Gracie Gold addresses issues of weight | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold addresses issues of weight

brightphoton

Medalist
Guess what was on the front page of Yahoo? An article about figure skating! In a non-Olympic year!

Gracie Gold addresses issues of weight, physical shape in skating
by Christine Brennan

“You don’t often see — there aren’t that many — you just don’t see overweight figure skaters for a reason. It’s just something I’ve struggled with this whole year and in previous seasons. It’s just difficult when you’re trying to do the difficult triple jumps. It’s something that I am addressing but it’s obviously not where it should be for this caliber of competition.”

A journalist picked up immediately on her use of the word “overweight,” saying correctly and appropriately that Gold looks slim.

“Oh, that’s lovely, thank you,” she replied. “It’s just not what’s required for this sport. It’s a lean body sport and it’s just not what I have currently, but, thank you.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ssues-weight-physical-shape-skating/92618094/

Fun fact: Another article on the front page of Yahoo was "Mila Kunis Goes Grocery Shopping: Pics!" :slink:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yahoo personalizes content. I had neither of these articles. :) But this issue is discussed extensively in the other Gracie Gold thread.

brightphoton

Medalist
Yahoo personalizes content. I had neither of these articles. :) But this issue is discussed extensively in the other Gracie Gold thread.

nooooooooooo the network of super computer AI keyword algorithm thinks I want to see more pictures of celebrities going grocery shopping

at least they got the figure skating part right

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I get to read the article by answering None Of The Above to a list of weird words as allergy meds.

I think a big part of her weight concern is an effect of the pressure of doing triple jumps to compete against the young slim skaters who are winning competitions with loads of them triples.

At least she is aware of her mental issue and of the support she can rely on.

She is still the one the general media focus on because of her ice princess looks.

Rissa

Record Breaker
“Oh, that’s lovely, thank you,” she replied. “It’s just not what’s required for this sport. It’s a lean body sport and it’s just not what I have currently, but, thank you.”

:shocked: :jaw:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I understand that she's a wreck right now, and I really do feel for her, but this is dangerous territory for someone who's admired by so many young girls. I'm willing to bet that most of her young fans aren't as thin as she is and a lot probably aren't even close. So if she's going around saying she's overweight, what does that tell the little girls who admire her? And how would this look to someone who actually IS overweight?

It's so sad that she's been allowed to get to this place mentally, and it breaks my heart to see her saying this, but someone needs to remind her that most of her fans are impressionable young girls.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think her weight is fine. The issue is her mentality. And since her mentality is that bad, she believes the fault is at her weight and she couldn't control her weight. Gezzz she still lands beautiful 3Lz3T.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So if she's going around saying she's overweight, what does that tell the little girls who admire her? And how would this look to someone who actually IS overweight?

She was asked specifically about her stamina, and her explanation was that she was overweight in the context of what is required to successfully do triple jumps. Gracie is obviously frustrated that her conditioning isn't where she wants it to be. I appreciate her honesty, even though some people might be offended or hurt by her comments.

andromache

Record Breaker
I understand that she's a wreck right now, and I really do feel for her, but this is dangerous territory for someone who's admired by so many young girls. I'm willing to bet that most of her young fans aren't as thin as she is and a lot probably aren't even close. So if she's going around saying she's overweight, what does that tell the little girls who admire her? And how would this look to someone who actually IS overweight?

It's so sad that she's been allowed to get to this place mentally, and it breaks my heart to see her saying this, but someone needs to remind her that most of her fans are impressionable young girls.

I totally see where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I like seeing skaters be somewhat open about these topics. The weight standard in figure skating is wayyyyy different than regular life - that's a fact. I hope whoever is actually in charge of the well-being of each of the young girls who look up to Gracie simply explain this to them.

I also respect that she's been open about suffering from depression post-Worlds. I don't want role models to feel pressured to stay quiet about what's troubling them. Depression doesn't need to be secret or something shameful.

Plus, Gracie herself is only 21. Being a role model for young girls is a huge burden for anyone - but probably even more difficult when you yourself are still so young. Most 21 year olds aren't completely capable of being responsible for themselves, never mind taking responsibility for how what they say impacts children.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I read this, I wondered if Gracie might have a body image problem. I thought she looked very thin at SA, especially in the face.

noskates

Record Breaker
Sorry, but I would LOVE to be as overweight as Gracie Gold!!! Just saying...................

I always wonder when someone makes statements like hers if they're (1) taken out of context; (2) published with no voice inflection or personality involved; or (3) it's just a sound bite that gets blown out of proportion. Have you looked at this young woman's figure? She's gorgeous.

TGee

Record Breaker
I totally see where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I like seeing skaters be somewhat open about these topics. The weight standard in figure skating is wayyyyy different than regular life - that's a fact. I hope whoever is actually in charge of the well-being of each of the young girls who look up to Gracie simply explain this to them.

I also respect that she's been open about suffering from depression post-Worlds. I don't want role models to feel pressured to stay quiet about what's troubling them. Depression doesn't need to be secret or something shameful.

Plus, Gracie herself is only 21. Being a role model for young girls is a huge burden for anyone - but probably even more difficult when you yourself are still so young. Most 21 year olds aren't completely capable of being responsible for themselves, never mind taking responsibility for how what they say impacts children.

Sincerely concerned about Gracie's well-being.

Was just reading Tessa Virtue on the pressure she's had from the media to conform to a certain body type, and how her ice dance partner Scott supports her in resisting it....

A feature sponsored by Dove -- for whom she's signed on as a spokesperson for the Dove "My body, My Say" campaign

Tessa Virtue is Sick of Being Told She's Too Fat and Not Good Enough

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07/27/tessa-virtue-body-image_n_11194928.html

And a recent tweet fromTessa.... https://twitter.com/tessavirtue?lang=en

Really hope that Gracie has some supportive voices like Scott's to help her push back the pressure...

---------------------------------------------------
Editing to add:

Elizabeth Manley's experience with anxiety, depression and body image as a competitive skater may be relevant:

http://www.640toronto.com/2016/05/2...es-the-struggles-of-image-in-sport-for-women/

vhttp://slam.canoe.com/Slam/FigureSkating/2012/07/20/20010091.html

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Just bumped into this flashback Toronto Star opinion piece looking at the ladies podium at Skate Canada 2013

Skate Canada: Skinny on female skaters isn't pretty

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skat...ny_on_female_skaters_isnt_pretty_dimanno.html

Ironically, Gracie who was the bronze medallist, is held up at the end of the article as the one bucking the trend/pressure..

Sheesh, are they all overachieving skinny-minnie freaks?
At which point bronze medallist Gracie Gold, 18-year-old (relocated) California girl, offers her normalcy-chops: movies, watching TV, going to the beach.

desertskates

Medalist
I just wish she had chosen her words more carefully. Had it just been "I'm a little under-trained at this point" we wouldn't even be having these discussions. :eek:hwell:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At which point bronze medallist Gracie Gold, 18-year-old (relocated) California girl, offers her normalcy-chops: movies, watching TV, going to the beach.

Equally, I think calling girls "over-achieving skinny-minnie freaks" is just as unhelpful, especially when one of those who is being described as such is just fifteen years old. Good grief. But I'm not surprised it was DeManno.

When I heard what Gracie had said, my initial reaction was a wry grin and a "wish I was as overweight as you, Gracie!". But when I watched it later, there was no smile. She was obviously in a very bad place and I hope she has support to help her out of it.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It's not just the women, either. I read recently that Takahito Mura has lost 1.5kg or something, because he'd "bulked up too much to jump". I remember a video with Patrick Chan talking about how he lost weight and was still "bigger" than pencil-thin Yuzuru and Boyang.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Just bumped into this flashback Toronto Star opinion piece looking at the ladies podium at Skate Canada 2013

Skate Canada: Skinny on female skaters isn't pretty

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skat...ny_on_female_skaters_isnt_pretty_dimanno.html

Ironically, Gracie who was the bronze medallist, is held up at the end of the article as the one bucking the trend/pressure..

This article sounds just like body shaming, but then again it's by DiManno who described Jin Boyang as a "jump freak." I find her extremely rude and unconstructive. It doesn't offer any solutions or real critique and is just meant to tear down the three skaters who were on the podium. Even Jack Gallagher is better and he's pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. I'm actually pretty offended by this article as someone who has struggled with my weight and body image for a very long time. Her words are not of concern, she can take it and shove it. Weight is very sensitive subject and DiManno talking about throwing sandwiches and calling them names like stick insects doesn't help.

Gracie is dealing with a lot and I just hope she can bounce back and have confidence in herself because she is too talented to sit in the sidelines.