennis. And even considering winter sports there are much more popular winter sports like biathlon and skijumping. So the problem is that we don´t have a lot of young people who start with figure skating because they prefer to go to other sports.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Post from Michal Brezina on his Instagram:

From my start with sport it has been a dream of mine to be an Olympian, it never even cross my mind when I went to my first Olympics that 12 years later I would still be here.

I'm grateful for the opportunities I was given and opportunities i created thru out my skating life and I'm always going to be proud of the things I achieved for myself and my Country.

It is never easy to say that this was the last time I was standing on an olympic ice, I would never be here without the support of my family, my friends, my coaches all of them since I was young.
I would never be able to still enjoy skating without the incredible knowledge from my Coach Rafael who showed me what i can still do even at my age, so special thank you to him.

I would not be doing this if it wasn't for the unconditional love from my wife who supported me for the last 4 years as I kept skating even tho I told her after 2018 I was done 😉

I love what skating gave me I wouldn't change it for anything, without skating i wouldn't have made friends all over the world. I would not be able to travel to countries all over the globe to compete and represent my country.

now I can't wait to hug my wife and my daughter and tell her all the crazy stories that happened to me thruout all these years.

Here is to a great skating life of one old guy that just simply loves to skate!

Weathergal

Medalist
I think one of the reasons for her success is her coach, Michael Huth. He coached Carolina Kostner for many years and Tomas Verner. So perhaps that's a factor.

Anyway she started in JGP in 2013.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
German skaters must go to school, as do many skaters in other European countries. There is compulsary education until a certain age. Usually something can be arranged if they are at a certain level to be able to compete during school hours, but that's about it. 'Home schooling' is explicitly forbidden, parents can get fined!

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I´m curious what will happen to Nikita Starostin. German fed was planning to send him to worlds instead of Paul Fentz. But Nikita is Russian and doesn´t have German citizenship yet. Will he be allowed to compete for Germany?

Country
Norway
I´m curious what will happen to Nikita Starostin. German fed was planning to send him to worlds instead of Paul Fentz. But Nikita is Russian and doesn´t have German citizenship yet. Will he be allowed to compete for Germany?
He should be able to go, the ban applies to the skating Federation not the citizenship I think. Unless EU or something would ban travelers with Russian passports, but I don´t think they will go that far, that would really impact a lot of people living outside Russia.

I didn´t know Nikita is Russian and didn´t have a German citizenship, I guess the plan is to get one so that he maybe can skate at the next Olympics?

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
He should be able to go, the ban applies to the skating Federation not the citizenship I think. Unless EU or something would ban travelers with Russian passports, but I don´t think they will go that far, that would really impact a lot of people living outside Russia.

I didn´t know Nikita is Russian and didn´t have a German citizenship, I guess the plan is to get one so that he maybe can skate at the next Olympics?
Nikita is living in Germany for quite some years. But he doesn´t really speak the language, what is important to get German citizenship. Bruno Massot was struggling with passing the language test as well. But he still has time until the next Olympics. And since we don´t have a lot of good skaters in Germany, I think he will get the citizenship until 2026.