Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 349 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

brigit66

On the Ice
H.Gordon Półtorak + Elek is a splendid way to knock out PC from the main contenders for gold. It is obvious and dont tell me I am overacting. Europeans will be in Tallin, Estonia> Why there again? Close to Russia., Just like in 2019 , they will make of europeans their own nationals, just before Olys to make sure their skater get as highest PB they can get because they know they can do that there.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I hope the FD is worked on more. I think the camera work helped here to get a better view of some of the choreographic nuances, but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.

Bcash

Final Flight
I'm not sure I like Gabi's hair done this way for the program. I know the mood of the music is reflective and somber but..there could be other hairstyles that play into that right? And I still don't quite get their costumes especially hers.

And again Gabi seems to have had some degree of discomfort with her feet in the KnC.

Last edited:

Fortuna

Spectator
Country
Canada
I hope the FD is worked on more. I think the camera work helped here to get a better view of some of the choreographic nuances, but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.
I’d be interesting in having someone speak about the choreographic nuances for those of us who’d like to learn more. In a recent interview they commented that they’ve been moving closer and closer to performances that better reflect who they are.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I’d be interesting in having someone speak about the choreographic nuances for those of us who’d like to learn more. In a recent interview they commented that they’ve been moving closer and closer to performances that better reflect who they are.
I hope somebody else does. I have got a lot on my plate currently :(

peepsquick

Final Flight
For what it’s worth, a friend (former professional dancer in a respected dance company) asked me, back in 2018 after watching P/C’s performance for the first time : “Are they a couple (in real life too)?”
I guess it is the bigotry or maybe also hypocrisy that gets to me! The sheer assumption that only heterosexuals are able to portray love ...

Roast Toast

Medalist
It's been the party line in that camp for a while now, there are Zhulin interview implying as much from the 2018/2019 season onwards. Like you guys said, it demonstrably doesn't affect the public, and there's nothing we can do about the judging side of things. Better to ignore it.

Fortuna

Spectator
Country
Canada
You are totally right and Gabi and Guillaume have been trying to push ice dance to go beyond the constraints of the traditional norm: man in woman in love and frozen in their traditional roles.
What struck me most about these remarks was not the sexist and homophobic ranting of an old Russian man (nothing new there) but rather his admission that they are really good skaters who have reemerged in good form. Add to that the imagination and creativity you mention and they do pose a serious threat.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Why do people on this forum feel their FD is a reimagination of a tango? :scratch2: I only noticed a couple of the holds looked somewhat alike?

Maybeyesmaybeno

Rinkside
Why do people on this forum feel their FD is a reimagination of a tango? :scratch2: I only noticed a couple of the holds looked somewhat alike?

I’m extremely surprised that fans of Papadakis/Cizeron dancing style seem to be so cautious, or even so far away from understanding the beauty of their last FD on Gabriel Fauré music.

This program is just the essence of what they have always tried to do and express in their dances, in the past 7 years.

The first part, up to the twizzles, is a tango. The couple plunge into the music and try to emphasize the intensity and the gravity of the cello melody. The ponctuation with typical tango moves such as sharp head or leg moves, are there to spice up ( like chili does it to a meal) and to impulse a beat into the long lament of the cello. To give it life. Let’s say, it could be when you first meet someone, you try to know them, you test them, you challenge them to decide if yes or no, you will dance more than just a tango.

The second part of the dance is the lyrical part. No more tension. The couple is just like butterflies flying, playing together softly from one flower to another. The arms and bodies are soft, very flexible. From sharpness, straight lines we enter into circular steps, enlacing, entwining and unentwining. The fever grows up to the step line of character(?) where the energy explodes in these movements which Involve the whole body, from head to fingertips, from navel to foot.

Then begins the third and last part: melancholy et “abandon”. (letting go)
It is no longer two persons falling in love but just one being, feeling together, living together in unison. Gabriella is totally relying on Guillaume. She seems to forget herself on every lift, on every move. There is no more game, no power game ( tango). You can understand it as the melancholic memory of a past idealised love or you can understand it as the peaceful relationship of an ideal loving couple. Anyhow, the end is just serenity.

You find in this program all the emotions they have been exploring since their Mozart score. Not so much anger ( like in Odduada or Yama...) maybe even if the fever of extreme feelings are also present. They don’t “play” the music, they feel it for us. We just have to let us go. And if some prefer to see friendship ( real one) than love, it works perfectly as well. Some intellectual friendships can be as strong and tumultuous than love stories.

This is just a masterful program on a enchanting, bewitching cello lamento.

At this moment of the season, Guillaume is clearly the star of the program and Gabriella still needs to make her mark on it. The beginning needs to be more intensively interpreted, less artificial. But it has all the ingredient of a masterpiece on a piece of music less common and easy than the usual pieces of classical music used in ice skating.

Just hope prejudices won’t spoil the season.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The first part, up to the twizzles, is a tango. The couple plunge into the music and try to emphasize the intensity and the gravity of the cello melody. The ponctuation with typical tango moves such as sharp head or leg moves, are there to spice up ( like chili does it to a meal) and to impulse a beat into the long lament of the cello. To give it life. Let’s say, it could be when you first meet someone, you try to know them, you test them, you challenge them to decide if yes or no, you will dance more than just a tango.
Really? That wasn't my read on it at all. I don't think a few head/leg flicks and holds make a tango. Also, the posters seem to think the entire thing is a reimagination of a tango, which I don't see at all, and you don't describe it that way either (just the first part).
At this moment of the season, Guillaume is clearly the star of the program and Gabriella still needs to make her mark on it.

This is different from my read too. Gabriella is giving more colour to the piece in terms of performance for me.