Figure skating "trends" that you think will be outdated in the next few years? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Figure skating "trends" that you think will be outdated in the next few years?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
If they have to touch their blades they're going to wear gloves.
I personally don't have a problem seeing skaters wearing gloves; I always wore gloves (and still do) when skating...hey it's cold here in Canada in winter..

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Part of me wants to say “Anna’s Lutz” but the other part of me realizes that if that happens, this forum’s posts will go down by 80% at least.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
*Laybacks to beilmanns
Because they are so formulaic and not unique anymore, everybody does it. And sure, some do it well, but it's kinda boring now. Plus it damages the back. I find it amazing that mariah bell is 25 and has no back problems whatsoever.

readernick

Medalist
I personally don't have a problem seeing skaters wearing gloves; I always wore gloves (and still do) when skating...hey it's cold here in Canada in winter..
I rarely like it from an aesthetic prospective. However, certainly a skater protecting their hands from cuts and the cold is more important than my personal fashion preferences. 😂

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i'm with you for the voiceovers thing but not for the hair thing, i see nothing wrong with that, let people express themselves in the way they like, even if that doesn't flatter them :LOL:
I don't have a problem with it either, but I think it will run its course eventually.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
It can be cringey yes. Like whenever I see a baby pairs or ice dance team skate to “Hey Big Spender” that’s very cringey to me. But it’s not the lyrics fault.

The first costume change I remember was an ice dance team (I think. May have been pairs) skating a piece about cancer and the change made sense in that context. I tried to find it via Google but couldn’t.

I LOVE rotational lifts but they’re being over used.
Many ladies wear their tights that should be down in their boot (and really technically shouldn't even be wearing those kind of tights for competition b/c they are heavy practice tights), pulled down and it looks like crap. They need to wear proper competition tights that have a foot and go down in the boot.
Do some wear tights over the boots to cover laces? Taping the laces down us just plain ugly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do some wear tights over the boots to cover laces? Taping the laces down us just plain ugly.
Full on over the boot tights are fine. And not that's not the reason.

The ones I'm complaining about are bottomless thick practice tights that aren't over the boot tights. It looks lazy and messes up lines.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I rarely like it from an aesthetic prospective. However, certainly a skater protecting their hands from cuts and the cold is more important than my personal fashion preferences. 😂
Usually skaters wear gloves during practice and not during a test or a competition

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Usually skaters wear gloves during practice and not during a test or a competition
Try again, many skaters competing (looks towards Russian skaters lol) wear ones made of heavy lycra that are either nude to look like their hands (most are still noticeable) or ones that are constructed into sleeve of or to go with sleeve of costume so they aren't as noticeable (hopefully but rarely).

ETA-I was not picking on Russian skaters w/that comment.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the right amount is somewhere in the middle. The Button era was too stiff, too much arms looks flailing and often hides that little is going on with the feet. Most skaters don't have the skills that P/C have to do whaacking armography well and skate and should stick to arm movements that have a defined purpose or serve as accents to the music. Too many movements looks like the skater is constantly using them to say ta-da after every single stroke whether warranted or not.
This by the way was pretty much exactly what Dick Button said about most arm movements: they should have an intention and be used to emphasize musicality.

Of course that's a much nicer version than what Uncle Dick actually said...

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Try again, many skaters competing (looks towards Russian skaters lol) wear ones made of heavy lycra that are either nude to look like their hands (most are still noticeable) or ones that are constructed into sleeve of or to go with sleeve of costume so they aren't as noticeable (hopefully but rarely).

ETA-I was not picking on Russian skaters w/that comment.
I'm speaking from when I skated many years ago and also skated outdoors in Prince George, very cold. As I stated, wearing gloves in competition doesn't bother me.