Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Charlie and Meryl.... That's a competitor(s) for you. Dick Button used to always say, that every top skater needs to go through some sort of disaster performance, because simply - it happens to everyone at one point or another. The KEY is come back the next day, and show your stuff. Good for Charlie to pulling it off, and good for Meryl for being there right by his side whether it was happy we skated so well "kiss" or I really want to "cry"
So very true. That's what I said over in the OD thread...it says so much for their partnership that they can come through this and skate like they did in the FD. I admire Meryl so much for being so supportive of Charlie...much better than giving him a "death glare". Of course, disaster skates happen and consistency has always been a strength of theirs. I'm sure this will only strengthen their partnership and they will put this behind them for good.

Tesla

Final Flight
It reminds me of when Tara Lipinski bombed her first worlds then came back and won the next year.

Thanks for that. The most interesting part is that he explains that D&S were the only team that were performing a specific step correctly in the CD and that's why they got big TES.
i must have missed it in reading. What exactly was the specific step in the CD that no Senior dancer could correctly do but D&S? I can understand D&S as doing it the best as an opinion, but the word correctly gets to me with so many senior dancers.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
i must have missed it in reading. What exactly was the specific step in the CD that no Senior dancer could correctly do but D&S? I can understand D&S as doing it the best as an opinion, but the word correctly gets to me with so many senior dancers.

He called it the "6 step"...I don't CD patterns very well so I don't know when it occurs in the dance. Something about staying on an outside edge.

missysays

On the Ice
Here's a pattern description of the dance as well as a step diagram.

I think it is that step where (if you're facing the skaters from the judge's vantage point) the dancers are at the front left part of the pattern and the man moves from a back arabesque to a front one and the lady mirrors him by moving from a front arabesque to a back one. They swing through and the whole time should both be on an outside edge but some skaters if they rush the timing munge the outside edge especially the lady so sometimes they're on no edge or even stepping a bit on the inside because of the momentum of the swinging free leg.

Small details that only a real dancer would pick up on. I feel like I want to go back and watch the CDs again now to see if I can pick up on it.

Interesting stuff.

I'm sure Senior skaters can hold a back outside edge, especially dancers. It is in every dance. It must have been something else.

dancemaster

On the Ice
I'm sure Senior skaters can hold a back outside edge, especially dancers. It is in every dance. It must have been something else.
don't be so sure
in fact allot of senior couple in CD don't always achieve the correct pattern or edges, not to mention positions ,
Because CD is a art in it self,very hard to master.

Last edited:
don't be so sure
in fact allot of senior couple in CD don't always achieve the correct pattern or edges, not to mention positions ,
Because CD is a art in it self,very hard to master.
totally agree with you, but at the Senior Level, an incomple curve on a basic must have been because of a rut in the ice. If, however, the couple can not finish the curve, then they should not be in Seniors.

dancemaster

On the Ice
totally agree with you, but at the Senior Level, an incomple curve on a basic must have been because of a rut in the ice. If, however, the couple can not finish the curve, then they should not be in Seniors.
NOT that simple
have a look at the pattern of the dance and the position of the skaters ,in that particular edge, maybe then you will begin to understand why couples may have some problems
it doesn't have any thing to do with rut on ice