Favorite ladies programs this season | Golden Skate

Favorite ladies programs this season

russianfan

Match Penalty
After rewatching Tarakanova's SP once again i thought that there is still no short program in this season which i would've liked more.
So my choice:
SP: Anastasia Tarakanova, a very passionate performance that i still like to rewatch. Although there was also a fabulous performance by Alyona Kostornaya which i would put in my top as well.
FS: Definitely, Alina Zagitova's one is the top one for me :) But also Alexandra Trusova's and Wakaba Higuchi's ones are among my favorites.

What are your favorite ladies programs this season and why?

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
I first saw Higuchi's Skyfall program in the Rostelecom cup, and it really changed my perception of her as merely a strong jumper. Along with Yuna's 2007 World LP and Koster's 2013 LP, it was one of those rare examples in which a blunder on a jump or two does not mar the impression of the quality of the skater owing simply to the solidity of skating and movements in consonance with the musical structure. Truly, her Bond LP is an epitome of a skater capitalizing on her strength to the utmost on the basis of a perfect vehicle, and I desperately wish to witness it in person next year in Pyeongchang.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wakaba's Skyfall. Modern, dynamic, transformative. It is the sort of program that can elevate a Junior skater into proper Senior ladies. That empowers the skater with a real 'feel' to give inspiring performances. That can elevate ladies figure skating beyond COP deficiencies or gender standards while at the same time celebrate them. It has balance, power, prestige, intelligence and wit. Bravo!

If I was to pick men's program. I simply love Nathen's superb pair of programs this year. Was surprised and delighted .

I am definitely picking Shae Lynn Bourne as the choreographer of the year, and all-round wonder. Well done you :clap: :cool2:
Lori could be 2nd, but she received -10 PCS for that horrible Starwar program for BoYang, I just can't get over it. Nobody can save that one.

I even quite like the Frida Kahlo program for Rika Hongo. They are very distinctively different characters, with their own flavour.
Leonova's Bollywood also deserve a mention. It is always nice to see people take a chance, try something new, get out of their comfort zone. Be different.
Mai's Tango is also a delightful surprise. Marin's SP, it is totally old school and I love it.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
SP : Evgenia Medvedeva -her best SP so far. I'm in love with this music and her interpretation

FS : Wakaba Higuchi - very strong program, beautiful choreo and shows all the best in Wakaba's skating. I can watch it several times and each time I find something new and nice in the choreography which I didn't notice before.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Both of Wakaba's programs are extremely smart and well packaged. I love how they highlight her strengths and she has improved as an interpreter of music. The two skaters who I think are on the top of their games in terms of interpreting music are:

1. Satoko in both programs: she is just special. From her musical sense, to the subtlety of her hands and her positions, Satoko is playing chess while others are playing checkers. She could do all doubles (and her doubles are stunning) and I would still watch because she's a genius on the ice as far as I'm concerned.

2. Carolina's long program. Caro gets a lot of flack for her scores but whatever. The Debussy piece she's interpreting is 10x harder to bring to life than the stuff most skaters are using. There are several wonderful poses Lori took from the ballet. I also love how some of the spins match the music and how Carolina brings the scene to life. The minimalism and focus on details is superb. Not many could pull it off.

treeloving

Medalist
First half of Evginia's sp is a master piece. I would say that it is Yuzuru's level -esque.

Mai's sp is choreographically very strong but it is more suitable for skater like Kira Korpi or Laura Lepisto.

Satoko's programs are nice as usual.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Loena Hendrickx's SP & LP
Eunsoo Lim SP & LP
Alexandra Trusova - 4 Seasons LP
Anastasia Tarakanova - Sarabande Suite LP
Evgenia - Anna Karenina LP

I like Wakaba's SP better than the LP...I can't stand Adele or Skyfall, unfortunately.

Really hope to see Ivett Toth's AC/DC program soon. I'm pretty sure that will be my new favorite.

lappo

Final Flight
Wakaba's LP is the only one I will probably rewatch in a couple of years.
There are others whose choreo is interesting but that so far haven't come together yet (Mai's SP - I find the choreo quite pleasing but I have expressed elsewhere doubts on the interpretation - totally hope that she can improve on it; Satoko's both programs have pleasing moments for me). Also, saw Giada Russo SP and found it quite interesting, despite (or maybe because) it being similar to her Red Violin masterpiece.
Like Silverfoxes, I'm eagerly waiting to see what Ivett Toth is going to do...she had one of my favourite programs last year. A bit bugged for Laurine Lecavalier, because her programs this year are not on par with their previous ones, imo.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Wakaba's Skyfall is my no.1 this year.

Kaori Sakamoto's Amelie.

Marin Honda's programs.

Satoko's SP, I wasn't excited when I heard she was skating to Memoirs of a Geisha but WOW. The music, the dress, the interpretation, all of it is just divine.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh dang, I have lots of favorites!
SPs:
Evgenia Medvedeva
Alina Zagitova (once she gets it perfect!)
Anastasia Tarakanova
Alena Kostornaya
Sofia Samodurova
Kaetlyn Osmond
Satoko Miyahara

LPs:
Evgenia Medvedeva
Alina Zagitova
Alexandra Trusova
ANASTASIA TARAKANOVA'S FS IS LITERALLY SO PERFECT OMG I CAN'T EVEN
Wakaba Higuchi
Mai Mihara
Alena Kostornaya
Daria Panenkova

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Loena Hendrickx's SP & LP
Eunsoo Lim SP & LP
Alexandra Trusova - 4 Seasons LP
Anastasia Tarakanova - Sarabande Suite LP
Evgenia - Anna Karenina LP

I like Wakaba's SP better than the LP...I can't stand Adele or Skyfall, unfortunately.

Really hope to see Ivett Toth's AC/DC program soon. I'm pretty sure that will be my new favorite.

Wakaba's LP is the only one I will probably rewatch in a couple of years.
There are others whose choreo is interesting but that so far haven't come together yet (Mai's SP - I find the choreo quite pleasing but I have expressed elsewhere doubts on the interpretation - totally hope that she can improve on it; Satoko's both programs have pleasing moments for me). Also, saw Giada Russo SP and found it quite interesting, despite (or maybe because) it being similar to her Red Violin masterpiece.
Like Silverfoxes, I'm eagerly waiting to see what Ivett Toth is going to do...she had one of my favourite programs last year. A bit bugged for Laurine Lecavalier, because her programs this year are not on par with their previous ones, imo.

yeeessss :hap57: its a shame se WDd from both of her events but hopefully it will be worth to wait :luv17:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
if i have to choose just one

SP - Evgenia Medvedeva. This sp is a masterpiece.
FS - it's more difficult. but. Alena Kostornaya.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wakaba, Wakaba, Wakaba... did I say Wakaba?

Now seriously, a few favorites this season:

SP
Wakaba Higuchi
Evgenia Medvedeva
Marin Honda
Kaetlyn Osmond
Satoko Miyahara

FS
Wakaba Higuchi (favorite program this season from ladies)
Kaori Sakamoto
Alena Kostornaya
Satoko Miyahara
Kailani Crane
Mai Mihara
Young You
Anastasia Tarakanova

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
SP : Evgenia Medvedeva -her best SP so far. I'm in love with this music and her interpretation

FS : Wakaba Higuchi - very strong program, beautiful choreo and shows all the best in Wakaba's skating. I can watch it several times and each time I find something new and nice in the choreography which I didn't notice before.

I would agree in principle. But to those 2 I would add:

SP - Tarakanova with her "escape from madhouse". Her final smile is just eery and it cannot but impress.
LP - Zagitova's DQ. She has brought it to perfection with her TdF skating. I already watched this program no less than 100 times and I am still not tired.

And, of course, both programs of Alyona Kostornaya who is the main new name this season, at least for me.

On the second thought, Tarakanova's FS is impressive as well when she can skate it clean. The powerful music perfectly fits her emotional skating.

madison

Record Breaker
SP- Kostornaya, Tarakanova, Kostner, Medvedeva and Zagitova (if she skates clean)
FP- Zagitova, Tarakanova, Wakaba ( when she's totally involved in)

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Wakaba's Skyfall without a doubt.

I assumed Ashley's La La Land to be in this category as a guilty pleasure, but it never became a thing. Shae Lynn has given us this instead.