Extraordinary performances under extraordinary pressure | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Extraordinary performances under extraordinary pressure

MKFSfan

Medalist
Irina's combo was not perfect either. She had no speed going into the second jump which is why she only did a double. The fact that she was practically tied with Sasha was absurd, but the judges just ate her up.
I went back and watched the SPs and checked out protocols. Irina's combo looked pretty typical for Irina-lots of speed into the jump, good height, and little speed out. I don't think Irina ever intended to do a 3/3 in the SP, maybe a 3lz/2lp at the most, but she did a clean 3lz/2. Shiz was the one who was planning a 3lz/3lp but had a tight landing on the 3lz, so tacked on a 2t. While the 3 were practically tied, both Shiz and Irina scored higher on TES than Sasha due to more points earned on jumps and they also had 3 level 4's and 1 level 3 on spins/spirals/FW, while Sasha had 2 level 3's, 2 level 4's. Sasha did score highest in PCS, so the judges did prefer her overall.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yes, add Elvis Stojko to your list. He skated in the Nagano 1998 Olympics with a serious groin injurty and garnered the silver medal. No one knew he was in so much pain until the end of his program. It was amazing. Talk about tough! Elvis is the most focused skater I have ever seen skate.

http://www.elvisstojko.net/bio.html

prettykeys

Medalist
Last night I watched Tara's 1998 Olympic FS, and I am shocked at how good she actually was. I truly am...and I'm a little embarrassed to be saying this around some people here who obviously knew.

She skated after a perfect 7-triple long by Michelle, and as the commentator said, gave "a second perfect program for the Americans." I am amazed at not only the variety of Tara's triples, but also the beauty of the 3loop-3loop combination and the fact that neither of her 3-3's were at the very beginning of her program; in fact, the other 3-3 was in the second half of her program! :eek: People just don't do that anymore! And the rest of her skating/performance was of high quality.

Tara not only skated to win that night...she planned to skate to win. I still don't think she had the greatest pressure on her (people counted her out, yes?) but what she did that night was truly extraordinary. Is there any other women's program that was executed to perfection with that level of difficulty?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is there any other women's program that was executed to perfection with that level of difficulty?

4 years later, SLC, Sarah Hughes? yes she had jump take off issues, but so did Tara.

prettykeys

Medalist
4 years later, SLC, Sarah Hughes? yes she had jump take off issues, but so did Tara.
I don't consider her program to have been all that polished. Plus, not only were there issues with her jump takeoffs, there were also a couple underrotations too (some would consider at least one of her "3-3"'s to be a 3-2 under today's standards), and no 3loop-3loop. :)

i love to skate

Medalist
I don't consider her program to have been all that polished. Plus, not only were there issues with her jump takeoffs, there were also a couple underrotations too (some would consider at least one of her "3-3"'s to be a 3-2 under today's standards), and no 3loop-3loop. :)

For me, Hughes program was much more difficult than Tara's. She has greater speed, edges, extensions and spins. Both of her combinations had a triple loop as the second jump. A triple salchow-triple loop combination is extremely difficult as well. Downgrades and take offs are a mute point - they weren't taken into consideration back then so it's pointless to dispute them today. That look of disbelief and excitement at the end of her program is just priceless as well :clap:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yes, the 3lp/3lp combo is really tough, but I think on paper, Sarah's program was more technically advanced than Tara's. First of all, Sarah did 2 3/3 combos, Tara did one plus a sequence. Then there is their technique...I think it is impossible to complete a 3lp/3lp without UR, pre-rotating or whatever. Tara also had a bad flutz, awful 2ax technique and I didn't care for her salchow, but I guess that is all part of being a roller skater 1st. I also wasn't crazy about her basic skills, especially the way she would pump her body as she stroked, didn't like her mule kick into toe jumps either. What I did like was she had great use of her arms, could rotate fast in the air to make up for her small jumps and her speed. Sarah on the other hand, had UR issues, a pretty bad flutz too, but a great 2ax and I loved the way she would do a back spiral into a solo loop (not Oly program though). She was a better spinner-lovely layback-, had better edge work in her programs, and had more connecting moves and difficult transitions in her programs. And they both included illusion spins which I cannot stand! ;-P

I think if you break it all down, Sarah would come out ahead both in program difficulty and for a better choreographed winning performance.

inside edge

On the Ice
I also wasn't crazy about her basic skills, especially the way she would pump her body as she stroked, didn't like her mule kick into toe jumps either. What I did like was she had great use of her arms, could rotate fast in the air to make up for her small jumps and her speed. Sarah on the other hand, had UR issues, a pretty bad flutz too, but a great 2ax and I loved the way she would do a back spiral into a solo loop (not Oly program though). She was a better spinner-lovely layback-, had better edge work in her programs, and had more connecting moves and difficult transitions in her programs. And they both included illusion spins which I cannot stand! ;-P

Sarah on the other hand, had UR issues, a pretty bad flutz too:yes:

at least one of her "3-3"'s to be a 3-2 under today's standards

ITA:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

prettykeys

Medalist
I think it is impossible to complete a 3lp/3lp without UR, pre-rotating or whatever.
Yes, that's why complaining about 3loop pre-rotations doesn't really "count". Tara also almost fully rotated on the landings. She was brilliant. :thumbsup:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Michelle at Worlds in 2000? Third after the short, skating before here competitors, she pulls off a perfect long program with 7 triples to win gold. How many other skaters could have done that?

csunny7

Rinkside
I would add Kim Yu Na's performances, especially at the 2009 Worlds. I really can't imagine having so much pressure on you - when you are the most loved celebrity in your home country, when they are willing you on to win, following your every move... It's remarkable that she's been able to cope with that amount of pressure all throughout her career. It seems like she's faltering somewhat now, but I hope she'll be able to handle all of it in Vancouver, just like how she did a botched FS at 2009 4CC but stormed back to win Worlds.

EDIT: During the time of 2009 Worlds, I remember Kim's skates billing up to be Korea vs Japan because of some baseball (?) match that had concluded the days before and resulted in Japan's win. All in all, this is a helluva lot of pressure on one young girl's shoulders.

Yes, Yuna did a brilliant extraordinary performance at 2009 World- especially Danse Macabre- dealing with great pressure . As Sandra said Yuna had not only great expection of her country on her shoulder but was expected to do cleanest program. She set the new world record there! I just hope & believe Yuna will enjoy every competition with confidence and nicely handle the pressure. God bless Yuna!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh and here is one of my all time favorite moments of pressure and quick thinking on the part of the skaters:

In 1973 at the World Champions the Russian pair team of Irina Rodnina and Alexandr Zaytsev had major problems with their music - it stopped in the middle of their performance. They kept on skating with no music and turned in a gold medal performance! It was one of the most amazing moments in the history of figure skating.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/olympicchampions/p/rodnina.htm

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me, Hughes program was much more difficult than Tara's. She has greater speed, edges, extensions and spins. Both of her combinations had a triple loop as the second jump. A triple salchow-triple loop combination is extremely difficult as well. Downgrades and take offs are a mute point - they weren't taken into consideration back then so it's pointless to dispute them today. That look of disbelief and excitement at the end of her program is just priceless as well :clap:

Greater speed, I don't think so.

Tara had a harder jump layout - lots of jumps in the second half of the program.

Hughes does win on the spins.

I prefer Tara's program, though.

Downgrades aren't a mute point either. Slutskaya's team pointed out Hughes having less rotation in her jumps when they argued that Slutskaya should have been 1st in the LP.