Former coach Gilles Beyer charged with sexual assault | Golden Skate

Former coach Gilles Beyer charged with sexual assault

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been trying to respond to this message and article several times this evening. I got emotional and then deleted my earlier responses which were just too stirring, too raw. I empathise with these athletes so much. But it's one thing to force a kid physically, it's another to send a dick pic (sorry for the wording).

I deleted my responses not because I am not horrified by Beyer's activities in themselves, which are awfully painful and harrowing to read about, and I realise that many people would be as terribly shocked (as I am, ever since I read about what Sarah put forward), but because I've also read quite a few articles on the subject in which Morgan Ciprès and this Gilles Beyer are suggested to be linked together in their actions. Like here: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1102839/beyer-charged-over-sexual-assaults Suggested, it doesn't say so explicitly.

Apart from their shared nationality, they are not. Whatever we think about Ciprès, as far as I know he did not physically assault anyone. He acted in a horrible way towards a 13-yr-old, and deserves to be punished for the pain he caused, but nowhere have I seen any statements about him actually physically assaulting a young, under age, skater. Or an adult one for that matter. Not to downplay what Morgan did, but I do think there is a big difference between them. This Gilles guy is a rapist - according to the reports, which is so much worse than showing your genitals on social media although that is disgusting and could be traumatising to a young girl. Calling both these crimes 'sexual assault', as has been happening makes one feel they did exactly the same thing. They didn't. I am disgusted by what Morgan did, I feel personally attacked by what this Gilles guy did for so long. I compare Gilles to Nasser. I think Morgan can be redeemed.

If the moderators wish to delete this post or if anyone wants to report me: go ahead. I won't be offended.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think these are situations in which we can all agree that one behavior is worse than the other, while also acknowledging that both are unacceptable and have no place in skating.
Yes, absolutely. And the reason that BOTH are described as sexual assault is because both ARE sexual assault. That's the reason why laws on sexual assault often use "degree" designations to differentiate between various situations: physical/nonphysical; ages of those involved; whether violence (in addition to the assault) was involved; whether blackmail or another threat (such as loss of job or skating status) was involved.

brightphoton

Medalist
The most important person in abuse situations is the victim. I'd go as far as to say that they're the only person who really matters. And one thing that doesn't help them is a culture where it's ok to trot out what happened to the court of public opinion so people can discuss whether or not their abuse was really "that bad" and whether it warrants attention, sympathy, or whatever.