Fitter in Austin area? | Golden Skate

Fitter in Austin area?

Littlerain

Rinkside
I have not been skating for several years and moved to Austin two years ago. I signed up for adult learn to skate and had thought last time I was taking lessons that I probably needed new skates soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have not been skating for several years and moved to Austin two years ago. I signed up for adult learn to skate and had thought last time I was taking lessons that I probably needed new skates soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go?
hi and welcome! The best fitter in that area that is going to be a pro fitter that is 2.5 hours away in Houston at Houston Skate and Sport Orth.
HOUSTON SKATE AND SPORTS ORTHOTICS CTR
11231 RICHMOND AVE
SUITE D 102
HOUSTON TX 77082
(832) 778-8799
[email protected]

If you give us some info such has height/weight, foot shape/style (look this up), arches: v. high/high/reg/low/very low and skating level (skills), we can suggest a few boot brands/styles that would work for your current needs.

Last edited:

Littlerain

Rinkside
Ah thank you so much for your response!

I am 36 years old, female, about 95 pounds and just under 5’6”. I know, I’m tiny, it runs in the family 🥲. I saw in another thread the foot types and I think I would be between Egyptian and Greek (one foot is more Greek, lol). I’m not sure how to tell about my arches but I do have arches

If I remember correctly I had completed adult 6 last time around and was working on whatever was after that. I signed up for adult 5 because I’m sure I need to refresh some skills.

Littlerain

Rinkside
Oh and I’m currently wearing a pair of reidell’s that I think might have been appropriate for my level but must’ve been purchased in like 2011. It says reidell TS on the lace and the blade is an aspire xp. The toe area never seemed quite right and one foot would often feel uncomfortable after skating a while, but I can’t recall what specifically was uncomfortable but may be able to tell you after I do a public skate this weekend!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah thank you so much for your response!

I am 36 years old, female, about 95 pounds and just under 5’6”. I know, I’m tiny, it runs in the family 🥲. I saw in another thread the foot types and I think I would be between Egyptian and Greek (one foot is more Greek, lol). I’m not sure how to tell about my arches but I do have arches

If I remember correctly I had completed adult 6 last time around and was working on whatever was after that. I signed up for adult 5 because I’m sure I need to refresh some skills.

Oh and I’m currently wearing a pair of reidell’s that I think might have been appropriate for my level but must’ve been purchased in like 2011. It says reidell TS on the lace and the blade is an aspire xp. The toe area never seemed quite right and one foot would often feel uncomfortable after skating a while, but I can’t recall what specifically was uncomfortable but may be able to tell you after I do a public skate this weekend!
Ok then brands would more than likely be Graf, Risport, possibly Edea if you don't mind the looser ankle.
Knowing the height of your arches is more important for confirming what brands would be best.

Littlerain

Rinkside
I made it to a public session and can confirm I still have some discomfort in the toe area. It’s manageable for now but I will see how it goes through the next few weeks. I’ve already told hubby we need to take a trip to Houston eventually 😅. Might as well make a weekend of it!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's not the greatest way to figure out your arches but I'll take it for now (fitter in houston can tell you for sure), but sounds like you have a normal to high arch? Risport may be your best choice.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To determine your arch type, you wet your feet and then step on a piece of paper. The shape of your footprint determines your arch type.

link to footprint pictures

Seeing the pictures, I didn't even need to do the test. I know what my footprint looks like from years of seeing my wet footprints on floors.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
To determine your arch type, you wet your feet and then step on a piece of paper. The shape of your footprint determines your arch type.

link to footprint pictures

Seeing the pictures, I didn't even need to do the test. I know what my footprint looks like from years of seeing my wet footprints on floors.
I already knew I have excessively high arches -- even less of a mark than that shown on the chart. Good thing no one told my parents when I was little that I shouldn't be doing activities that involved a lot of impact and jumping. I would have missed a lot of fun in my years of skating, gymnastics, Highland dance..... :bsplit:

Littlerain

Rinkside
I booked an appt in Houston for the weekend after next! I’m excited! In terms of models, should I be looking at the risport Electra / RF3 or jackson freestyles (if the brands do indeed work for me) or am I off on my understanding of what might be appropriate?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I booked an appt in Houston for the weekend after next! I’m excited! In terms of models, should I be looking at the risport Electra / RF3 or jackson freestyles (if the brands do indeed work for me) or am I off on my understanding of what might be appropriate?
Risport is going to work best for your feet based on what you have told me about them as well as my previous experience and knowledge: Try RF3 Pro and Royal Pro b/c they fit differently.
You could try Jackson, but definitely not the Freestyle which won't be stiff enough for you. You would need something more like the Synergy Pro.

Know that with these boots you will also need blade purchased separately: A good intermediate blade would be the traditional version of MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck! :)

Littlerain

Rinkside
Thank you for the advice! Looking forward to trying Risport as I trust you are accurate in your recommendation and I’ve never tried the brand. Also signed up for a private lesson on Saturday and I’m hoping this coach works for me / our schedules work. Yay!

Littlerain

Rinkside
I ended up getting risport rf3 with coronation ace!! Exciting!

I tried on jackson freestyles, entre and debut - but that last one was more for size than boot. Right off the bat my toes were so much more comfortable compared to my current skates. I also tried the edea chorus, but in comparison to the RF3 I thought that the RF3 fit the shape of my foot a bit better (as @Ic3Rabbit suggested!). The fitter thought I needed a smaller size of the edea anyway so I went for the risport!

When I asked about the coronation ace, they also offered the legacy blades that were comparable to the ace. I think they were the lite version too, but I think the person that was helping me was just trying to give some options at a slightly lower price and just in case they were out of the coronation ace. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway I feel like it was a great experience and I can’t wait to try them on ice! Now I need to go find threads about breaking in my new skates!

Also kind of interesting, I was almost the last customer and Patti had some Edeas that she had cut out parts of. It was interesting to see!