Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 351 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Eleanor

On the Ice
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said about them....I can't dislike what they do no matter how hard I try ^^.
Starting with the RD: it's getting bigger and more exciting. I can't wait to see it performed at the olympics with all that adrenaline and excitement. I think they made the right choice with the change of music: they lost a lot less momentum than before. The pattern looks more intricate and elaborate. The costumes are also much better. That color really looks amazing on Gabby. And, I know I should not say that, but it but, dang Guillaume is HOT as fire in those leather pants. Only him can pull it of.
Now the FD: I was a bit nitpicky and sadly that has not changed. There are moments in the FD that are magic. The beginning drags you in. It makes you feel the melancholia and the longing. The, something brutally stops before that controversial lift. Poor Gabby is holding on to life like I've never seen her do. It still looks uncomfortable and out of place. Add to that, the lack of purpose of the steps before the lift, and the whole section looks dull. In comparison to MS where every single movement had a meaning, it's a bit of a letdown. The middle section is ok although I wished it was more intricate. Then, once again, something just stops. They do a lot of crossovers without meaning before the spin. They gain unnecessary speed and it loses me again. I wished they could find something creative before going into a spin they do so well. Then we have the mesmerizing entry into the curve lift. Gosh, that moment is out of this world. It's so beautiful, it goes so well with the music. It's these kind of moments when time just stops that makes me love P/C. But once again, they lose me. I don't understand why there is that small lift after the twizzles and just before the rotational lift (that is again, breathtaking in its purity and simplicity) that adds nothing to the program as a whole and looks weird before another lift. And the end is beautiful, as always.
To me, there are some construction issues on the program that I don't think I've ever noticed in any of their dances since their move to Gadbois. Everything seemed always so polished, so well thought, so well put together that it always felt like one piece of art. In Elegie, there are several beautiful pictures in my head and blank walls in between. And this hasn't really changed since their first showing so I m afraid this is the ultimate version of this dance. Time will tell.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I feel like the issue is that they tried to shove bits of the tango program they liked into the new dance and it doesn't always work. Hopefully they are getting a hint from the judges (even if it doesn't show in the marks); they certainly changed the RD around very quickly. Overall the season definitely feels different than 2018, where MS just felt like such a strong vehicle from the start, but they are in a very different place mentally and as competitors. I think there is an element of "competing to not lose" instead of fighting for the win against V/M.

Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
I feel like the issue is that they tried to shove bits of the tango program they liked into the new dance and it doesn't always work. Hopefully they are getting a hint from the judges (even if it doesn't show in the marks); they certainly changed the RD around very quickly. Overall the season definitely feels different than 2018, where MS just felt like such a strong vehicle from the start, but they are in a very different place mentally and as competitors. I think there is an element of "competing to not lose" instead of fighting for the win against V/M.
I agree. I know they liked how they felt skating to that Tango RD and they wanted to keep some of the Tango FD from last season while using this piece of music they always wanted to use. But there’s certainly the risk of fitting together two things conceived separately.

Normart

Rinkside
Tire de: "CLERMONT, Infos 63"

GUILLAUME CIZERON: "THIS OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL IS A TRUE OBSESSION"

Guillaume Cizeron and his partner Gabriella Papadakis won the French Open in Grenoble at the end of November. The vices Olympic champions 2018 are projected on the final of the Grand Prix but especially on the 2022 Olympics in Beijing.

AFTER THIS VICTORY IN GRENOBLE AT THE FRENCH INTERNATIONAL, WHAT IS YOUR ASSESSMENT OF THIS BEGINNING OF THE SEASON?

We got off to a good start to the season, it went crescendo with national and then international competition, then the Grands Prix. It got us back in the game in a gentle way and in terms of scores we are quite satisfied. Progress is good, there is still a lot of work to do but we are on the right track. There is the Grand Prix final in Osaka on the weekend of December 9. We're getting ready for that. This Grand Prix is a bit like a World Cup and this final features the top ten couples who will fight for the title at the start of the season.

IS IT THE LAST BIG COMPETITION BEFORE THE BEIJING OLYMPIC GAMES (FEBRUARY 4 TO 20, 2022)?

It is very important but we will also have the European Championships in January in Tallinn. After that it will be the games. This year, we don't really have any rivals in Canada but it will be Russians Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov.

WHEN THERE ARE OLYMPIC GAMES IN PERSPECTIVE, HOW DO WE TALK ABOUT THESE COMPETITIONS?

The Olympic year is special because all the competitions that take place are stages leading to the games, so we really have the Olympic Games in our sights. It does not matter less but we take each competition as a test for this objective.

THE GOLD MEDAL IS THE ONLY TITLE THAT IS MISSING FROM YOUR WINNERS. IS IT AN OBSESSION?

For us, the gold medal is really the goal. After landing the silver four years ago, that's really our goal. Yes we can speak of an obsession because we organize our lives around this objective. It's a career, life goal and we don't really see beyond Beijing at the moment.

THE PERFORMANCES YOU DO WITH GABRIELLA PAPADAKIS ARE THE ONE YOU WILL FIND AT THE OLYMPICS WHERE WE ADVANCE HIDDEN?

There will be changes as we go along because we sometimes change things over time. But it will be much the same program. It's not the music that makes the program that's for sure. I think we could use any music ... The choice is made by feeling, we explore several options. At the start of the season we wonder where we want to go choreographically. For the long program there is a theme imposed each year. This year it was hip-hop so we chose a dance technique, Waacking, which was not very well known to the general public. From this theme we chose the music that we allowed to have a global concept. The project has to work, it's a bit like a puzzle. For the free, we wondered if, if this would be our last program, what we would like to skate and have fun on. Élégie by Gabriel Fauré is one of my favorite pieces and I had already proposed it. It had never been the right time. It brings together all the aspects that we wanted in the program. If we like it, people will enjoy watching it. Even more this year because it could be the end of our career, in any case we are getting closer, we have not really decided. We made a selfish choice by taking songs that touched us. We wanted to have
fun above all. By doing this, it is the best way to win. When we are touched by what we do.

WHAT ARE THE SECRETS OF A COUPLE THAT LASTS ON ICE?

It is an art. We've been skating together for 17 years and we've known each other even longer. We know each other very well, that's one of the reasons for this success. We cannot avoid tensions but we have learned to communicate. We were helped by our mental trainer with whom we have worked a lot for the last six years. It's a bit like couples therapy. We have had a great bond from the start and this has continued over the years. There is a real pleasure to skate together and there is this common goal that holds us together. Everything is based on our relationship, so if it doesn't hold up, there isn't much that works. We have to make our couple walk but it's not difficult, we have always had fun doing it. We were friends before we skated.

HOW IS YOUR LIFE IN CANADA?

We really love Montreal, we've been here for eight years, it's our adopted city, we feel at home. Life and training are easy, the language made things easier and we found a second family. We were welcomed from the first days. We have our life between here and France.

LAST SPRING, YOU PUBLISHED "MY MOST BEAUTIFUL VICTOIRE", A BOOK THAT TALKS ABOUT YOUR HOMOSEXUALITY AND YOUR BACKGROUND. WHAT WERE THE RETURNS?

I have had really positive feedback from people who have written to me personally. Even in the skating industry, it got some people interested. It's long gone, I don't really care that much but every once in a while I have people who share their experience and how they find parallels between their life and what I have written. This comforts me in the reasons which pushed me to write this book.

Normart

Rinkside
18/12/21 Championnat Elite France 2021: There was an error from Gabrielle due to a loss of space marks due to the changes, but the changes are very, very interesting! To be continued...

peepsquick

Final Flight
18/12/21 Championnat Elite France 2021: There was an error from Gabrielle due to a loss of space marks due to the changes, but the changes are very, very interesting! To be continued...

Thanks @ Normart!:pray:

Batsuchan

Medalist
For what it's worth, here's an interview with Catherine Papadakis from Russia's MatchTV:

Here's a tidbit (via GoogleTranslate):
- What is your favorite program from the Papadakis / Cizeron repertoire?

- This season's rhythmic dance. Everything is perfect in it - music, rhythms, and movements in unison. The skaters accelerate, then stop a little, but after 2-3 steps they ride again at an insane speed. In the middle of the dance, they perform amazing choreographic movements and then start with complex steps. Everything is very fast until the last second. This is an excellent program! In general, I love how Gaby and Guillaume think over each dance and live in it.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The following is from CBC television's broadcast of Worlds with Kurt Browning and Carol Lane as commentators (no rhythm dances were aired). I had to upload the duo's free dance on Streamable because it was rejected by Dailymotion due to the music.

2022 Worlds FD (CBC TV 720p):

2022 Worlds Post-FD Discussion + Post-FD Interview + Medal Ceremony Clip (CBC TV 720p):

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
These vids are less significant, but Gabrella & Guillaume are discussed in both.

2022 Worlds Opening Montage + Ice Dance Discussion + RD Recap (CBC TV 720p):

2022 Worlds FD Group 4 Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p):

Coco66

Spectator