Final ISU ratings | Golden Skate

Final ISU ratings

M

Mathman3

Final ISU ratings

Here is how the top men and ladies stack up after the 2003 season, according to the International Skating Union's rating system. This system awards points for results in major international competitions over the past four years.

Ladies:

Kwan 3780
Slutskyaya 3439
Cohen 3436
Hughes 3405
Vochkova 3220
Suguri 3235

Men:

Plushenko 4110
Goebel 3598
Yagudin 3464*
Honda 3312
Li 3294
Abt 2877

*Yagudin got 0 points in the 2002-2003 season, so this is his point total for only three years.

S

sk8guy2k2

Re: Final ISU ratings

Shouldn't Suguri be ahead of Volchkova?

D

DORISPULASKI

Men's

Obviously, other than Plushenko the men are in a time of regrouping when Yagudin is in 3rd what with not skating and Tim in 2nd when he missed the whole Grand Prix.

dpp

J

Joesitz

Re: ISU Ratings

I'm not at all sure on how they arrive at those numbers.

MK didn't skate more than 2 ISU comopetitions (Campbells and the Spring Thing are not ISU related.)

Sasha skated to 3 golds in ISU competitions plus silver in Nats. I don't know if 4th place gets any points.

And Yags didn't skate anything but a ProAm.

I'm not only unsure of how these points get collected but I don't see the value of them once determined.

Anyone can clue me in on these two points.

Joe

M

mathman444

Re: ISU Ratings

Correction: Volchkova should be 3240.

Joe, I wasn't able to figure it out from the information provided by the iSU:

www.icecalc.de/isu/ws/wsladies.htm

Michelle got 1200 points for winning worlds and 496 points for Skate America.

In 2001/2002 she got 1150 for Olympic bronze and world silver together (maybe also something for the placement in the Grand Prix Final?), and 375 and 319 points respectively for her win at Skate America and third at Skate Canada. (?) There must be some kind of weighting based on the strength of the field for GP events.

In 2000/2001 she got 1200 points for worlds, but only 70% of it (840 points) count in the weighted total. In 1999/2000 the weighting was 50%, so she got 600 points for worlds. So the idea is that the most recent two years counts most heavily.

What's the point of all this? None that I can tell, except to give math nuts like me something to occupy our time with between events.:lol:

Mathman

E

eltamina

Joesitz

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sasha skated to 3 golds in ISU competitions plus <strong>silver</strong> in Nats. I don't know if 4th place gets any points.[/quote]

I don't think medals at national competitions count, including Sasha's <span style="color:eek:range;font-size:medium;">bronze</span> this year. (Poor Sarah, she won <span style="color:white;font-size:medium;">silver</span> at nationals).

What is the point, to present figure skating as a real sports, since tennis, golf etc have ranking system, why not f.s.

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Congrats Michelle, Elena and Fumie</span>

M

mathman444

Re: Joesitz

Poor Sarah, indeed. Even Tatiana Tarasova thinks that Sasha won second place at U.S. Nationals this year. She was quoted as being proud that her skater came into the event as the acknowledged favorite, and that at least she didn't lose any ground, having finished second in both 2002 and now in 2003.

National competitions don't count in the ISU point totals, and I suppose that Europeans must not either, since that wouldn't be fair.

Mathman

E

eltamina

OT MM

You are posting during a red wing / ducks game? :rollin:

J

Joesitz

Re: OT MM

I can understand the desire for stats as with other sports but other sports have a point for their stats. Seeds in Tennis are important. In figure skating the seeds for a worlds are divided on the basis of the last result in worlds.

I prefer stats on first to land a whatever; and who are on the list for landing quads; who has the most Worlds' gold; which country is in the lead for medals, etc., etc. This point system doesn't do it for me unless it is wiped out every year after the results are finalized. I would still not be impressed.

Joe

C

Cherub72182

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>National competitions don't count in the ISU point totals, and I suppose that Europeans must not either, since that wouldn't be fair.[/quote]

Europeans and Four Continents both count, so there's nothing unfair about it.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

That's true Cherub. Technically, it is very fair. However, it still *feels* unfair. For one, the continental USA is geographically similiar in size as Europe. Another thing is that the travel distance a skater might have to go to Europeans would be about the same as a skater traveling to Nationals. Then since the 4 Continents are consisted of Asia, N. America, Australia, and Africa, then they could be held anywhere in those 4 continents and the traveling would be much further than one would have to travel for Europeans.

But, after all that...it is still technically fair to have Europeans count and not Nationals. There is no grounds to change anything.

M

Mathman3

Eltamina, The Red Wings are down 2 games to none!

Cherub, do you know the full point system for these ratings?

Joe, think of it like batting averages or something like that. At the end of the year somebody wins the batting title. Yay!

Mathman

J

Joesitz

OK, Mathman - Batting Averages are just that averages. What if a skater skates only l ISU event and wins, then, hypothetically becomes ill or injured for the rest of the season.
Is the skater then put in first place for averaging out the 1 win?

BTW, I didn't realize that these points are factored according to the importance of the event. So MK beats out SC with only two events where SC won 3 events.

Ok, MM, you enjoy these stats. I would still be linterested in who landed the most quads in one season.

Joe

N

nicolemarina

Sorry, but Europe includes the WHOLE Russia, so its territory is much bigger then US.

B

berthes ghost

" Sorry, but Europe includes the WHOLE Russia" in theory only.

Could you please provide me with some examples of Russian skaters from the far east of Russia? No? I didn't think so.

N

nicolemarina

Plush is from Volgograd. It`s not far east but far enough.

K

kwansong999

I thought he trains/lives in St. Petersburg?!?!

M

Mathman3

Re: Asia

Well, the original post (by Thizfyavietgrl) was comparing the geographical extent of Europeans with Four Continents. Russia (even including the part that is in Asia) is smaller than North America, Asia, Africa, and Australia combined, so competitors have to travel farther to Four Continents.

I don't know if that has anything to to with these ratings (except insofar as it is one of the factors why some of the top U.S. skaters don't go to Four Continents), but when I looked this up I did notice this. The former Soviet Republic of Uzbekistan (it borders on Afghanistan) now counts as being in Asia. They sent a skater to Four Continents (Anastasia Gimazetdinova -- she finished ninth).

I suppose that a Russian skater from the part of Russia that is in Asia (most of it) would still count as "European."

Four Continents had two skaters from Mexico this year. I wonder what would happen if a South American country wanted to participate. Would they expand it to "Five Continents?"

Mathman

P

Princess Leppard 625

Re: Asia

Plush is actually from Siberia, then he moved to Volgograd, then to St. Petersburg.

Laura :)