Favorite Japanese Skaters | Golden Skate

Favorite Japanese Skaters

Ballade88

On the Ice
A while ago, there was a thread titled Top 10 Female Japanese Skaters of All Time , which I thought was pretty interesting. I didn't recall seeing a thread for Japanese male skaters, so I thought it would be good to start a thread where people can talk about their favorite Japanese skaters, past and present. :)

Here are my favorite Japanese skaters broken down by gender:

Ladies

1) Mao Asada
Before becoming a fan of Mao, I wasn't that interested in Japanese skaters. They had good basics and jumps, but their performances didn't hold my attention.
Mao changed all of that. Her combination of grace, beauty, and power was captivating. It was thanks to her that I grew to move away from the favorable bias I had for North American skaters at that time and become more interested in Asian skaters in general.

2) Yukina Ota
I discovered Yukina's skating in retrospect on Youtube, long after she retired from the sport. I loved her performance to Daphnis et Chloe at the 2004 4CC competition. In my opinion, Yukina and Mao were the most artistic skaters to come out of Japan. It's unfortunate that Yukina struggled on the technical side and injuries sidelined her career. She was such a beautiful skater.

3) Akiko Suzuki
It's difficult to not love Akiko's skating because she skates with such joy and emotion. Her personal story is equally compelling. She is a role model for a skater who was able to overcome her personal struggles to achieve longevity in this sport.

4) Midori Ito
Midori was a trailblazer and arguably still the best jumper this sport has ever seen. She would be at or near the top of a "best" list, but this is more of a personal favorites list. I admire and more in awe of Midori than love her skating. To me, she was amazing from a pure athletic viewpoint, charismatic, but not as artistic as the three skaters mentioned above.

Honorable Mentions
Rika Kihira
I prefer Rika to the more popular Marin Honda. She combines high athleticism with the pure joy of skating. I wish Rika was the one to move abroad and change coaches, because I don't think Hamada's school of skating and the choreography given to her best suit her style and personality.

Men

1) Daisuke Takahashi
Hanyu may be King, but Daisuke is still my favorite Japanese male skater, and probably male skater in general for the past decade or so. His collaboration with Pasquale Camerlengo produced several amazing programs. His commitment to choreography and performance were second to none.

2) Shoma Uno
It is hard not to root for Shoma when his idol is Daisuke and his inspiration to start figure skating was Mao. :biggrin: Shoma has a lot of charisma and power in his skating. I am a bit disappointed that he seemed to focus more on the technical side over the artistry/performance in past couple of seasons. Hopefully, now that he has an Olympic medal, he will focus more on developing his artistry and become a great performer like his idol Daisuke.

3) Yuzuru Hanyu
With two OGMs, Yuzuru is undoubtedly the greatest competitor and most successful skater to come out of Japan. Like Midori, I admire more than love his skating. Romeo and Juliet version 1.0 remains my favorite program of his. In my opinion, he grew in confidence over the years but lost some of the raw passion and intensity that I saw in that program. Nonetheless, he is an extraordinary skater and athlete, so deserves a place on this list.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Ladies
1. Mao Asada
2. Midori Ito
3. Wakaba Higuchi
4. Satoko Miyahara
5. Fumie Suguri

Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Daisuke Takahashi
3. Shoma Uno
4. Nobunari Oda
5. Tatsuki Machida

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
1.Mao Asada
2.Akiko Suzuki
3.Satoko Miyahara
4.Mai Mihara

1.Yuzuru Hanyu
2.Nobunari Oda
3.Tatsuki Machida
4.Daisuke Takahashi

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1) Midori Ito
2) Yuka Sato
3) Mao Asada
4) Akiko Suzuki

1)Shoma Uno
2) Takahiko Kozuka
3) Daisuke Takahashi
4)Tatsuki Machida
5) Nobunari Oda
6) Ryo Shibata (for looks)
7) Daisuke Murakami (for curly hair)
8) Takahito Mura

Danibellerika

Medalist
Ladies
1.Satoko Miyahara - love her style, choreography, and program intricacy.
2.Wakaba Higuchi - really made me take notice in a big way this year, and she has so much future potential.
3.Shizuka Arakawa - loved the ina bauers and general good quality skates. She beat my fave Sasha, but I don't hold it against her.
4.Mao Asada - great balletic qualities, gracefulness.
5.Mai Mihara - lovely floaty quality over the ice.

Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - G.O.A.T. and all that
2. Daisuke Takahashi - amazing artistry and charisma. I still miss him.
3. Shoma Uno - for many of the same reasons I liked Daisuke, though he is coming into his own and I like it.
4. Takahiko Kozuka - not the most consistent but boy could he skate.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Wakaba Higuchi
3. Midor ito
men:
1. Yuzuru hanyu
2. Daisuke takahashi
3. shoma i guess?

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Kaori Sakamoto
3. Miki Ando
4. Satoko Miyahara
Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Tatsuki Machida
3. Sota Yamatomo

ioanna

Record Breaker
Ladies:

1. Satoko Miyahara - her collaborations with choreographer Tom Dickson first caught my eye; together they always bring something fresh and beautiful. I like her understated style, quiet strength and attention to detail.
2. Akiko Suzuki - loved her programs with Pasquale Camerlengo and the love and joy for skating that she always expressed. When she stepped on the rink she created her own world.
3. Mao Asada - for her grace, dignity, fighting spirit. She had the best skating skills and footwork and I enjoyed her step sequences the most. She skated wearing her heart on her sleeve.
4. Wakaba Higuchi - for her dynamic style, the power and the speed that sets her apart from her peers.
5. Kanako Murakami - for her exuberance, passion and commitment to her programs. Violin Muse is one of my all-time favorite short programs.

Men:

1. Daisuke Takahashi - for the wide variety of styles he was able to approach for his programs, sharp and dynamic step sequences, talent to express the music with his body and changing many people's perception of Asian male skaters not showing enough emotions.
2. Tatsuki Machida - for his intense, emotional style and ability to create an atmosphere, for his creativity and story telling and for his big jumps and beautiful technique.
3. Yuzuru Hanyu - for being the best blend of technique and art, by far the best jumper and spinner, for improving his skating skills, carriage and projection among other things over the years, for his courage and fighting spirit.
4. Takahiko Kozuka - for his understated style and exceptional skating skills.
5. Shoma Uno - for his flowing edges, flair for dramatic programs and projection.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
1. Kaori Sakamoto
2. Mao Asada
3. Satoko Miyahara
4. Mai Mihara
5. Wakaba Higuchi

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LADIES:
1. Midori Ito
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Mao Asada
4. Wakaba Higuchi
5. Satoko Miyahara
6. Mai Mihara

MEN:
1. Shoma Uno
2. Takahiko Kozuka
3. Nobunari Oda
4. Daisuke Takahashi
5. Kazuki Tomono
6. Sota Yamamoto

minze

Medalist
1. Mao Asada (She is my favorite All time figure skater)
2. Midori Ito
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Kanako Murakami
5. Satoko Miyahara

Men
Takhiko Kozuka
Daisuke Takahashi
Tatsuki Machida

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I cannot and will not rate my love for Team Japan with a ranking of who I love more or who I love less. I just want to say thank you to everyone who put Kanako on their list. She was a wonderful skater.

readernick

Medalist
I love almost all Japnese skaters 😀 It is difficult to choose my favorites but :

Woman
1. Mao Asada: Her performances move me to tears at times. When I watch her I am moved in a way that I have only felt with Mao, Janet Lynn, Michelle Kwan and Carolina. There is something so honest about her performance. She was a risk taker too. Loop combos and 3A —- amazing 👍
2 Akiko Suzuki— she was so musical and her choreography has such a unique personal flair
3. Satoko: Her attention detail is second to none. Everything she does is beautiful
4. Midori Ito: Her jumps were amazing. She wasn’t artistic but she was genuine and so kind!
5. Rika Kihira: Her technical skills are impressive but I think what really appeals to me is her obvious love for skating. She seems like a simple, hardworking and kind girl.

Men
1 Shoma: he may lack technical perfection but with Patrick retiring I think he has the best SS in the current crop of skaters. He is so musical and never gives 70% he gives 120%. He is tiny but his presence is huge.
2. Daisuke Takahasi : same reasons as Shoma and other reasons listes by other fans
3. Yuzuru Hanyu because he is GOAT.
4. Machida
5. Kazuki Tomono: I really enjoyed his World’s performance. I see so much potential

sakurano

Final Flight
I have a lot of Japanese skaters favorite but if I had to put my top will be

1 - Kanako Murakami I like its freshness and it is with her that I started to support the Japanese ladies, thanks to her Zorro

2- Mao Asada because she is a great fighter and I also like the relationship of japan sisters Akiko / Mao / Kanako that's what I miss

3- Satoko Miyahara for her perseverance and her art, she tries to do new things despite her shyness

4 'Wakaba Higuchi very well because it is unique and proves that we do not need to be a ballerina for skating.

it's harder because I really like the other 6 Yuna Shiraiwa, Rika Hogo, Marin Honda, Rika Kihara, Mihara Mai, Moa Iwano, Kaori Sakamoto they all have something special and despite some fighting to stay in Top they are always here and they all have a different style

For men it's easier

1- Yuzuru Hanyu
2- Shoma Uno
3- Daisuke Taakahashi
4- Nobunari Oda I like his humor
5- Keiji Tanaka

SamuraiKike

Medalist
01. Mao Asada - I wont say im the biggest fan ever but I can't deny the quality
02. Shizuka Arakawa - Lots of ups and dows but the ups were fantastic
03. Akiko Suzuki - Amazing programs
04. Yukari Nakano - A shame that no one has mentioned her yet, so underrated and Im still not over 2008 Worlds.
05. Mai MIhara - On her way to become a big fave of mine.

01. Tatsuki Machida - Drama with passion
02. Takahiko KOzuka - Thos skills!!!
03. Yuzuru Hanyu - When he's on he leaves you speechless
04. Daisuke Takahashi - A master of charisma
05. Nobunari Oda - Always had the softest spot for him.

iorii

On the Ice
Satoko Miyahara : overflowing grace
Marin Honda : makes everything look weightless

Shoma Uno : a 'dark prince' on ice
Yuzuru Hanyu : no need to explain
Tatsuki Machida : agreed with SamuraiKike, 'drama with passion' indeed

Would love to include Mao, Akiko, and Daisuke but I didn't follow their career and didn't do enough catching up. Though they are undeniably very charismatic skaters.

Winry

On the Ice
Men

1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Shoma Uno
3. Daisuke Takahashi
4. Nobunari Oda

Ladies

1. Mao Asada
2. Mai Mihara
3. Wakaba Higuchi
4. Kaori Sakamoto

echeveria

3a-1/2lo-3f
On the Ice
1. Mao Asada
2. Kanako Murakami
3. Wakaba Higuchi
4. Satoko Miyahara
5. Miki Ando

1. Shoma Uno
2. Daisuke Takahashi
3. Yuzuru Hanyu
4. Nobunari Oda
5. Keiji Tanaka

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Tiny queen Satoko and that guy in my avatar.

Tiny queen because, her technical issues aside, she's so beautiful on ice and I love love LOVE her layback spin.

Yuzuru, because before him, I was a 4 year Olympic skating fan. He changed all that for me.