Goebel withdraws | Golden Skate

Goebel withdraws

brenlynn

On the Ice
Timothy Goebel withdraws from Nationals

i feel horrible for him :( you can tell he's truly upset by all of this. it sounds like he's not even going to go to worlds, or try to get a bye for it. i wish him a speedy recovery and i hope he can get back on top of his game.

us nationals always has some surprise element of drama, and this year has not been any exception at all!

Last edited:
Oh, that's heartbreaking! Thanks for posting that Brenlynn. I wonder what anatomical problems he's talking about?

It makes sense though. Tim's SP was so bad that as I was thinking about it, I thought there's no way this could be just a mental meltdown or boot problems. Tim may have problems with his skating, but generally he's consistent

Poor Tim. He must feel just awful. He seems to me like a genuine, thoughtful, and caring guy and I've loved seeing him blossom as a skater since the Olympics. Best of luck, Tim!
Rgirl

This is terrible. What could it possibly be? Something wrong with his feet? I sure hope this is not another career-threatening hip situation.

Mathman

brenlynn

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I sure hope this is not another career-threatening hip situation.

Mathman

omg... i didn't even think about that. im keeping tim in my prayers, that would just be horrible. i've lost enough of my faves to hip injuries, we need to keep some healthy!

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
I am heartbroken. Just...wow. I feel so bad for him. I was so hoping that he would skate great and move up. I had an errie feeling about him withdrawing though. I just hope that everything works out in the end. He's way too talented and has come way too far for this. Best wishes and my prayers Timothy!

Courtney

Blue Bead

Medalist
While Tim's withdrawal is terribly sad, it isn't unexpected. I, too, am wondering about the "distinct changes" to the anatomical structure of his feet. I'm wondering if the problems that have been plaguing him with his boots have, indeed, changed the way the bones in his feet are aligned. Thus, causing him pain. Anybody have any medical knowledge about such things as this?

Blue Bead

guinevere

Final Flight
Are you sure that the 'distinct changes' are to his feet? He didn't say so, and with all the attention to his boot problems this season, I think he would have said so if the changes were in his feet.

I'm very sad for Tim and hope he is able to use the next few months to recover. I look forward to seeing him next season.

guinevere

Rachael

On the Ice
Very sad but not unexpected. I know he'll take of it and come back stronger next season.

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
On the USFSA site it says that he's giving a press conference after the pairs final, which if I'm correct, should probably be over by now.

Courtney

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is truly sad. He seems like such a personable young man....42

Blue Bead

Medalist
Guinevere, I'm assuming that Tim is referring to his feet because of this exact quote taken from the article at the USFSA website, "distinct changes to my antatomical structure". Since he has been having serious problems with his boots it would stand to reason that any "distinct changes" to "anatomical structure" would mean his feet. With all the little bones in the foot any boot problems would directly affect the relationship of those bones over time.

Blue Bead

April

Rinkside
Not Surprised

I saw this coming. After Wednesday, why would he skate if he couldn't even medal. Also, I don't think his boot issue has anything to do with withdrawing. He skated like a novice and that is enough reason to withdraw, esp. for a bronze olympic medalist. He was humiliated. I hope he's better next season.

amykaren

On the Ice
I didn't realize that this kind of thing could happen. I mean, don't they have things like equipment down to a science now? I guess I just don't know enough about it.

So sad for Tim. It's like his talent was taken away from him through no fault of his own. My prayers and thoughts are with him. I hope they work hard to correct whatever is going on and get him back on his feet again. IMHO he is the best USA male figure skater that we have right now.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I tend to think it is more then equipment problems. When you are not performing well it starts to get to the mind and then you lose confidence in what you are doing. I hope physically he is okey but I think there are other issues.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Feeling very sad for Tim and hoping that next season the problems will be over! I think that under his present condition with the problems it was courageous of him even to try to compete in US Nationals. Besides boot problems can cause all kind of injuries, which I hope have not become permanent for him. The guy has been practicing hard jumping.

Let´s hope that next season he will be on the scene better than ever...

Marjaana

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
skating equipment

amykaren said:
I didn't realize that this kind of thing could happen. I mean, don't they have things like equipment down to a science now? I guess I just don't know enough about it.

So sad for Tim. It's like his talent was taken away from him through no fault of his own. My prayers and thoughts are with him. I hope they work hard to correct whatever is going on and get him back on his feet again. IMHO he is the best USA male figure skater that we have right now.

While most sports have advanced by way of equipment, figure skating is a late bloomer. The old boots (the ones that covered most of the calf) didn't become shorter until the 80's. Those blades still look like the ones dick button used in the 40's...

Pati

On the Ice
Re: Not Surprised

April said:
I saw this coming. After Wednesday, why would he skate if he couldn't even medal. Also, I don't think his boot issue has anything to do with withdrawing. He skated like a novice and that is enough reason to withdraw, esp. for a bronze olympic medalist. He was humiliated. I hope he's better next season.

IMO, that was a bit rough and uncalled for. Timmy showed amazing maturity, and has been at the top for too long to just withdraw because he isn't skating good.

He did not skate like a novice. He skated like a champ with serious problems. They haven't stated exactly what those problems are (except for the fact that they are far more serious than previously thought) so where did you get that information?

Why wouldn't he skate if he couldn't medal? Ask all the other guys out there that won't medal, not now nor ever, yet they still go out there and skate.
:\

windspirit

On the Ice
Re: Re: Not Surprised

Pati said:
He did not skate like a novice. He skated like a champ with serious problems.
Thought so, too. And I have a great respect for him for how he handled himself. After his second fall he had sheer terror in his eyes, yet he continued to skate as if he had never fallen. That shows a great control, professionalism, and the heart of a champion. My hat's off to you, Timothy Goebel.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Re: Re: Not Surprised

Pati said:
[Why wouldn't he skate if he couldn't medal? Ask all the other guys out there that won't medal, not now nor ever, yet they still go out there and skate.
:\

Well said.

There are other skaters I would prefer to watch, but this young man has earned a mountain of respect from me with his attitude and work ethic. We have lost far too many skates to injuries over the last two years, let's not throw this one away.

Nan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Blue Bead said:
While Tim's withdrawal is terribly sad, it isn't unexpected. I, too, am wondering about the "distinct changes" to the anatomical structure of his feet. I'm wondering if the problems that have been plaguing him with his boots have, indeed, changed the way the bones in his feet are aligned. Thus, causing him pain. Anybody have any medical knowledge about such things as this?

Blue Bead

not really, but my dad has some weird cyst on his foot that's genetics, and it only recently surfaced. Dad's wondering if they may have the same foot problem LOL